PDA

View Full Version : Follow your grounds...

wakescene
04-28-2011, 03:58 PM
I had been chasing a Alt whine issue since last summer, it wasn't real bad so I let it go until this spring. I boat in saltwater so I knew in the spring I had to fix some battery connections and could tackle the Alt whine as well. I hit everything, new battery wire ends, new heat shrink, replaced some iffy looking wire, cleaned starter wires, cleaned PWR/Grnd blocks under the dash, everything was cleaned and fixed right.
Over the years I have done it all in repairs short of a motor or tranny rebuild.

I know my boat VERY WELL, or at least I thought I did. While cleaning up I noticed an offensive looking Ground bolt under the ECM mounting plate! Doh! She was crusted up good with greenish/blueish/white corrosion.

Longer story longer...there is a 2nd ground bolt on the tranny housing in this same area that I had inspected and was totally clean so I didn't go any further in that area. I had failed/neglected to follow BOTH ground wires from the battery to the block. I assumed they both terminated to this same bolt. (some theories say they should be) Had I followed both from the beginning, I would have found this bolt no problem.

Lesson learned, I will never forget to actually follow ALL wires and inspect everything when I am doing work like this.

My $.02 for the day.
KG

Thrall
05-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Good post. Just got an engine whine out of my buddies X15 by checking all grounds. Found a bad RCA cable and had to ground out the case of the head unit.