PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust bolts leaking

m591
04-30-2011, 11:51 PM
I noticed today after an oil change that a couple of my exhaust manifold bolts are seeping water. One bolt on each side of the motor. Also the 90 degree bend at the front of the port exhaust manifold is seeping water also.
How do I stop the bolts and this fitting from leaking?
Why are they leaking?
I have checked and all the bolts are tight and so is the fitting.
The boat is a 2001 Xstar.
Thanks in advance for the help!

m591
05-01-2011, 02:34 PM
It might help if I posted a picture so here it is of the offending bolts.

wakescene
05-01-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm pretty sure most peoples manifolds do this. Iirc it's a condensation thing after the motor is turned off and begins to cool. Mine does this and over time creates some scaling on the underside of the manifold. I personally am not to concerned about it, but maybe others can chime in with their experiences.

mart_it
05-02-2011, 10:09 AM
There is no way water can seep from those holes!
Wakescene is right, your getting scale from the motor condensating, not from it seeping through the bolt holes.

m591
05-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Is it possible to have cracked the manifold and therefore be getting some water through those bolts? The water that I saw was while the engine was running. For now, I have pulled the manifolds and will replace the 90 elbows and re install with new RTV and riser gaskets, hoping that will solve the leaking. Thoughts?

wakescene
05-03-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm going to venture a guess and say not possible. Even if you did crack it, it would have to have cracked thru to the water-jacket internally.

In that section of the manifold, your basically in the exhaust section. The water-jacket surrounds the exhaust internally, but not that low where the bolts are. Additionally, the bolt holes are drilled out thru solid material right next to the exhaust port. If anything, I think you would have an exhaust leak then a water leak.

If you feel like cleaning them up some, search for exhaust threads, or check this one out to get a sense of the work. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=39875&highlight=exhaust

Splash
05-03-2011, 05:15 PM
are you sure you don't have the same problem as me?

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33869

m591
05-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the good info. After a wire brush and naval jelly, they cleaned up pretty well. I just finished painting them with engine enamel and will re-install them when the gaskets get here. I hope this will stop the leaks! :D