PDA

View Full Version : Reload problem

Z1R-10
04-27-2011, 09:25 AM
I have a 1982 Stars and Stripes edition with the factory trailer that came with the boat. I have an ongoing problem that is causing some damage to the bow area of the boat. when reloading on a ramp no matter the angle, (however it is somewhat better on shallower angled ramps) the bow hook hits the "V" shaped bunk on the front of the trailer. Even if the hook makes it over the "V" bunk the bunk still makes contact with the bow on the matalflake stripe and does cosmetic damage to the pinstripe and stars and is marring the finish in the stripe area. I have tried backing in shallower and deeper with poor results. As foolish as it sounds the only way to get back on the trailer with no damage is to back in so deep the trailer is completely (all the way to the bumper on the truck) submerged. I don't believe this is the way the folks at MasterCraft intended it to be. While at my dealer getting a couple parts I questioned a couple folks there and was greeted with everything from a blank stare to "that is not a drive on trailer" to I can sell you a new trailer. Surely there is a trick to this that I am missing so I figured I would ask the folks who would know (ya'll). This is a nice, low hour boat and the only scratches on it are from getting back on the trailer. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

blakehardesty
04-27-2011, 09:31 AM
I kindof have the same problem. My solution is to put it on my lift and only take it out once a year. If that doesnt work padd the he!! out of the "V" and replace the carpet over it. Just a thought. My trailer is my summer project so I will let you know when it is complete.

chawk610
04-27-2011, 09:43 AM
hmmm.. I am perplexed by this. I have an '83 S&S with factory trailor (i think) and do not have this issue. Could you post a pic of the trailer... I am curious if it matches mine.

Z1R-10
04-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Can't post a pic right now but looking at your pic it is the same trailer. So tell me do you back in shallow or deep? I know the angle of the ramp makes a differance but please tell me how you get on without making contact with the "V" shaped, carpet covered part that the bow rest in when the boat is completely on the trailer. Thanks

chawk610
04-27-2011, 09:51 AM
I back in till the fenders are "just" covered by water... no more... and the bow loop doesn't come close to the "V" I am curios if your "V" bracket is taller... or if your bow loop is lower?????

Z1R-10
04-27-2011, 09:59 AM
I'll measure the height of both of these and get back with you. Thanks.

chawk610
04-27-2011, 10:00 AM
I wish other S&S owners would post thier trailers... Now I'm just curious!

Z1R-10
04-27-2011, 10:08 AM
I wish other S&S owners would post thier trailers... Now I'm just curious!

Me too ! Last night on a very steep ramp, and the trailer backed in just far enough for the boat to come off the trailer, when we went to reload if we had kept the boat going forward the nav lights on top of the bow would have hit the "V" shaped bunk. Thats when we backed the trailer completely under water. Now I know this was extreme conditions but it sure is aggravating. Thanks for all your help. This should be so simple. In the for what it's worth dept. when the trailer is hooked to the truck on level ground, the trailer is level front to rear it is not nose up as some folks have asked. Thanks again

pmkkdx
04-27-2011, 11:46 AM
here's about the only picture I could find of my old '83 S&S showing the V on the front of trailer. hope this helps!

I kept the carpet pretty fresh on the V and occasionally would spray with silicone (until I read here on TT that was not good to use, but don't recall what was recommended)

Mgboyd25
04-27-2011, 12:42 PM
How steap is the ramp your using? Maybe try another ramp?
I don't know if that would affect it or not but worth a shoot

thatsmrmastercraft
04-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Liquid rollers is the correct bunker lube available at marine outlets and Amazon.com

bobx1
04-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Liquid rollers is the correct bunker lube available at marine outlets and Amazon.com

Keep your winch strap on when using the above.

Z1R-10
04-27-2011, 02:38 PM
How steap is the ramp your using? Maybe try another ramp?
I don't know if that would affect it or not but worth a shoot i

I have tried 3 or 4 different local ramps. Definitely the steeper the ramp the worse the result. I have silicone on the carpet. I'll try and find some "liquid rollers" Thanks again

chawk610
04-27-2011, 03:14 PM
something seems weird... I feel like your trailer has been modified or something... dying to see a pic of the boat on it.

chawk610
04-27-2011, 03:14 PM
here's about the only picture I could find of my old '83 S&S showing the V on the front of trailer. hope this helps!

I kept the carpet pretty fresh on the V and occasionally would spray with silicone (until I read here on TT that was not good to use, but don't recall what was recommended)

Ahhhh, she's a sweetie!!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
04-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Keep your winch strap on when using the above.

Thanks. Forgot the disclaimer because I always leave my winch strap on.

pmkkdx
04-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Ahhhh, she's a sweetie!!!!

thanks! yep, she "was" :( ... I miss the old girl!!! that was my baby for about 22-23 years, and she was pampered while I had her! sweetest wake at 36 mph thru a slalom course going deep into shortline!!! even compared to the newer hull of the '87 & newer to me ...

but we have really enjoyed our new (to us) '04 X2 with much more suitable room for our family & friends.

pmkkdx
04-27-2011, 03:33 PM
something seems weird... I feel like your trailer has been modified or something... dying to see a pic of the boat on it.

ditto ... with my S&S, on a flat ramp would back in to where the top cap of the trailer fender was showing ... on a steep ramp back in to where the very top of fender was at water level (but I would dunk the trailer deep enough to wet bunk carpet and pull back forward)

ski_king
04-27-2011, 03:35 PM
I also have an 82 and my trailer is the orgianal factory trailer. The ramp I use is very steep and I have found it best to position the trailer with about 6 in. of the top of the fender sticking out of the water when taking the boat out of the water. If I go any deeper, the bow eye will hit the bunk. I also wet down the bunks by backing the trailer in far enough to cover the bunks first, then pull out until as described above.

Launching, I typically go a little further in.

I have learned this by trail and error over the last 29 years.

Z1R-10
04-28-2011, 08:37 AM
I also have an 82 and my trailer is the orgianal factory trailer. The ramp I use is very steep and I have found it best to position the trailer with about 6 in. of the top of the fender sticking out of the water when taking the boat out of the water. If I go any deeper, the bow eye will hit the bunk. I also wet down the bunks by backing the trailer in far enough to cover the bunks first, then pull out until as described above.

Launching, I typically go a little further in.

I have learned this by trail and error over the last 29 years.

I appreciate everyones input. I will post a pic of the boat on the trailer as well as well as try the liquid rollers and the above trailer positioning Thanks again to everyone :)