PDA

View Full Version : Fire it up!!!

chawk610
04-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Ok... I have seen the "plunger" and "bucket" types of Fake a lakes... has anyone heard of hooking the water hose directly to the water inlet hose in the moter compartment? I saw it on another forum. I need to get the oil changed this weekend as well as tune up to the dist. cap. So I need to get the old girl started. Any advice?

WilliM1940
04-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Works for me. Hose goes straight into the 1" rubber inlet tube and use the hose clamp to secure. Best to not run it much more than at an idle because you can suck the hose to collapse depending on how much volume your house is capable of providing. Keep a close eye on the temperature and exhaust manifold temps.

94PS190
04-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Use the bucket, just as easy. It's foolproof and you know your getting all of the water you need.

flipper
04-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Any one of the three ways will work just fine

chawk610
04-29-2011, 11:34 AM
good point... i can see the level of water in the bucket that way...

jconover
04-29-2011, 09:27 PM
hooking the hose directly to the inlet can force water into the engine if it is not running - this can cause a variety of non-desirable damage. Bucket method is much safer

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-29-2011, 10:47 PM
hooking the hose directly to the inlet can force water into the engine if it is not running - this can cause a variety of non-desirable damage. Bucket method is much safer

What type of non desirable damage are you talking about?

jconover
04-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Seems to me I remember reading that you can get water up against the cylinder heads if you have water pressure from the manifold side? would have to google it here

Kyle
04-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Seems to me I remember reading that you can get water up against the cylinder heads if you have water pressure from the manifold side? would have to google it here

I sure would like an explanation how water would end up in the valves.

If you put the hose or fake a lake on the boat not running you should be able to leave it running water for as long as you desire without the engine running. The raw water impeller 1st sucks harder than the hose pressure. 2nd without the engine running how can water pressure get past the impeller that is not spinning. If the engine is not turning then it will stop up the hose and will not allow any pressure get past the impeller leaving it impossible to fill the engine with water. It will clog the hose and drain out of the hose inlet into the bildge or the fake a lake seal on the bottom of the boat. So damaging your engine is nonsense.

jconover
04-30-2011, 12:13 AM
Well, if you scroll back up, you will see he asked about putting the hose directly into the water intake, which would mean you are forcing water towards the impeller that could potentially push past the impeller and into the engine.

Kyle
04-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Well, if you scroll back up, you will see he asked about putting the hose directly into the water intake, which would mean you are forcing water towards the impeller that could potentially push past the impeller and into the engine.

I would like to see that. The impeller will block flow completely from bottom intake hose to top engine side intake hose that will be controlled by a thermostat. I get it... He is putting a garden hose on the intake side running through trans cooler hopefully and running low pressure to a non spinning impeller that will block all flow through the raw pump. Even if some went and seeped through the pressure will never be enough to flow up to the t stat. It's impossible. Take the impeller cover off and look at how many veins are smashed in a tiny area blocking the passage to the exit or hose flowing water to the engine. You could hook up a pressure washer to the intake hose and the impeller will block the water from going into the engine. In this case you have a better chance of getting struck by lightining or winning the lottery than forcing water into the valves.

Kyle
04-30-2011, 12:29 AM
If you don't believe me then disconnect the top hose at tstat and turn the water on. Then see how much will seep past the impeller if you don't believe me.

Your pressure theory would mean that if you needed to be towed off the lake then you would have to be pulled backwards back to the dock. This would eliminate the brass intake under the boat from catching water and forcing it up to the impeller and eventually filling up the engine. The intake is designed to force water up to the impeller.

Say you do get to fill up the engine it will run through the exhaust and run out the back since the water mixes with the exhaust half way down to the mufflers where the rubber hoses attaches to the riser, but that would never happen.

So if water pressure against the impeller will cause mechanical failure we should all start pulling a Mastercraft that is in distress from the stern.

east tx skier
04-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Regardless of the answer of whether the impeller seals off the rest of the engine, if you put a T in the intake line with a ball valve on it, you can hook up a hose. If the impeller isn't pulling water, then the water will just go out through the hull intake.

Kyle
04-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Thank you ETS.

The reason it will back flow out of the intake is the impeller blocks the flow to the engine as it would if you put a garden hose in the intake line it would back flow into the bilge around the garden hose, and the seal on the bottom of the boat with a fake a lake will leak before an impeller will allow water to inter the engine.

Many people question getting water into the engine. It's a waste of energy and it's nonsense. If it gets into the engine it's because you already had major issues prior.

I have used fake a lake and hose crammed into the intake on many different boats. None of them had any mechanical issues due to running water while the engine is off.

Hoosier Bob
04-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Easiest way is to fill your bilge with water. Then just stick the intake hose into the bilge! Should last a an hour or so! :D

thatsmrmastercraft
04-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Easiest way is to fill your bilge with water. Then just stick the intake hose into the bilge! Should last a an hour or so! :D

Great idea HB. Put in some soap and you can clean your boat inside and out!

macattack
04-30-2011, 12:27 PM
I've used this setup for 5 years; no problems; the ball valve saves you from getting in/out of the boat to turn the hose on/off and if you are really worried about "forcing" water past the impellor, then you can turn your engine on first, then turn the ball valve lever to on...pretty much instant water to your engine...mac

thatsmrmastercraft
04-30-2011, 12:44 PM
I've used this setup for 5 years; no problems; the ball valve saves you from getting in/out of the boat to turn the hose on/off and if you are really worried about "forcing" water past the impellor, then you can turn your engine on first, then turn the ball valve lever to on...pretty much instant water to your engine...mac

Only problem with this set-up is there is no water to your transmission cooler.

Hoosier Bob
04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Exactly. Not that it is being driven but still gets hot.;)Only problem with this set-up is there is no water to your transmission cooler.

macattack
04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Only problem with this set-up is there is no water to your transmission cooler.

:confused: Disagree...the location I am using on the impellor housing is where the hose is normally attached to the bottom of the hull...no difference in water flow for the engine than usual. You can see the trans cooler in the top rt corner of the pic; the top hose off the impellor housing goes directly there...mac

PS: This is a MCX

Hoosier Bob
04-30-2011, 01:27 PM
You are speaking to a guy with a 93'. My bad. Mine comes from the strainer to the cooler and then to the pump/imp housing. Your setup would not cool an older ride. :confused: Disagree...the location I am using on the impellor housing is where the hose is normally attached to the bottom of the hull...no difference in water flow for the engine than usual. You can see the trans cooler in the top rt corner of the pic; the top hose off the impellor housing goes directly there...mac

thatsmrmastercraft
04-30-2011, 01:28 PM
:confused: Disagree...the location I am using on the impellor housing is where the hose is normally attached to the bottom of the hull...no difference in water flow for the engine than usual. You can see the trans cooler in the top rt corner of the pic; the top hose off the impellor housing goes directly there...mac

I stand corrected. You guys and your new boats:rolleyes::D

Hoosier Bob
04-30-2011, 01:29 PM
PS I think there is a rule somewhere that any pics of an MCX have to include the top end and intake! Awesome looking BTW.

Kyle
04-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Macs trans cooler is not in-between the raw pump and the hull it is after the raw pump. He can put the hose there.

Kyle
04-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Y'all beat me to it. iPhone on 3G network is slow.

macattack
04-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Thanks! Thought I was having a senior moment, and I am not old enough yet, I think:D

Kyle
04-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Mac did you forget to take your namenda today. :)

macattack
04-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Mac did you forget to take your namenda today. :)

Apparently! Here's a better pic for those old timers:D

macattack
04-30-2011, 03:02 PM
You are speaking to a guy with a 93'. My bad. Mine comes from the strainer to the cooler and then to the pump/imp housing. Your setup would not cool an older ride.

Hey HB, couldn't you use my setup, but connect directly to your trans cooler if I understand the routing of your RW intake hoses from the hull??

east tx skier
04-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Thank you ETS.

The reason it will back flow out of the intake is the impeller blocks the flow to the engine as it would if you put a garden hose in the intake line it would back flow into the bilge around the garden hose, and the seal on the bottom of the boat with a fake a lake will leak before an impeller will allow water to inter the engine.

Many people question getting water into the engine. It's a waste of energy and it's nonsense. If it gets into the engine it's because you already had major issues prior.

I have used fake a lake and hose crammed into the intake on many different boats. None of them had any mechanical issues due to running water while the engine is off.

My answer works regardless of whethernthe seal is watertight. But if I'm going to the trouble of unhooking a hose, I'm dipping the other end in a bucket. ;)

Thrall
04-30-2011, 06:39 PM
I understand the principle of getting enough water to the engine, but I've run my LT-1 and MCX numerous tiimesdirectly off the garden hose with no ill effects. Maybe if you were running long enough to heat soak the engine it would be an issue, but under no load it will take a LONG time to overheat a small block chevy (or ford) as long as there's some water going to it.
My old Prostar had a quick disconnect for a garden hose just upstream of the trans cooler, worked great. New boat I just disconnect the r/w hose from the inlet and stick the garden hose in.
I've always worked off the theroy that you could potentially flood the crank case thru the exhaust ports if you left the engine off and the water on, but I've never tested the theory nor have I had occasion to pull exhaust manifolds, so I don't know if it's possible to get water into the cylinders or not.

Hoosier Bob
04-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Exactly what I do with a bucket setup. I have the valve at the end of the hose. Fill the bucket and go. Bucket is setup with a radiator hose connected from fittings I cemented into the bucket to the cooler. You have blue valve covers? Is your plenum/intake blue as well? MCK rule show the top. I have only seen the red MCX. Very cool.:DHey HB, couldn't you use my setup, but connect directly to your trans cooler if I understand the routing of your RW intake hoses from the hull??

macattack
04-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Exactly what I do with a bucket setup. I have the valve at the end of the hose. Fill the bucket and go. Bucket is setup with a radiator hose connected from fittings I cemented into the bucket to the cooler. You have blue valve covers? Is your plenum/intake blue as well? MCK rule show the top. I have only seen the red MCX. Very cool.:D

Sounds like your setup works great!

Tks for the "blue" comments; here's the rest!

Lars
05-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Lookin good mac :)

Thrall
05-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Wow, cool! I've only seen them in red.

tph
05-02-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm not a fan of the forced water methods. Over the years this method has fooled me twice.
(You'd think I'd learn the first time) On both occasions, the vanes on my impeller were damaged and the forced water bypassed the damaged impeller and kept the engine at a cool 165 on the trailer. Once I was on the lake... big time overheat! The "T" fitting, valve, hose and bucket setup forces the impeller to do it's job and pull the water into the engine. Much better.

chawk610
05-02-2011, 11:54 AM
ok... dang... all this info... the bucket seems ike the way to go... thanks everyone!

Hoosier Bob
05-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Very cool! First I have seen in blue. That is one great looking ride!:DSounds like your setup works great!

Tks for the "blue" comments; here's the rest!

ahhudgins
05-02-2011, 09:39 PM
I put a new impeller in the boat every spring when I start it up. Iím not going to chance an over heated motor or the embarrassment of being towed in by a Bayliner on my first day out. Itís cheap insurance.

Iíve been using the garden hose connected to the transmission cooler for 30 years and on 3 different boats. It IS true that the bucket method actually tests the impeller, but like I said, I install a new one any way. Itís just quicker for me to shove the garden hose into the other hose and tighten the hose clamp. I only run mine at idle for a few minutes to check everything out and then Iím off to the lake. Itís personal preference.

As one other poster stated, you can NOT force water into the engine using the garden hose unless you already have some other problem, in which case you would be having some other issues. Any water that gets passed the impeller goes out the exhaust manifolds and out the exhaust. Unless youíve taken a riser and exhaust manifold apart, you wouldnít understand. You would have to plug up the exhaust AND have a bad riser gasket in order to get water into an exhaust port.

DooSPX
05-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Regardless of the answer of whether the impeller seals off the rest of the engine, if you put a T in the intake line with a ball valve on it, you can hook up a hose. If the impeller isn't pulling water, then the water will just go out through the hull intake.

That is exactly what I have done to my boat. A T with hose fitting and a ball valve. Works great for MANY years!:D

chawk610
05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
I put a new impeller in the boat every spring when I start it up. Iím not going to chance an over heated motor or the embarrassment of being towed in by a Bayliner on my first day out. Itís cheap insurance.

Iíve been using the garden hose connected to the transmission cooler for 30 years and on 3 different boats. It IS true that the bucket method actually tests the impeller, but like I said, I install a new one any way. Itís just quicker for me to shove the garden hose into the other hose and tighten the hose clamp. I only run mine at idle for a few minutes to check everything out and then Iím off to the lake. Itís personal preference.

As one other poster stated, you can NOT force water into the engine using the garden hose unless you already have some other problem, in which case you would be having some other issues. Any water that gets passed the impeller goes out the exhaust manifolds and out the exhaust. Unless youíve taken a riser and exhaust manifold apart, you wouldnít understand. You would have to plug up the exhaust AND have a bad riser gasket in order to get water into an exhaust port.

Ok... I'm not a mechaninc by any means.... so:
The water hose can just go to the hose that runs to the bottom of the boat... the water inlet?

WilliM1940
05-04-2011, 12:21 PM
OK, so this post is back to the beginning, the answer is yes, in my case I never run it above 1000 rpm, don't suck the hose to collapse. If it makes any difference, my boat looks just like yours.

ahhudgins
05-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Ok... I'm not a mechaninc by any means.... so:
The water hose can just go to the hose that runs to the bottom of the boat... the water inlet?

I am not saying that one way is better or worse than the other, it's definitely a personal preference (bucket or direct garden hose). What you said is correct. You can pull the water inlet hose off of the water pickup that is on the bottom of the hull and then place the garden hose in the hose and USE A HOSE CLAMP! If you don't use a hose clamp and you shut the engine off with the garden hose still running, the garden hose will pop out because when the impeller stops turning it will block most of the water from entering the engine.

The bucket method works fine as well. I use the hose method because it's quick and I only run the boat for a few minutes. On my V-drive the water pickup only has about a 1 foot piece of hose from the floor to the V-drive cooler. I take the hose off of the V-drive cooler and attach the garden hose to the cooler with a rubber hose that I keep in the boat. Takes all of about 30 seconds.

As others have stated (and I agree), the engine will draw more water than the garden hose can supply but it will not over heat. My rubber hose goes flat when the engine is at idle, but I still have plenty of water coming out of the exhaust and my temp gauge never gets above 100 degrees. Good luck and let us know which method you go with!:D

ahhudgins
05-04-2011, 12:26 PM
OK, so this post is back to the beginning, the answer is yes, in my case I never run it above 1000 rpm, don't suck the hose to collapse. If it makes any difference, my boat looks just like yours.

I like the boat too. I had a 79 with the exact same colors, only difference was the windshield shape. I love the black metal flake.

chawk610
05-04-2011, 12:48 PM
ok... again, thanks guys... I guess I was just paranoid of ruining my engine! I have to be hit over the head sometimes with details! :)

chawk610
05-04-2011, 12:48 PM
I like the boat too. I had a 79 with the exact same colors, only difference was the windshield shape. I love the black metal flake.

Thank you, we are proud of it!! And no boat payment to boot!!!!!

chawk610
05-06-2011, 07:36 AM
She fired up boys... she fired up!!! I forgot how good that V8 sounded! :)