PDA

View Full Version : B.I.G. Rider Settings

ShawnB
05-01-2011, 09:42 AM
I have been trying to figure out the rider settings portion of the B.I.G. and ran into something strange. When I change to a rider that has ballast settings, the ballast does not auto fill. And when I switch to something like 'econo cruise' which has no ballast, the ballast does not empty. Is there some way to initialize this so that I don't have to use the hard switches for ballast? Seems like I am missing something obvious...

Or
05-02-2011, 03:27 AM
I do the same, and the ballast empty/fill when needed

you hit "select" after you loaded a rider?

Or
05-02-2011, 03:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85CoNjFc-wY - go to 1:16

ShawnB
05-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the link, Or. I am doing exactly what Zane does to select the rider but the ballast is not filling.

Or
05-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I do what Zane does and it works for me with no problem...

ShawnB
05-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Well that is encouraging -- at least it's supposed to work the way I thought. Now I just have to figure out why mine doesn't.

Or
05-03-2011, 05:35 AM
ShawnB, You have the plug&play on your boat? if you do, that's the reason the ballast won't fill..

ShawnB
05-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Oh that's not good. Is there a way to re-enable it? I want the BIG to control the hard tanks on the boat through profiles and to manually fill the plug-and-play via switches (most riders won't be using the extra ballast).

Or
05-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Oh that's not good. Is there a way to re-enable it? I want the BIG to control the hard tanks on the boat through profiles and to manually fill the plug-and-play via switches (most riders won't be using the extra ballast).

I'm in the same problem...
on my 2010 I didn't have the plug&play and got used to work with the pre-settings

when I upgraded to my current 2011 I've orderd the plug&play.. (that I use only for wakesurfing).
needless to say my disappointment when I found out that the pre-set is not working!
already burned 2 green impellers this session... (about 40 hours) :mad:

ShawnB
05-04-2011, 09:50 AM
I burned an impeller out too before hour number 3 was on the boat. I'm sure that someone other than the two of us has some more info on this... 2011 owners? Dealers?? MasterCraft???

Eagle
05-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Shawn, I tried this morning on my 2011 X-25 with PnP. When I selected a rider that has full ballast in the profile, it filled the tanks. I created another profile with empty ballast, and when I selected it, it emptied the tanks. I do notice that emptying one of the side tanks (I think it was starboard) takes a long time -- maybe I should check my impeller.

Or
05-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Shawn, I tried this morning on my 2011 X-25 with PnP. When I selected a rider that has full ballast in the profile, it filled the tanks. I created another profile with empty ballast, and when I selected it, it emptied the tanks. I do notice that emptying one of the side tanks (I think it was starboard) takes a long time -- maybe I should check my impeller.

Really?! when you select a rider with empty ballast it's stop automatically?
Do the red LED in the ballast buttons are working when it runs???

Eagle
05-06-2011, 01:24 AM
I selected a rider profile with 0% ballast and it automatically emptied the tanks. The red lights went on for the ballast switches. I don't recall if the pumps and/or switches went off automatically or what. When the tanks were at 0% (though I don't remember if the red lights were still on), I switched to a rider profile with 100% ballast to set it up for next time out, but mistakenly activated it, so the tanks started filling again and then I manually emptied, rather than switching to the Econo Cruise rider.

I will pay closer attention next time to the behavior and report in.

Or
05-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Eagle - you have the p&p on your boat? if soo that's great news for me!

almost lost another impellor this weekend. :mad: i've noticed the pump is on only when the boat was on the trailer,

I really don't understand why there is no "run dry" protection on the pumps... :confused:

I'm not supposed to use the stereo when I fill/empty the ballast?! it's not written on the manual! :mad: :rant:

Or
05-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Just got news from my dealer

no timers
no run dry protection
no pre-setting for the BIG

I'm really disappointed with the plug&play... I think MC should think on a make-over for the system... next boat for sure won't add the system :mad:

ShawnB
05-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Yeah, disappointed doesn't even begin to cover it. Plug and play costs 3260 dollars on an X25 and the bags are another 700ish. And oh, by the way, it makes the rider settings screen a bit useless since you have to manually set your ballast for each rider. 6.2 hours on the boat and one impeller has died and another is already giving some trouble.

Putting all of that aside, it's time to figure out how to make it work correctly. Anyone know how to reprogram a B.I.G.? :)

ShawnB
05-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Argh. Just saw a service bulletin about this.

"As stated in the Owners Manual, the functionality that would exist with the standard MasterCraft ballast systems, does not integrate with Plug ‘n Play. Therefore, consumers should be made aware that pre-sets in the BIG system will not be retainable. Timers are also not usable. The lighted tip in the ballast pump switch will not function with Plug ‘n Play."

I'm sure it's stated in the manual but you don't get a manual until after the boat is delivered. If I had known this was the case before buying the boat I never would have ordered this option. So bottom line: Don't order plug-and-play from the factory unless a) you like replacing impellers or b) you aren't planning to use the B.I.G.

Or
05-12-2011, 06:45 AM
b) you aren't planning to use the B.I.G.[/B]

You meant the Ballast...

ShawnB
05-12-2011, 07:19 AM
You meant the Ballast...

I meant the rider settings. We asked our dealer to talk to the engineers and get us more info about why P&P locks out these features. We'll see what comes out of it.

Or
05-12-2011, 12:18 PM
keep me posted

Eagle
05-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Guys, sorry if I'm dense but I'm having trouble understanding what problems you're having.

I have an X-25 with PnP. Normal situation, the PnP valves are off. I use the BIG to choose a rider with full tanks, and it automatically fills the tanks and shuts off. When I'm done I either empty the tanks manually, or select Econo Cruise rider (0 ballast) and which then empties the tanks and shuts off automatically.

I've only used PnP once. The tanks were full, I flipped the valves for PnP and manually filled the bags. To empty, I manually emptied the bags. Then flipped the valves back to hard tank, and emptied the hard tanks as usual (that time was manual).

What should be working for you that isn't?

ShawnB
05-13-2011, 03:31 PM
You got lucky. I would be very happy I mine worked that way but it doesn't and according o the manual it isn't supposed to. Hopefully theres a way I get it to work like yours does -- that's all I am asking for.

Eagle
05-13-2011, 04:12 PM
What goes wrong with yours, Shawn?

I've only tried PnP twice, the first time on the delivery outing with my dealer, and once by myself. So maybe I'm going to have problems like you and Or.