PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Shaving

TayMC197
04-27-2011, 02:40 PM
It was pointed out to me that I need to file my rudder to help prevent it from pulling so hard when driving at towing speeds. I looked at it from the back of the boat the other day and the right side of the prop is worn to a rounded edge while the left side still has a nice edge. Any advice on this?

Currently its pulling well more than usual to the right. No slack in the cables, not bent, etc...

Patrick Hardy
04-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Go to this ski site: http://www.thewaterskiforum.com/forum.html
and enter Rudder Grind in the search menu. It will give you some good ideas of what is going on with your boats rudder.

flipper
04-27-2011, 03:12 PM
I'd say don't do it, but if you must here (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=107070&postcount=12) is how

Patrick Hardy
04-27-2011, 03:19 PM
I would lean toward caution, I would not do it yet. Without pictures of the rudder, it sounds like it has been ground on already. The discussion on the water ski forum will give you everything to look for.

flipper
04-27-2011, 03:25 PM
I would lean toward caution, I would not do it yet. Without pictures of the rudder, it sounds like it has been ground on already. The discussion on the water ski forum will give you everything to look for.
They come like that, you grind the other side to take the pull out of it.

Patrick Hardy
04-27-2011, 03:39 PM
They come like that, you grind the other side to take the pull out of it.

Without pictures it is hard to say. If someone has already shaved the right edge off / it has been rounded and you then shave the left side of the rudder, you are going to have an whole different issue. With a LH rotation you do not shave the left side, you shave the right side.

flipper
04-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Without pictures it is hard to say. If someone has already shaved the right edge off / it has been rounded and you then shave the left side of the rudder, you are going to have an whole different issue. With a LH rotation you do not shave the left side, you shave the right side.

That somebody was at MC, just like all the other '92 PS 190s came like that. You take a tiny bit off the left side if you don't want it to pull any more, or you want it to pull less.

flipper
04-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Ooops...............

BrianM
04-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Easy to do with a flat file. Personally I ground mine to get quite a bit MORE pull to the right.

east tx skier
04-27-2011, 04:56 PM
If you let go at speed and your wheel doesn't spin, there isn't enough pull.

DJ 50
04-27-2011, 07:17 PM
If you let go at speed and your wheel doesn't spin, there isn't enough pull.

If you're not pulling through a course on a regular basis is there really any need to have it set up that way?

TayMC197
04-27-2011, 07:19 PM
I let off at speed and it almost power turns... and it appears its never been filed...

flipper
04-27-2011, 07:26 PM
I let off at speed and it almost power turns... and it appears its never been filed...

Yup, that's how they are.

flipper
04-27-2011, 07:27 PM
If you're not pulling through a course on a regular basis is there really any need to have it set up that way?

Need to, no, but it does make it feel like the steering is tighter compared to having no pull

SpryBeast
04-27-2011, 07:35 PM

When I got my X-30 it was doing the same thing and was really difficult to turn left at speed and whatever you do DON'T LET AGO OF THE WHEEL!

Mine was clearly filed on the right trailing edge. I was told I could file the left edge to even it out but I opted to go with the newer style rudder from OJ instead (which came with no filing). No more pull and since I'm not pulling slalom very often it's how I prefer it.

DJ 50
04-27-2011, 08:57 PM
How much for the new rudder?

east tx skier
04-27-2011, 09:06 PM

No, but in that case, not much need for a Pro Star 190 either. To be clear, I don't care what the guy does with his boat. I just remember how I complained about the "alignment" to my dealer when I first got my boat. I couldn't do without it now.

Tay, I know this isn't your first rodeo. Just sharing my initial reaction to that filed rudder pull.

TayMC197
04-28-2011, 11:13 AM
No, but in that case, not much need for a Pro Star 190 either. To be clear, I don't care what the guy does with his boat. I just remember how I complained about the "alignment" to my dealer when I first got my boat. I couldn't do without it now.

Tay, I know this isn't your first rodeo. Just sharing my initial reaction to that filed rudder pull.

I know that a little pull is normal... been aware of that since I was little and driving inboards. This is beyond normal now... the right side of the rudder has been filed pretty deep. I just wan't to tone it down a little where if I do slip off the wheel I won't be aimed at the skier... lol

east tx skier
04-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Just take a mill bastard file and work on the other side. A little bit at a time and test.

Kyle
04-28-2011, 11:28 AM
When you come up in a few weeks I will let you see mine that has been filed. It was filed with a flat bastard file and the purpose was to make driving a skier in a course easier and it really works. We can use my digital dial calipers to measure how much has been taken off mine. My boat does not power turn when you let go of the wheel, but it drifts right pretty good. At slower speeds it kinda vears a little but stays straight for the most part. I believe mine has been filed on both sides. If you take too much out then you do the opposite side until you find a happy medium.

east tx skier
04-28-2011, 11:38 AM
This is the factory job on my old 93. The arrow just shows the place where the angle is most obvious. But the grind goes all the way up the right trailing edge.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2804&stc=1&d=1129056132

rhsprostar
04-28-2011, 11:54 AM
From my experience when shaving my own rudder the angle at which you do it is very critical in the amount of pull you will get. Check out this old thread on rudder shaving...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31286&highlight=rudder+shaving&page=3