PDA

View Full Version : New to the Mastercraft family! New X10

Brian B
04-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Hi Mastercraft community!

My name is Brian. I just purchased my second boat, and it happens to be a 2001 Mastercraft X10. I did my homework and wanted the best ski boat that I could afford, and choosing Mastercraft was a nobrainer.

2001 X10 with 100 hours.

lanep82
04-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Congratulations and welcome. I just joined the board myself last week! Beautiful boat. Very nice that you were able to find a 2001 model under ~100 hrs!

ttu
04-26-2011, 12:47 PM
congrats, sharp boat.

welcome to the family!:D

scott023
04-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Looks good Brian. Mighty low hours for a 10 year old boat, good find.

Brian B
04-26-2011, 12:51 PM
This boat is cherry! Extremely well kept and bone stock. I already have a huge list of upgrades to do, and things that need to be addressed...... If you have any input regarding these items, by all means please speak up! :)

Custom led lighting for interior and under swim platform.
Stereo system - Would like to ad controls to transom as well.
New wakeboard/surfboard racks (OEM plastic ones are broken)
Tower lighting - I have a close relationship with Rigid Industries and will likely use their led bars front and rear.
Perfect pass - Unfortunately this boat does not have cruise control. I would like to know the easiest and most affordable way to add cc to this particular X10. Please school me!

Thanks for looking guys!

Sodar
04-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Glad to see those RiverDaves guys were not successful in getting you into one of those "other" boats.

Welcome to TeamTalk.

Brian B
04-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Glad to see those RiverDaves guys were not successful in getting you into one of those "other" boats.

Welcome to TeamTalk.

lmao! Those guys are seriously into their powerboats. I had no idea people hate "roll bar" boats so much. Oh well. Cool group over there and I will continue to post on that site. I've never been to the Parker Strip and really want to check it out this summer!

KnoxX2
04-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Welcomen to Team talk! Very nice boat.

Brian B
04-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Couple questions.

Anyone know the part number for the impeller I need? 330 hp Northstar.

Also, would like a towing cover for this boat. I just cannot deal with diesel soot all over my interior. Where should I start looking for one? As usual, I'm on a budget and would prefer to buy used.....

sand2snow22
04-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Rankin, evolution or the one East Tx skier has....

Brian B
04-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Looks like there's not a lot of activity in the market place here? Where to look for Mastercraft used goods?

pmkkdx
04-26-2011, 01:18 PM
welcome to TT Brian! nice looking MC!

Sodar
04-26-2011, 01:23 PM
The Marketplace was down for a while and that really slowed the pace of it.

What are you looking for? Want ads seem to get a good response.

sand2snow22
04-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Looks like there's not a lot of activity in the market place here? Where to look for Mastercraft used goods?

More power to you if you can find a good used towing cover with tower cut outs. Make that the correct tower cut outs. X10 is a great boat, underrated if you ask me!

Jeff d
04-26-2011, 01:35 PM
This is the impeller you'll need:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

For Perfect Pass the easiest way to go is the StarGazer (GPS) because you just have to stick a little GPS puck on the dash instead of bore a big hole in the hull for a paddle wheel. It's about $1,100 for the StarGazer Wakeboard Edition when you catch it on sale.

If you operate on a body of water with a decent current you'd probably want the paddle wheel though. It's about $100 cheaper but the install is more involved.

I installed PP StarGazer Wakeboard on my '00 230VRS w/ LTR in about 1.5 hrs. I'd recommend mounting the servo on the port side exhaust manifold hose instead of the cooling hose as suggested in the install manual. The install pics for the LTR are for a direct drive so things are turned around relative to a V drive boat.

Also, here's a Perfect Pass alternative that's a pretty decent amount cheaper ($695 if you submit install pictures):
http://www.hydrophase.com/ridesteady

I have no experience with it though.

wakescene
04-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Congrats on the X10. 100 hours...WOW, that is low. I have a 2001 Maristar 210VRS. It's basically the same boat, with a few minor differences. I have over 900 hours on mine entirely in saltwater so I have had my share of maintenance.

I basically know just about anything there is to know about this year and model so if you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask me. I've gotten help from so many ppl here it's my turn to pay it forward!

Impeller = http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

I have Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro with a Paddle wheel. I personally prefer the paddle wheel, but others like the GPS version. My dealer removed the Speedo to install the PP. I had them do it when I bought the boat, but I can photo all the areas of the install if need be.

aquaman
04-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Nice boat and welcome to TeamTalk.

100 hrs is barely broken in!!

Enjoy. :)

CantRepeat
04-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Great looking ride. Grats on the 100 hrs and welcome to TT.

Goalie_ken
04-27-2011, 12:49 PM
I have Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro with a Paddle wheel. I personally prefer the paddle wheel, but others like the GPS version. My dealer removed the Speedo to install the PP. I had them do it when I bought the boat, but I can photo all the areas of the install if need be.

I'd love to see those photos as I am thinking about installing PP on my 2000 Maristar210.

Brian B
04-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Took her out yesterday and ran like a top for a couple hours. I noticed the temperature getting a little warm so I inspected the impeller housing and it look like it had come loose as it was easy to wiggle, and I could see that the shaft was not turning. We had to put an oar back there and push the housing towards the engine to get the impeller to turn..........

Someone throw me a bone here please! I looked for a diagram of how the raw water pump and couldnt find one.....

Jeff d
04-27-2011, 02:08 PM
There should be a bracket that comes off of the alternator/tensioner bracket that has a loop in it. The raw water pump has a peg on the bottom that engages this loop. There's a rubber isolator in that loop that takes up the slop and I guess allows some movement but the rubber could be gone or messed up. Not sure if that would keep the pump from turning all together though. You can replace the isolator with a 3/4" or so piece of heater hose (1/2" ID IIRC).

While you're down there see if the supplemental alternator bracket was installed per the recall:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=692001&postcount=24

There were issues with the alternator pulling off of the bracket so Indmar released a recall and was installing a supplemental bracket. My '00 LTR didn't have this bracket and my alternator broke off last weekend.

While on the subject of recalls does your trailer have monoleaf springs? The mono leaf springs were recalled and if your trailer is like mine was they were pretty saggy. Mine were sagging so bad that the tires messed up the fenders creating hairline cracks. The local MasterCraft dealer replaced mine last year under the recall for free.

wakescene
04-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Goalie Ken,
I will do my best to snap a few pics tonight, if I can't it will be this weekend for sure.

Brian B, Your raw water pump should look like this one. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=68-5020
It's attached directly to the Crank shaft outside of the Harmonic balancer with 3 allen head bolts. If the bolts are loose, I would have this checked out by the dealer ASAP. The bolts have around a 90ft lbs torque rating on them with lock thread. They should not have come loose.

But your problem kinda sounds like the raw water pump may be shot and the internal C-Clamp may have broken, allowing the impellor housing to float free from the shaft. In this case, you would be best to purchase a new raw water pump. Again it might be something you would want the dealer to look at and repair.

I have replaced my raw water pump and it was a PITA.

Do you have a pick of exactly what you are referring too?

Cmpdman
04-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Great boat!

Brian B
04-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Looks like the flange that is pressed onto the impeller shaft and bolts to the crank pulley separated and wasnt driving the impeller. Mastercraft of AZ has a refurb and I'll pick it up tomorrow! Thanks for the pointers fellas1

Goalie_ken
04-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Wakescene - Thanks

wakescene
04-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Goalie Ken, here ya go.
Picture 1 = Dash replacement of speedo (I have since ordered the correct color matching face from PP, My dealer was naive in thinking that black was ok for this installation and never asked if I wanted it color matched. They are no longer in business for being a poor dealer, but not because of me specifically)

Picture 2 = The PP motor cable mount on the throttle.
Picture 3 = The mounting of the Paddle Wheel in the front bilge. This sits about 5" back from the ski locker divider and about 3" off center on the starboard (driver) side of the hull. (and forgive the bilge being dirty. saltwater is not very forgiving and I have yet to clean the boat before this season. It will be clean soon!!!)

wakescene
04-28-2011, 04:03 PM
More Pics

Picture 1 = is of the PP brain mounting under the dash to the left of the factory subwoofer.
Picture 2 = the mounting of the PP throttle control motor. Mine is mounted to a coolant by-pass line. Some have recommended mounting to other hoses or areas, but I can't really comment on why.

Sodar
04-28-2011, 04:17 PM
You can get a matching chrome bezel, too. If you already haven't...

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=66050&stc=1&d=1304016343

wakescene
04-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Sodar,
Yes I can. I talked with PP on this, I could get any color combo with the chrome bezel I like. The will custom build you any combo you want. I went with the creme and chrome bezel. The added benefit is that I got the new software for multiple riders which is sweet. No more adjusting for everyone.

I lived with this current look for too long, it's just so out of place and embarrassing looking I bit the $200 bullet and got what I really wanted.

ShamrockIV
04-28-2011, 04:54 PM
congrats on the new boat. i was gonna say replace the impeller with that few hours. prob dry rotted but looks like u are already aware of this.

Jeff d
04-28-2011, 06:28 PM
BTW the PP gauge housing is identical to the factory. I popped the gunmetal trim ring off of the factory speedo and snapped it onto my new PP gauge which came with a bright chrome ring. Made it look more OEM. The bezel poped right off of the factory speedo but the one on the PP took a little bit of patient, careful prying with a small flathead. The white gauge face isn't as stark of a contrast with the other gauges as this picture makes it appear. That was at night with my phone flash.

Also, I had my servo mounted in the typical cooling hose location but I recently moved it to the port side rubber exhaust manifold hose. This made it move much smoother.

Brian B
04-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Got a refurbished raw water pump today and wouldnt you know that bastard has funky positioned bolt holes on the flange. One hole is off about 1/8"

***?

wakescene
04-29-2011, 12:08 AM
It may not be off. Did you try rotating it? Did it match the old one?

rspiecha
05-02-2011, 11:09 AM
I have a used cover (mint condition) for a 2005 Maristar210 VRS (ie X10). I it came with my boat and has the holes for the tower you have. It was used for the one year the boat was at the dealer. I had a tower installed and is the newer style tower, and this cover wouldn't fit. So I ordered a newer style cover, and the original has been rolled up and stored. I do not have the storage poles, but the cover works for pulling the boat around. You can purchase the storage poles separately.

Not sure what a good price is for it, I can take pictures if you are interested. I paid $500 for the new cover from mastercraft dealership.

thanks

Rob

Brian B
05-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Pictures please! This is a towing cover?

Brian B
05-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Took my 3 year old boy to the lake for his first time yesterday! We had a blast!

Jeff d
05-02-2011, 04:17 PM
I assume that means you got the raw water pump issue(s) resolved.

Brian B
05-02-2011, 04:27 PM
^ Yes. I had to buy a new one. The flange on the refurbished unit I got had one bolt hole off about an 1/8th inch. New one fits and works perfectly. Now I'm going to install the new alternator bracket and finish up my summer service.

Up next is racks. I need a surfboard rack and a wakeboard rack. Just bid on OEM billet mastercraft backing plates....

Then a new head unit with bluetooth transom controls...... Suggestions?

Jeff d
05-02-2011, 04:40 PM
How did the alternator bracket thing work out for you? I assume you're talking about the recall supplemental bracket that I referred to above. Did you buy it or did they give it to you? I've been waiting for a week to hear back from my dealer when they hear back from Indmar/MC.

Brian B
05-02-2011, 04:42 PM
I bought it. It was $10 I think.....

Jeff d
05-02-2011, 05:06 PM
I wish I had just bought it for mine before I had a failure. I had heard about the recall but didn't really look into whether or not it was done. Now I have a broken off bolt in the bracket with a hole drilled in it and a broken off easy out stuck in the hole. I then tried cutting a slot into the bolt piece for a flay head screwdriver but couldn't budge it. Now my only 2 options are to replace the whole bracket or drill it and put in a threaded insert.

wakescene
05-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I have a used cover (mint condition) for a 2005 Maristar210 VRS (ie X10). I it came with my boat and has the holes for the tower you have. It was used for the one year the boat was at the dealer. I had a tower installed and is the newer style tower, and this cover wouldn't fit. So I ordered a newer style cover, and the original has been rolled up and stored. I do not have the storage poles, but the cover works for pulling the boat around. You can purchase the storage poles separately.

Not sure what a good price is for it, I can take pictures if you are interested. I paid $500 for the new cover from mastercraft dealership.

thanks

Rob
What color is this cover?
Got any pics?
Is it a cinch or button type?

I may be interested.

rspiecha
05-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Cover is black, with the cinch mechanism at the rear. This is the cover that mastercraft supplies with its boats. Has velco seems for the tower poles with buckles at the bottom. I will search for the pictures when I get home tonight.

Thanks

Rob

Brian B
05-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Cover is black, with the cinch mechanism at the rear. This is the cover that mastercraft supplies with its boats. Has velco seems for the tower poles with buckles at the bottom. I will search for the pictures when I get home tonight.

Thanks

Rob

Please email me! BrianB @ RhinoForums . net

Thanks

MyCabinFever
05-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Brian B,
Can you post a close up picture of how your Bimini Top attaches to your tower? I have the same tower and looking for a way to attach and still have the head room. Was that top made custom or is it a stock top that was mounted?
Thanks

Brian B
05-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Brian B,
Can you post a close up picture of how your Bimini Top attaches to your tower? I have the same tower and looking for a way to attach and still have the head room. Was that top made custom or is it a stock top that was mounted?
Thanks

I am not sure! Came on the boat when I bought it. I'm not feeling it cause it sits so low. Constantly ducking walking around in boat.

Brian B
05-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Just one hard mount and the forward and rear mounts are straps....

MyCabinFever
05-02-2011, 08:02 PM
I am not sure! Came on the boat when I bought it. I'm not feeling it cause it sits so low. Constantly ducking walking around in boat.
Check your private messages. So you are saying that you have to duck under yours the way it is mounted? I'm over 6' and not wanted to add something I will be fighting with all the time.

MyCabinFever
05-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Check your private messages. So you are saying that you have to duck under yours the way it is mounted? I'm over 6' and not wanted to add something I will be fighting with all the time.
Sorry Brian B, no PM. It was my bad.

Brian B
05-02-2011, 09:33 PM
No biggy!

Hey, can someone tell me if there is some kind of hot water valve to open for the heater? Heater blows cool air.......

Thrall
05-03-2011, 01:59 AM
No biggy!

Hey, can someone tell me if there is some kind of hot water valve to open for the heater? Heater blows cool air.......

S/B a garden hose looking valve or a ball valve on the supply line where it comes out of the intake manifold port rear side of the engine.

Nice boat too!
This is the only time of the year I miss AZ. Mtns here have gotten probably 6ft of snow in the last couple weeks. The lakes that are thawed might be approaching 50deg!

Brian B
05-03-2011, 02:29 AM
S/B a garden hose looking valve or a ball valve on the supply line where it comes out of the intake manifold port rear side of the engine.

Nice boat too!
This is the only time of the year I miss AZ. Mtns here have gotten probably 6ft of snow in the last couple weeks. The lakes that are thawed might be approaching 50deg!

Thanks Thanks! I'll be coming up to Navajo Reservoir a few times this summer! Prolly going to need that heater!

MyCabinFever
05-03-2011, 09:00 AM

Thanks

Rob
What is the status of the cover you are interested in selling? Sent you PM.

rspiecha
05-03-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm waiting on getting pictures of the cover. I gave it to a friend to see if he wanted to modify it to fit his boat, but he ended up just getting the correct cover for his boat with the same newer style tower as mine.

Thanks

Rob