PDA

View Full Version : Infant Life Jacket Recommendations?

197 TT
04-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Any body have any? We bought the Hyperlite infant vest for my 3 month old, but he is extremely uncomfortable in it - won't stand for it. It still seems long, but the neck is way too tight??

02ProstarSammyD
04-24-2011, 02:07 PM
I just picked up 2 toddler ones at costco. The infant ones actually looked pretty snazzy for 16 or 17 bucks

dpolen
04-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Just my 2 cents, but without a doubt, make sure you get a neoprene vest for your little one. I think we had a Kidder I picked up at Fleet Farm for my son and a Hyperlight from the dealership I bought for my daughter.

jdeml
04-24-2011, 07:41 PM
weve always just used coozies. jk

rand49er
04-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Sold my Malibu a few years ago because of this. He's 8-1/2 now, so bought a Mastercraft three weeks ago. Yeah, I know ... not the solution you were looking for. I can tell you I wasn't either.

BrianM
04-24-2011, 09:02 PM
I bought a neoprene one from Overtons. Fit well and my midget seems to like it.

rhsprostar
04-24-2011, 11:13 PM
The Bijoux baby life vest is by far the safest one on the market. As far as I know its the only one that will roll your infant onto his back so they do not injest water should they fall in. Bought one 6 years ago and both my kids used it. Not the cheapest, but your wife will absolutely love you for thinking that highly of your childs saftey.(as you should)
Thankfully we never really had an occasion to test it. I did try it out a few times for fun at the beach with the kids and it does work.
Here is a link....

http://www.salusmarine.com/product/bijoux.html

dstone124
05-12-2011, 09:39 AM
So for the first (2) trips out this year with our 8 month old, the life vest thing has been the biggest pain for all of us (mostly my daughter Madi). We have a hand-me-down vest from some friends purchased from Bart's that's similar to the Bijoux. It's extremely uncomfortable for her to where especially when she's chilling in her car seat.
So here's my question-
Should we just abandon the carseat at the dock and have one of the few people in the boat hold Madi while riding along so that she IS wearing a jacket at all times?
OR, I've had a thought of creating an emergency floatation device that could attach to our car seat and always hold the baby out of the water no matter how it entered. In searching for such a device, I came accross this posting on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lil-Duck-Floatation-Devices-LLC/107224966025004?v=info
Seams like a good start, but still not made for baby's comfort.
I'd love to hear some feed back from other parents that valued their water time as much as I!
Thanks in advance!

CantRepeat
05-12-2011, 10:10 AM
On a side note: Since were talking about very young kids. You're not supposed to use sun screen on infants younger then six months old. Most of the labels indicate this as well. So big hats and lots of shade for the little ones.

On that note, we used the normal infant vest with the big horse collar with the grab handle and the strap that went between their legs so they could not fall out. I don't think my daughter cared one way or the other about the vest, she was just happy to be in the water.

197 TT
05-12-2011, 10:32 AM
As a follow up, I purchased the Bijoux and took my son out last week, no issues. He had a good time. Thanks for the recommendation.

rhsprostar
05-12-2011, 11:04 AM
As a follow up, I purchased the Bijoux and took my son out last week, no issues. He had a good time. Thanks for the recommendation.

No worries, anytime. When he gets a little older, and your wife is not around try it our in the shallow water, it really works......

ORX-1
05-12-2011, 11:16 AM
we got our little guy a Liquid Force jacket and he seems okay with it.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/greggrossi_2008/Carter/MCCarter.jpg

and now that he is 10 months he still seems okay with it, this was last week.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/greggrossi_2008/Carter/yaya.jpg

kskonn
05-12-2011, 12:11 PM
thanks for this thread. I have my first kid, a boy, due in about 4 weeks. I have been buying him lake gear. The last thing I needed was a life jacket.