PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning boat cover?

agarabaghi
04-25-2011, 03:16 PM
So my boat cover seems to be doing more harm than good, and gets everything kinda dirty inside... Any sugguestions to cleaning it... can you remove the ratchet and string and just wash it in a washer machine?

east tx skier
04-25-2011, 04:33 PM
You can use one of the big washing machines at a laundromat (no soap) double rinse cycle. Air dry. Works well.

You can also use a pressure washer on a low setting.

If it's sunbrella, once dry, spray it with 303 Fabric Guard (green bottle) to re-up the UV and water resistance.

agarabaghi
04-25-2011, 04:47 PM
im not sure if its sunbrella, its the factory mastercraft cover. When u say use the laundromat i can put it in there with the ratchet and stuff or does that come off?

east tx skier
04-25-2011, 05:12 PM
I would err on the side of removing metal parts like a ratchet/turnbuckle before putting it into a commercial washer.

Again, check your material. I know this works with sunbrella. I can't vouch for this method with anything else.

bturner2
04-25-2011, 05:45 PM
If you're talking about the black Surlast cover that comes stock on the newer boats it's not that it's dirty or at least it wasn't with my cover. They just leave scuffs and no matter how many times you clean the cover the marks will be back again. While I like the design of the cover and how it fit on the boat mine leaked like a sieve and left black narks on all the corners that the cover came in contact with. I never had this problem with my Sunbrella cover even after 7 seasons of use.

I just picked up a new Sunbrella cover from skiboatcovers.com. It should be interesting to see how it works out this year.

agarabaghi
04-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Well the cover is clearly dirty. You can see dirt on it. I have heard of the issues with the black marks etc... Im getting it repaired right now, and hopefully it will at least keep most of the water out of the boat lol

xbot50000
04-26-2011, 08:20 AM
bturner is right. The mastercraft covers are great to put on - with the ratchet system, but they lose their ability to repel water. Even if you clean it, the water will seep through and dirty it up again - it's a never ending cycle. Sunbrella is great, but a lot $$$.

agarabaghi
04-26-2011, 08:22 AM
yea im hoping i can repair it. Clean it, maybe scotch guard it or some how improve its water proofing, and get at least a season out of it...