PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount an amp in a 1990 Prostar 190

tgump
04-27-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm getting ready to install a Rockford Fosgate amp in my Prostar 190 and was curious as to where others have mounted them. I was thinking about mounting it on the right side bow up under the dash, but wasn't sure about drilling into the side. Any thoughts or pics would be appreciated.

tph
04-27-2011, 03:09 PM
I have an '89 and the amp was mounted to plywood that was mounted to the underside of the front deck with short screws in strategic locations so as to not pierce the gelcoat.

Luv2Ski
04-27-2011, 06:41 PM
There is a flat spot under the frond deck in front of the passenger seat access. I plan to install my amp there by glassing in some wood. That should provide a thick and sturdy mounting location. I did not want to risk piercing the deck or having the amp fall. Glad to hear tph has it working though, maybe I should reconsider.

Hopefully getting to it in the next couple weeks

tph
04-27-2011, 09:26 PM
There is a flat spot under the frond deck in front of the passenger seat access. I plan to install my amp there by glassing in some wood. That should provide a thick and sturdy mounting location. I did want to risk piercing the deck or having the amp fall. Glad to hear tph has it working though, maybe I should reconsider.

I like the "glass-in" idea. I'm never fond of drilling/driving if you don't have to. Mine was done by the PO and luckily he didn't screw up.. well I guess technically he did but he didn't damage the gelcoat.

tgump
04-29-2011, 11:57 AM
What do you mean by "glassing in" some wood?

east tx skier
04-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Take a piece of wood and coat it in resin. Glue it to the hull. Lay glass mat over it in multiple directions and apply resin as you go.

rjracin240
04-29-2011, 04:13 PM
There is a flat spot under the frond deck in front of the passenger seat access. I plan to install my amp there by glassing in some wood. That should provide a thick and sturdy mounting location. I did not want to risk piercing the deck or having the amp fall. Glad to hear tph has it working though, maybe I should reconsider.

Please post pic's of this work while doing it, your restoration shots of your boat were great and definitely an inspiration for myself with my 88 PS 190

woobiedmd
04-29-2011, 05:42 PM
In my '88 Prostar the PO had glassed two wooden strips under the passenger side in the flat spot. I screwed a larger board to that and mounted a 5 channnel Rockford amp to it. It only took two trips out and some big waves to have that thing come crashing down. I relocated and screwed it to the side of the sub box. If your amp is big and heavy as most are, a more sturdy mounting method is definitely indicated. My :twocents:

east tx skier
04-29-2011, 06:45 PM
In my '88 Prostar the PO had glassed two wooden strips under the passenger side in the flat spot. I screwed a larger board to that and mounted a 5 channnel Rockford amp to it. It only took two trips out and some big waves to have that thing come crashing down. I relocated and screwed it to the side of the sub box. If your amp is big and heavy as most are, a more sturdy mounting method is definitely indicated. My :twocents:

Same experience, same solution here. If there is a spot in the floor that is safe to drill into, you can use angle brackets to mount the wood upright and then screw the amp to that. I just glued the board to my sub box and mounted the amp to it. No troubles so far.

jconover
04-29-2011, 09:33 PM
So I was reading my JL Amp manual today, and they strongly advise against mounting it upside down. That's inconvenient.