PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Prostar no start

willdaly88
04-28-2011, 09:09 PM
I have a 1993 prostar 190 with ford 351 285HP. Boat has been running fine took it out two weeks ago and ran all weekend. Started it tuesday hooked up water and ran it for about thirty minutes on idle and parked it in the garage. pulled it out tonight to get ready for the lake and BAM it cranks but wont start. All ive done is wax the outside and armorall the interior. Ohh and put i for sale sign in the window. Is she mad at me for that or because I didn't use mothers car wax? Need help asap please. My fuel gauge sits on 1/4 and has been that way since middle of last summer. Could my fuel pump be bad? Any and all opinions please. We are on red alert here with less than 19 hours to departure.

EricB
04-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Did you check for fuel in the carb? Did you check for spark?

WTRSK1R
04-28-2011, 09:38 PM
I hate to ask the obvious question, but I will. While applying armor all, did you either intentionally, or accidentally knock the kill switch lanyard off? If you do, it will crank, but not start because you will have no spark. If it is not off, I would pull it off and put it back on before anything else since even spinning it on the mount could cause it to open if the switch is nearing the end of its life. The other thing I have done without thinking on a few occasions is leave the boat in gear and then it will not even crank, so you might try popping it in and out of gear just to be sure the neutral switch is not giving you grief.

Good Luck

mayo93prostar
04-28-2011, 09:39 PM
in addition to what EricB said, is safety lanyard installed? remove it and reset it. I have seen this cause a lot of frustration for people that assume it is there.
since it is turning over it is not likely the neutral safety switch, but check to be sure.
Check center of distributor cap wire to coil

Table Rocker
04-28-2011, 09:47 PM
A can of starting fluid is a cheap diagnostic tool. Spray the starting fluid while cranking, if it fires on the starting fluid you have a fuel problem. If it won't fire on the ether, you have an ignition problem.

supturb89
04-29-2011, 09:08 AM
You used Armour-All and not 303....did you get it figured out?

Hoosier Bob
04-29-2011, 09:50 AM
If the lanyard is off or broken you will not have gauges but it will crank. If you have gauges my guess is the nuetral switch. Run the throttle back and forth a few times. If it ran I would not mess with too much. Safety control of some kind.

willdaly88
04-29-2011, 12:26 PM
I have gone ahead and pulled my sending unit out so i could repair the magnets. It's strange I all my gauges are not coming on but my rpm gauge is sitting on 900. Does that mean anything? I had to let the epoxy for the sending unit harden up last night so i will install it and check the lanyard within the hour.

hoosier skier
04-30-2011, 09:42 AM
Had the same problem with my Supra that I was getting ready to sell . I found that the distributor cap had developed some cracks and with all the moisture in the air , it was bleading enough spark that the remaining was too weak to start. Spray the inside of the cap with wd 40 and try to start. If this works change the cap ! Remember fuel , air , ignition = fire

east tx skier
04-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Hope you get it worked out. Also, armour all will supposedly dry out the vinyl and cause it to crack over the long term. It being a 93, maybe you have disproved that theory over time, but I'd suggest something like 303, Vinylex, or Meguire's Vinyl Shine.

Hoosier Bob
04-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Fill the cap with WD40 and add spark? :DHad the same problem with my Supra that I was getting ready to sell . I found that the distributor cap had developed some cracks and with all the moisture in the air , it was bleading enough spark that the remaining was too weak to start. Spray the inside of the cap with wd 40 and try to start. If this works change the cap ! Remember fuel , air , ignition = fire

thatsmrmastercraft
04-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Had the same problem with my Supra that I was getting ready to sell . I found that the distributor cap had developed some cracks and with all the moisture in the air , it was bleading enough spark that the remaining was too weak to start. Spray the inside of the cap with wd 40 and try to start. If this works change the cap ! Remember fuel , air , ignition = fire

Fill the cap with WD40 and add spark? :D

Just completing the big three!:rolleyes:

oldairboater
05-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Check a plug wire with a plug to see if it is firing. Spray starter fluid in a unflooded motor and see if it tries to start. To run right a gas engine must have ignition, fuel, compression, exhaust in the right time. Simple trouble shooting gets you to the problem where you can narrow down the problem and make the repair.