PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Drive 10-17-006 rebuild price

bamoffthelip
04-28-2011, 10:40 AM
My boat flooded over the winter with rain, a torn cover, and my drain plug left in My tranny filled with water. I removed the tranny and took it to a shop in Costa Mesa, CA and today I got the estimate for a rebuild - about $2362 in parts and $784 in labor. I get a 20% discount because of an internet coupon.

The tranny worked fine before it flooded. The estimate says: INPUT SHAFT & COUPLING ARE PITTED. SIGNS OF RUST EVERYWHERE

Is this a fair price?

I found a guaranteed, used, checked and resealed 10-17-006 for sale from a shop in Missouri on ebay for $1000. I think I am leaning toward the used tranny. Also, I am considering rebuilding it myself. Any advice?

Thanks!
John

ski_king
04-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Looks like yuo can get a new one for just a little more than half of what they want to rebuild yours.

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA157001

bamoffthelip
04-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I've been shopping and I saw that. But, that 71C is a 1:1. My 10-17-006 is a 1.52:1, has a reduction gear and new seem to run about what the rebuild costs.

I am tempted to do the rebuild myself. It sounds like it's not too hard and I'm pretty good with mechanics. It seems that the shop I have it in points to water damage as the reason for the high charge for parts. The tranny was flooded for about 4 months or so.

CantRepeat
04-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I've been shopping and I saw that. But, that 71C is a 1:1. My 10-17-006 is a 1.52:1, has a reduction gear and new seem to run about what the rebuild costs.

I am tempted to do the rebuild myself. It sounds like it's not too hard and I'm pretty good with mechanics. It seems that the shop I have it in points to water damage as the reason for the high charge for parts. The tranny was flooded for about 4 months or so.

Well, there should be a parts list and rebuilding them is pretty easy. I did my 71c.

You can give this guy a call.

http://www.marine-engine-parts.com/Transmissionvelvet.html

dmminfla
04-28-2011, 12:21 PM

I rebuilt my old BW 1:1 with a new forwrad clutch pack and new presure plate and reverse plates and springs for about $250.00 from http://www.ebasicpower.com/

TX Wind
04-28-2011, 02:22 PM
There is a guy on the Correct Craft site named Eric Lavine. He is the tranny guru there. 330 273 8291. He rebuilds these and from the stuff I've read, goes out of his way to give you the very best. (He made a 6 hour drive to hand deliver a warrantied tranny and see that it was installed correctly). They are very easy to rebuild and Eric can give all kinds of advice. If the pitting is not where you have seals, it shouldn't make much difference. It only takes about 2 hours to replace a clutch pack and a complete clutch pack and seal kit is easily bought for under $250. Be careful though. Some sellers don't include the reverse clutches in their kits. Make sure you get them all.

bamoffthelip
04-28-2011, 07:25 PM
I talked to the shop today. The guy indicated that because of the pitting (referred to as INPUT SHAFT & COUPLING ARE PITTED. SIGNS OF RUST EVERYWHERE) would prevent it from sealing. Can this justify $2300 in parts?

I asked him if it was caused by the 4 months that the tranny was flooded and he said no, that it happened over time. He found a rebuild from a dealer for me for $1500 with no core charge.

I put a jiffy sleeve on a pitted outboard shaft that seemed to make it seal ok. Would this be possible with this tranny?

dmminfla
04-28-2011, 07:40 PM
I 'd say $750.00 for a rebuilt 1:1 velvet drive. there a dime a dosen in south florida check craigslist.

rholmes
04-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Was it failing before hand? Prior to spending that kind of money, why not try a couple flush and fills and see if it is working okay?

Jorski
04-30-2011, 10:11 AM
I 'd say $750.00 for a rebuilt 1:1 velvet drive. there a dime a dosen in south florida check craigslist.

Then he would have to replace his prop and drive shaft...wouldn't save him much in the end.

CantRepeat
04-30-2011, 10:19 AM
You only need one specialized tool to rebuild a 71C and it can be fabricated pretty easy. You will access to a press.

Short of measuring and shimming the clutch pack correctly it's all just bolt and go. Last I remember the :52 reduction is just gears so you wouldn't even need to do anything to it.

If I were you I would just change the fluid and run it until it starts to slip then rebuild it.