PDA

View Full Version : fuel injection swap

77efisands
04-28-2011, 06:06 PM
I bought a 77 stars and stripes with out an engine in it. I got an engine from a 92 mustang so I can have fuel injection. The swap seem easy enough I got all the wireing and computer with the engine. My main question is that it is a closed system and needs O2 sensors mounted in the manifolds has anyone done this before and what is the best way to do it?

dmminfla
04-28-2011, 08:48 PM
I would ask JimN he seens to be the expert.

1redTA
04-28-2011, 09:32 PM
I would think you could run it without the O2's in open loop and tune it from there with some software or find some wet manifolds with 02 bungs. I have a friend who says he can do this for $200 for me, I told him it runs fine as is

CantRepeat
04-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Seems like it might be a lot harder to tune with out O2 feedback to the data logging software. I'm not sure how you would record lean rich issues without using O2s.

flipper
04-28-2011, 11:55 PM
I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on it. That motor isn't going to last long in a marine application. As for the O2 sensors, yes it can be done.

Thrall
04-29-2011, 03:14 AM
I'd be worried more about having a non-marine fuel system and the risk of explosion.
Is the motor throttle body injected or port injected. If it's the latter, probably less risky.

flipper
04-29-2011, 10:48 AM
I believe the 92's were throttle body

thatsmrmastercraft
04-29-2011, 11:14 AM
This should be the same basic engine used by PCM in the Correct Crafts in a non-marine form.
Not sure what would need to be changed short of frost plugs. There used to be oxygen sensor simulators in the early days of doing fuel injected engine swaps. Not sure if they are available still. The wiring harness would take quite a bit of selective trimming to eliminate non-used wiring. A new fuel tank and electric fuel pump would be required. This would be quite the project that once completed and all the bugs worked out, would give a satisfactory power plant with great driveability. All said and done, a carbed 351 would be simpler, cheaper and provide more power, but the cool factor of the Mustang engine would be big.

77efisands
04-29-2011, 06:40 PM
I do not think the wiring is going to be to difficult the enging wirng harness does not connect to the body harness so I do not have to eliminate any wires. I do not know what the difference is between the marine and auto engine, it is multiport injection so I think the risk of a fire should be less than a carb due to the fuel system being closed. Any tips idea or changes are greatly appreciated. I just would like fuel injection for the reliability and easy tuning, I know the install will be more difficult but after its in it should be easier.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-29-2011, 09:06 PM
The frost plugs will need to be replaced with brass.
You will need to have a flame arrestor.
The fuel tank will need to be modified to accept a high pressure pump.
New high pressure fuel lines.
Not sure what needs to be done for the over-flow line.
You will need to use a marine distributor, alternator and starter.

I think you will be best served with getting a good look at a Nautique with the fuel injected Ford engine to see how it is set up. Perhaps you can learn something from the PCM website.

It sounds like a very interesting project. I suspect the cam in the Mustang engine will provide adequate power at the RPM range run in the boat.