PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard flew off tower rack driving down the Interstate!!

cal2vin
04-26-2011, 12:44 AM
I have always put my board on the tower rack even when driving down the interstate. this is a 2008 tower with the board clamps and the rotating board rack. When I left town for the lake (about 45 min, about 30 miles of interstate) I had the board on the rack. When I got to the lake it was gone. Didn't notice it fall off, but it must have one the way. Good thing it was my old board. Brand new 2011 Ronix One ATR edition was in the cab with me. I have made the same trip with that same board on the same rack easily over 100 times. I dunno what happened this time. It had rained recently so maybe the grip pieces on the clamp were wet. Though I have also drove in the rain, Im at a loss as to what made it fall off THIS time.

Does anyone else drive interstate with their boards on this type of rack?

Thrall
04-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Uhhhh..............no!
Don't think you're going to find anyone that tows highway speeds with boards in the racks.

sand2snow22
04-26-2011, 12:50 AM
NO! :confused: Is this a joke?

cal2vin
04-26-2011, 12:51 AM
Thats wild. I've done it for 3 years and never had this happen. O well lesson learned I guess.

milkmania
04-26-2011, 02:25 AM
Thats wild. I've done it for 3 years and never had this happen. O well lesson learned I guess.

familiar with "road debris"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOhgMAOrp0c

bturner2
04-26-2011, 07:40 AM
I would never even think of towing with any boards on my racks. I've almost lost a board or two just on high speed runs on the lake. Consider yourself lucky for making it all those other times.

Worse yet I almost lost a cushion out of my boat last year when I forgot to close the walk through door. Very scarey stuff. Glad my boat mainly sits on the lift all year.

scott023
04-26-2011, 07:43 AM
You've got to be kidding us. I would NEVER think of trailering with boards in the racks...

chawk610
04-26-2011, 08:07 AM
I hope there wasn't someone on a motorcycle or convertible car behind you bro... dang!

FourFourty
04-26-2011, 08:08 AM
You trailer your boat with the boards on the racks???

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt108/miscbrahgav/rkelly.gif

UrbantuxTN
04-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Sucks for you, but sucks more for whatever poor soul was behind you on the interstate. I think having a board in the rack while going down the interstate is asking for trouble. That isn't what they were meant for.

samgreazy
04-26-2011, 08:49 AM
I have thought about doing it before but never have.... Now I know why?....that sucks though sorry

DemolitionMan
04-26-2011, 08:56 AM
I never tow with the boards in the rack. I see how much they can move when your on the water.

CantRepeat
04-26-2011, 09:03 AM

No :shocked:

aaron.
04-26-2011, 09:14 AM
did it damage your upholstery? i hope not.

edit: I feel with the racks swiveled inwards, the boards would be behind the boat's windshield, which would help keep them secure. i reckon it's still risky though.

JLeuck64
04-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Sucks for you, but sucks more for whatever poor soul was behind you on the interstate. I think having a board in the rack while going down the interstate is asking for trouble. That isn't what they were meant for.

That's the same conclusion I came to when I lost a fully inflated toob while towing down the highway... actually saw it happen in the mirror so I pulled over and gathered up what was left. Poor young couple were pretty shook up so I appologised and promised them to never go toobing again. Thought I had it tied down pretty good but in hind site, deflated would have been the better choice...

willyt
04-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Hahahah wow this is a topic I never thought id see here.

never Once thought about doing this

chawk610
04-26-2011, 09:51 AM
I think he has learnt' his lesson guys! :)

JLeuck64
04-26-2011, 10:04 AM
I think he has learnt' his lesson guys! :)

Hahaha! Experience is the hardest teacher cuz she gives the test first, the lesson comes afterwards.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Hahaha! Experience is the hardest teacher cuz she gives the test first, the lesson comes afterwards.

Very well said:cool:

broncotw
04-26-2011, 10:28 AM
I have never kept the boards in the racks while towing..... Sorry for your loss.... Don't do it again!!!

Justjoe
04-26-2011, 10:57 AM
I have my kids stay in the bote while on highway trips for that exact reason. If they see boards slipping, it's their job to grab them before somebody gets hurt.

GT500 MC
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM
I have my kids stay in the bote while on highway trips for that exact reason. If they see boards slipping, it's their job to grab them before somebody gets hurt.

That's funny!! I bet they don't use seatbelts either.

DemolitionMan
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Justjoe
04-26-2011, 11:01 AM
That's funny!! I bet they don't use seatbelts either.

Your bote has seatbelts??

thatsmrmastercraft
04-26-2011, 11:03 AM

Very thoughtful of you.:D

06' X-2 R8R H8R
04-26-2011, 11:17 AM
WOW....Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner...Alex can you tell this contestant what he has won...

scott023
04-26-2011, 11:31 AM
WOW....Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner...Alex can you tell this contestant what he has won...

I've got a few ideas..... :D:D:D

kingwoodlee
04-26-2011, 11:31 AM
It's interesting you bring this topic up. 9 years ago, my wife and 10yr old son were driving to the store about 5 miles from our lake house. On the way, they stopped to remove a wakeboard from the middle of the road. My son wanted to take it but wifey said no, someone will come back for it. They compromised, and propped it up against a barbed wire fence right next to the highway. After shopping at the grocery store for over 1 hr, when they returned home, it was still there. Using a 10yr old's logic, the board must have been meant to be his, so the wife let him bring it home. I was mad at first, but he used his reasoning to persuade me to let him keep it due to the fact that he found it, tried to "return" it, and besides, someone else was going to eventually take it anyway. It wasn't a very high end board, but it was a step up from our old Obrien Buzz.

JohnE
04-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Don't stone me but.....I have travelled several times with boards in the rack. 2 hr. trips. BUT I use ratcheting ties (not bungees) and criss cross around the boards, rack, and tower so there was absolutely zero chance of them falling off. I was slightly concerned that the racks might take a beating, but no ill effects.

scott023
04-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Don't stone me but.....I have travelled several times with boards in the rack. 2 hr. trips. BUT I use ratcheting ties (not bungees) and criss cross around the boards, rack, and tower so there was absolutely zero chance of them falling off. I was slightly concerned that the racks might take a beating, but no ill effects.

Someone pass me a rock. 8p

CantRepeat
04-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Someone pass me a rock. 8p

/passes Scott a boulder. :D:D

brucemac
04-26-2011, 02:13 PM
wow.......

gatorguy
04-26-2011, 02:22 PM
I always check that everything is able to withstand gale force winds before I start driving, and I'm only a mile from the ramp. Call me paranoid.

I’m a little worried about our 15hr drive to Lake Powell in Aug. I’ve heard of people losing the padding across the transom on the 97 ps205’s and some people losing the whole rear seat. I plan on trailering without a cover because I don’t have a travel cover.

j4rowell
04-26-2011, 02:40 PM
High schools offer classes at night so you can get your GED.

73blue
04-26-2011, 02:50 PM

Wouldnt it be easier to just take them down?

TayMC197
04-26-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm guilty of driving down the road with the boards in the racks. Difference was I was only going about 200 yards and wouldn't get over 35mph. It just easier to go from the ramp to the river house and not have to setup and take everything down each day...

rlwiley
04-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Guess I need to start playing the lottery. I have been traveling to the lakehouse (bout 1 hour trip) with wakeboards and wakesurf in the racks since 05. Never lost anything. Don't really see what the big deal is. How many have trucks with items riding around in the bed? Are you that worried about those items? Do you take all the wake stuff off the tower when you go barefooting? just askin

brucemac
04-26-2011, 03:23 PM
sorry, but that logic is ridiculous. why would you take a chance like that (no matter how small) at risking someone elses safety? seriously?

sand2snow22
04-26-2011, 03:25 PM
sorry, but that logic is ridiculous. why would you take a chance like that (no matter how small) at risking someone elses safety? seriously?

X 2. I take all of the wakeboards and wakesurf boards off to go skiing so they don't act as sails and help the wake.

RlWiley, ever think of if a surfboard flew out of the racks, went through the windshield of the car behind you and killed a little girl? Guess not.......

brucemac
04-26-2011, 03:29 PM
not a wakeboard, but you get the idea...before and after...

http://www.seattlepi.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=676000&width=628&height=471

rlwiley
04-26-2011, 03:30 PM
I guess I need to check all my lugnuts and the ones on the spare. Can never be to safe. JK
But seriously should we be taking the stuff off the rack at barefooting speeds. I think the board racks secure the boards just fine. Like I said before I have never lost anything and we make the trip every week from April to October. I have had an 05 X9, 06 X30, 06X2, 07 X2, 09 X35 and soon to be 11 X25. What does everybody do with their boards on the trip to the lake? We have 4 wakeboards and 2 wakesurfs. How do you make for certain that the fins don't cut the vinyl?

rlwiley
04-26-2011, 03:37 PM
This is by far the most absurd thread I have read in a while. The majority of posters have made this guy out to be an idiot by traveling with boards in the racks. Now we are going to post hypothetical situations. All I am saying is that I have yet to lose anything off the racks. Hell, I have lost more wheels on my old I/B due to bad bearings.
I guess someone needs to figure out a way to keep the retreads from coming off the semi's.

brucemac
04-26-2011, 03:40 PM
I guess I need to check all my lugnuts and the ones on the spare. Can never be to safe. JK
But seriously should we be taking the stuff off the rack at barefooting speeds. I think the board racks secure the boards just fine. Like I said before I have never lost anything and we make the trip every week from April to October. I have had an 05 X9, 06 X30, 06X2, 07 X2, 09 X35 and soon to be 11 X25. What does everybody do with their boards on the trip to the lake? We have 4 wakeboards and 2 wakesurfs. How do you make for certain that the fins don't cut the vinyl?

buy a bigger rig? :idunno:

This is by far the most absurd thread I have read in a while. The majority of posters have made this guy out to be an idiot by traveling with boards in the racks. Now we are going to post hypothetical situations. All I am saying is that I have yet to lose anything off the racks. Hell, I have lost more wheels on my old I/B due to bad bearings.
I guess someone needs to figure out a way to keep the retreads from coming off the semi's.

i hear banjos

scott023
04-26-2011, 03:43 PM

The racks aren't designed to hold boards in at highways speeds. It's as simple as that. Barefooting speed is one thing, but I'm quite sure your boat doesn't trip the radar at 65 or 70mph on the water like your truck does on the highway.

CantRepeat
04-26-2011, 03:46 PM
I didn't flame the guy. I just No and I was shock anyone would. Why?

There is a big difference between the 44 mph my boat goes and the 70ish I would tow at.

It's pretty clear why you should not do it.

http://mikesell.net/warno.jpg

It's all about learning, right?

CantRepeat
04-26-2011, 03:48 PM
. How do you make for certain that the fins don't cut the vinyl?

+1 for worring about vinyl. Can we get this moved the the swimsuit thread? :D

flipper
04-26-2011, 03:49 PM

How many cars do you have behind you at footing speeds? How much damage does you board get when it falls into the lake compared to the highway? There are a few options here, but just to help ya out a little, most tow vehicles have plenty of space to put boards. Most boats have plenty of room to put boards inside them, and if you can't find a place other than on a vinyl seat, well you need a bigger boat.

Ya see, he WAS an idiot but from reading his reply he seems to have learned from it. May take more for you to learn from this thread I'm guessing. Good luck

milkmania
04-26-2011, 03:51 PM
not a wakeboard, but you get the idea...before and after...

http://www.seattlepi.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=676000&width=628&height=471

was gonna say I'd hit it, but I think somebody already did8p

thatsmrmastercraft
04-26-2011, 03:56 PM
I didn't flame the guy. I just No and I was shock anyone would. Why?

There is a big difference between the 44 mph my boat goes and the 70ish I would tow at.

It's pretty clear why you should not do it.

It's all about learning, right?

Nice pic.:toast:

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-26-2011, 03:56 PM
I too have the boards on the racks when towed to the lake, however the lake is on the other side of the neighborhood and takes 5 minutes to get there never exceding 25 mph. When we goto another body of water all the gear is in the truck.

blakehardesty
04-26-2011, 04:04 PM
I dont have a tower on my boat, but if i did it would be in the boat or truck.

scott023
04-26-2011, 04:05 PM
How many cars do you have behind you at footing speeds? How much damage does you board get when it falls into the lake compared to the highway? There are a few options here, but just to help ya out a little, most tow vehicles have plenty of space to put boards. Most boats have plenty of room to put boards inside them, and if you can't find a place other than on a vinyl seat, well you need a bigger boat.

Ya see, he WAS an idiot but from reading his reply he seems to have learned from it. May take more for you to learn from this thread I'm guessing. Good luck

You can try an explain logic to some people until you're blue in the face, and still not get anywhere. This appears to be one of those times...

flipper
04-26-2011, 04:06 PM
You can try an explain logic to some people until you're blue in the face, and still not get anywhere. This appears to be one of those times...
It happens

scott023
04-26-2011, 04:08 PM
It happens

Not sure why it's so hard ot understand that he's putting others lives at risk... :idunno:

flipper
04-26-2011, 04:10 PM
was gonna say I'd hit it, but I think somebody already did8p
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

thatsmrmastercraft
04-26-2011, 04:19 PM
So the moral is: A fool and his wakeboard are soon parted................but not always.

TayMC197
04-26-2011, 04:39 PM

I would say yes or put an extra strap on them. I had a slalom ski come out and hit a girl in the back seat. Thankfully she was okay but still could have been worse. I have some bungies I bring along to help secure at higher travel speeds..

cal2vin
04-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Thanks man

chawk610
04-26-2011, 04:46 PM
If you have an X25... you prolly have a good size tow vehicle... stow them... anywhere but where they could kill a family driving down the road... or a guy on a Harley already having to dodge texting teen girls driving with their knees while putting on makeup

sand2snow22
04-26-2011, 05:13 PM

Logic......

tex
04-26-2011, 06:09 PM
I see people doing it here but they are usually pulling a Moomba...It only takes once!

Covi
04-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Only a matter of time IMO.

I have always put my board on the tower rack even when driving down the interstate. this is a 2008 tower with the board clamps and the rotating board rack. When I left town for the lake (about 45 min, about 30 miles of interstate) I had the board on the rack. When I got to the lake it was gone. Didn't notice it fall off, but it must have one the way. Good thing it was my old board. Brand new 2011 Ronix One ATR edition was in the cab with me. I have made the same trip with that same board on the same rack easily over 100 times. I dunno what happened this time. It had rained recently so maybe the grip pieces on the clamp were wet. Though I have also drove in the rain, Im at a loss as to what made it fall off THIS time.

CantRepeat
04-26-2011, 07:52 PM
I see people doing it here but they are usually pulling a Moomba...It only takes once!

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

ShamrockIV
04-26-2011, 08:07 PM
wow man. never!!! i agree with previous post. lucky it did not hit someone behind you!

sand2snow22
04-26-2011, 10:09 PM

It's no wonder we have so many lawyers in this country. Let alone to put warning stickers like this all over our boat. Might have been a lawsuit against MC, they didn't tell me not to tow with the boards in the rack. Must be MC's fault for killing the little girl behind me, not mine........:confused:

Cmpdman
04-27-2011, 12:28 AM
I would never do this. Just think of what could have happened if you have someone behind you... Not a smart thing to do.

aaron.
04-27-2011, 08:28 AM
ya'all are really getting off on this thread. lol

Ron Grover
04-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Read your owners manual.

See why common sense is not a legit yardstick in which to measure, thus the need for warning stickers. Sometimes sense is not so common, another good example is in the swimsuit thread.

flipper
04-27-2011, 01:02 PM
She is hot

Justjoe
04-27-2011, 01:34 PM
I would let her ride on my board racks on the e-way. Of course I would prefer she rode in the truck though (kinda like a board),

thatsmrmastercraft
04-27-2011, 01:51 PM
I would let her ride on my board racks on the e-way. Of course I would prefer she rode in the truck though (kinda like a board),

Ditto........