PDA

View Full Version : Prop damage

gatorguy
04-27-2011, 01:09 PM
A couple of days ago we hit ground. I was draining out the 2 750# fat sacks (takes just under 15min start to finish) and we were just sitting drifting. We drifted within about 200 yrds of shore. I told my son to start it up and idle us over to our favorite ski area as I was storing the bags and getting set up to ski. I didnít think twice about the possibility of hitting ground, everywhere else on the lake the water would have been about 10-20ft deep. He started the engine and bumped it in gear and for 3-5 sec the prop hit bottom before he killed it. He reacted very quickly which may have saved us. At that point I looked at the depth gauge and it said 1ft. Sure enough I jumped out into shin deep water. Luckly it was mud with no big rocks. I had veryone get in the bow so that the underwater gear did not drag and I pushed us out another 50 yrds before I got in. We skied then when home. I didnít notice anything wrong with the performance of the boat, but when I checked the prop on the trailer I saw a small little ding and some scrapes.

Do I need to send it in to get refurbished? I havenít lost any top end speed, and I donít notice any new vibrations. Below are some pictures.
1st before
2nd & 3rd after

willyt
04-27-2011, 01:18 PM
I'd definitely get that repaired. even if you dont notice any vibration, your transmission will. if it doesnt need to go on the pitch block, my prop shop here in cincinnati only charges 30-40 bucks for rebalancing. Used the shop many, many times and they do great work.

Conversely, you could buy a whole new prop. that prop looks pretty pitchy (if thats a word).

flipper
04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Should be fine. Do it again and finish the polish job

EJ OJPROP
04-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Would not take much to clean that up and check the balance. Send it in if you'd like.

FrankSchwab
04-27-2011, 01:54 PM
IMHO, You're good to go. You should hang around and see other pictures of "Do I need to get this fixed?" to get a sense of balance. Half of the props that you see in pictures where people think their props are fine are way, way worse than what you show.

nickespi
04-27-2011, 09:10 PM
And I managed to do this to my prop. What a great day!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f396/nickespi/image2.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f396/nickespi/image.jpg

I did this a couple of weeks ago. Yours' is pristine compared to mine. I'd say a little Mother's and a Flitz buff ball will fix that right up...;)

ahhudgins
04-27-2011, 09:26 PM
If I can see physical damage on my prop or feel it with my fingers, I will send it out to be checked. I keep my old 3 blade in the boat for a spare just in case.

bsloop
04-29-2011, 02:02 PM
I would have it repaired. What are you waiting for, a second hit?

Like mentioned, your transmission will feel it even if you dont.
Second prop is a must IMO. We spend too much time and money on our equipment to be broke down or stressed due to a prop.

CantRepeat
04-29-2011, 02:24 PM
That should buff right out.

Hollywood
04-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Looks OK to me

partyb
04-29-2011, 02:46 PM
that is nothing. I might hit it with a hammer a couple times, or bend it straighter with a pair of pliers, but you can't be re-doing your prop after every tiny lil' thing. People on here act like these boats are made of blown glass and should only be stored in a glass case over the fireplace.

CantRepeat
04-29-2011, 03:45 PM
that is nothing. I might hit it with a hammer a couple times, or bend it straighter with a pair of pliers, but you can't be re-doing your prop after every tiny lil' thing. People on here act like these boats are made of blown glass and should only be stored in a glass case over the fireplace.

OK, I'm sure everyone knows I was making a joke.

The last thing you want to do is try to hit a cold prop, with a hammer, back into position or worse yet try to bend with some pliers. All you'll end up doing is cracking it and then making it harder and more costly to repair.

Send it to Eric and get it fixed and balanced correctly. :cool:

Cobra Rob
04-29-2011, 04:10 PM
I would get it fixed to save you from possibly spending more money for subsequent problems on the tranny. If you have the money I would get another one and keep it for a spare. Good opportunity to try a different setup.

I am surprised that no one mentioned.... You were draining the Ballist with the engine off?? I though that was a no no no.

gatorguy
04-29-2011, 04:21 PM
I am surprised that no one mentioned.... You were draining the Ballist with the engine off?? I though that was a no no no.

I have two fat sacks and use a tsunami pump. Why would I need to run the boat while dumping H2O?

east tx skier
04-29-2011, 05:19 PM
I would get it fixed if it were my prop on my boat.

Cobra Rob
04-29-2011, 05:32 PM
I have two fat sacks and use a tsunami pump. Why would I need to run the boat while dumping H2O?

Ahhh didn't look that close.. thought you were dumping factory tanks.

woobiedmd
04-29-2011, 06:31 PM
For $30-40.oo it's worth balancing or save it as a spare. I keep a spare prop on board just in case. You're lucky it was just the prop. Last summer, I hit a stump and bent the prop,strut and driveshaft. Put a quick end to the day and a big dent in my wallet!:(

nickespi
04-29-2011, 07:19 PM
Can I get the contact info for Eric? I need someone to fix my prop for me.

gatorguy
04-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Can I get the contact info for Eric? I need someone to fix my prop for me.

Check page one of this thread. I already talked to Erik. Planning to send it in when I get home.

Lars
04-29-2011, 07:26 PM
What's the big deal? Looks fine to me. Aren't these transmissions designed with this in mind?

DooSPX
04-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Check page one of this thread. I already talked to Erik. Planning to send it in when I get home.

You will not be disappointed with Eric. He is a top notch guy running a top notch company. his contact info is in my sig...

nickespi
04-29-2011, 07:29 PM
You will not be disappointed with Eric. He is a top notch guy running a top notch company. his contact info is in my sig...

Really??? :D

Red 08 Xstar
04-30-2011, 02:08 AM
I'm still wondering if I should get mine checked.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-30-2011, 02:12 AM

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CantRepeat
04-30-2011, 07:29 AM

I think will buff out. Use some light compound to start with.

gatorguy
04-30-2011, 01:49 PM

For those in the know, I was wondering if that type of damage is repairable, or is that now a $600 paper weight?

Bouyhead
04-30-2011, 02:03 PM
For those in the know, I was wondering if that type of damage is repairable, or is that now a $600 paper weight?

Looks better hanging up as is. Preferably where one would consume alcholic bevrages.