PDA

View Full Version : Hole in fuel tank!

dirtk38
04-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Help! In the process of removing the piece between the floor and backrest of the rear seat in my '98 prostar 205, I managed to find a hole in my fuel tank. Apparently a PO replaced one of the screws with one that was too long and screwed it straighted into the tank. So, when I removed that screw, I unknowingly created a hole in the tank. Took me a while to realize that though, so I've got a nice puddle of fuel in the floor right now. Anyhow...can anyone recommend a good way to patch a hole in these plastic fuel tanks? Is there any sort of glue or epoxy that will set with fuel still in the tank and slowly dripping out? Any chance I can do a permanent fix and not have to replace the tank?

Thanks!!

06x2
04-30-2011, 05:46 PM
You could try putting the screw back in clean it up with some brake clean or alcohol let dry and if it doesn't leak cover it with some 5min epoxy. But if if gas is still leaking I don't think you will find anything that will cure due to gasolines solvent carscteristics

samgreazy
04-30-2011, 06:13 PM
There is Alot of different epoxy glues at autozone or somewhere similar that sall patch kits for all kinds of fuel tanks...shouldn't be too big of a deal

Thrall
04-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Stainless steel screw with a rubber washer on it would work I'd think.
If it wasn't leaking with the screw in it it should be fine with a screw and washer.
Also gas tank patch/repair kits will hold up with fuel leaking, don't know it they will stick to plastic though.

gatorguy
04-30-2011, 06:37 PM
You could try draining tank, filling with water so that you eleminate any space for gas vapor, then put your stainless screw in, and finally encapsilate it with some of that plastic weld. It will require an open flame, so you will be literally playing with fire, thus the need to fill the tank with water.

Just my $0.02. If you do it, it works, and you don't blow up let us know.

dirtk38
04-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Stainless steel screw with a rubber washer on it would work I'd think.
If it wasn't leaking with the screw in it it should be fine with a screw and washer.

Good idea. I think this may be what I end up doing, then maybe some epoxy over the screw after everything dries and I clean it up.

Just my $0.02. If you do it, it works, and you don't blow up let us know.

Ha! Love it. Not a bad idea either though.

If I were to mess with actually replacing the tank, are replacements readily available for '98 prostars?

Thanks for the responses everyone. I knew I'd have some good ideas within minutes of posting...I love this forum!

Jerseydave
04-30-2011, 10:55 PM
PC7 might work (local auto store)

I would ask your local radiator repair shop about it. There are plastic welders on the market that some of these shops use to fix plastic radiators. (they look like oversize soldering tools)

Some body shops use them also to fix bumper covers.

bobx1
05-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Just curious if something like this might work with some 3M 5200 (or epoxy, as suggested):

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Honda_Push_Type_Clip_CR_V_S2000_p/a20910.htm

atlfootr
05-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Try some good 'ole silly putty!

Thrall
05-01-2011, 09:10 PM
That 5200 sticks good to gel and fiberglass. I think you're on the right track. Plug the hole and then cover it with some epoxy. May as well try the easy stuff first before pulling the tank, plastic weld, new tank, etc.

Huskie05
05-02-2011, 01:38 AM
I was thinking about this all day. We were out on our boat for a little while today. If I had a leak, I could never rest easy knowing that there was a hole there. The slight chance that there could be a leak in 2-3 months or what ever time frame would always have me worried. especially having the fumes down in the bilge and starting the motor. How costly is the tank to replace? How costly is the family riding in the boat? I think I would have to replace the tank, peace of mind decision.

My 2 cents

Huskie05
05-13-2011, 02:09 PM
any update on how you fixed the hole in the tank?

dirtk38
05-13-2011, 04:38 PM
any update on how you fixed the hole in the tank?

I put a new stainless screw in the hole that was slightly bigger than the one that the idiot used originally. Also put a rubber O-ring (supposedly fuel-proof, from autozone) on it that was compressed by a stainless washer. My plan is to seal around the screw with some epoxy that I bought that is fuel (and hopefully fool)-proof. I hope to do the sealing this weekend, but so far it appears that the screw and O-ring sealed the leak.

Too bad it also stained my carpet and ate the carpet glue :(.

kskonn
05-13-2011, 05:51 PM
I am a little late to the game on this one but if it would help I sale for a company that is a very large distributor of 3M and Loctite epoxies. A number of them are not available through consumer outlets, specifically the Marine line of Epoxies. Let me know if you want me to look into which one would work and send you a sample tube.

psychobilly
05-13-2011, 06:09 PM
That is one kewl offer kskonn!