PDA

View Full Version : impeller question/bimini top question

john jones
04-29-2011, 05:37 PM
I was curious, when you drain your engine block. manifolds etc. Do you pull the impeller out and lube it before starting it at the lake? Or do you start it up at the lake and wait for the pump to suck up the water? Not sure if any damage is caused, or if there is a preferred method.

My next question is, I am looking for a bimini top for my 89 Tristar, would a stock bimini top from a 99ps work? I posted a add looking for one and I have had a response, I was curious if it would fit

thanks

yippikaiyay
04-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Re: Impeller. I always replace my impeller with a new one, every year, and lube the impeller before startup, while having a water hose for supply. I'm told the lube just prevents damage to the impeller between the time of startup to when the water makes it to the pump. I do this in the driveway - that way it's easy to make sure everything is ready to go before launching.

woobiedmd
04-29-2011, 06:22 PM
I definitely agree with replacing it every season. It's cheap and fast versus the horror stories of having the impeller fail on the water and having tiny bits of rubber sucked into the cooling system. I'm sure more horror stories to follow.

john jones
04-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the replies, I guess I should have specified. Can I leave the water in the motor between uses? I was draining it out each time, which made me wonder if the impeller could be damaged if you didn't lube it. I installed a new one for the season, just want to make sure I am doing the right thing so it lasts all season long.

east tx skier
04-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Yes, during the ski season, by all means, leave the water in the engine and don't worry about a recently replaced, i.e., that season, impeller unless you notice the operating temp. spiking above 160 under operating conditions (heat sink when the engine is off is normal).

john jones
04-29-2011, 07:46 PM
east tx, you seem knowledgeable on these boats, do you think that the bimini top from a '99 PS 190, would work on my Tristar?

east tx skier
04-29-2011, 07:49 PM
99 PS 190 is probably wider at the mounting locations, but the only way to be sure is to measure. Bimini tops are a tough used buy unless it's going from the same model, and even then, it may have been cut for a different mounting location.

I'm trying my best to seem knowledgeable.

Welcome to teamtalk.

trguy
04-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Last summer, I bought a bimini top from IBoats.com for my '88 Tristar 190.

From the ticket, it is a 3 bow Sunbrella made by Westland Industries. The dimensions are 32inches high, 79 inches long, and 84 inches wide. It fits perfectly and offers all the protection we were looking for. It stores just forward of the windshield.