PDA

View Full Version : timing question

john jones
04-25-2011, 08:32 PM
I got rid of my points and installed the electronic ignition with a new coil 2 weeks ago. Boat starts great. I took it to the river this weekend to adjust my timing. I have a 89 with 351. I checked my timing it was just above 30 degrees, I moved it to 10 while idling around 650. It seemed to run fine. I adjusted my throttle speed to set the throttle to 800rpm at idle.

Should I have done this while the trans was in gear? after I got back from a halfhour test run, it was idling around 1100, so I turned the setting back down to 800.

The throttle seemed to stumble alittle at initial takeoff, it was very slight, it ran great other than that. Is it possible that I should have to adjust my carb after adjusting timing?

One other thing. I had to hook my timing light cables to the coil to get power because I didn't have enough lead to reach back to my battery, would there be a problem doing it this way?

thanks for the help. Great site!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-25-2011, 09:09 PM
You would want to check timing with the transmission in neutral (not in gear) with engine warmed up, and you could use the starter solenoid and not the ignition coil to power up the timing light.