PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshoot JL audio system

davidstan
04-23-2011, 08:56 AM
1st off i know little about sound systems so i would like some help with what has turned into a bigger problem that i thought. Thought my issue was just a couple of speakers gone out thru a loose wire but it seems my whole system (amps) is weak. While skinig i can not hear the tower speakers at all turned up to 15 even. just noticed also my sub behind the driver seat is out. is there a reset for the 2 amps (i have the stock MC JL system) The head unit seems to work fine and the 2 amps green lights are alluminated. Sound inside the boat is just ok considering i have 3 speakers not working.:mad:

JimN
04-23-2011, 09:57 AM
1st off i know little about sound systems so i would like some help with what has turned into a bigger problem that i thought. Thought my issue was just a couple of speakers gone out thru a loose wire but it seems my whole system (amps) is weak. While skinig i can not hear the tower speakers at all turned up to 15 even. just noticed also my sub behind the driver seat is out. is there a reset for the 2 amps (i have the stock MC JL system) The head unit seems to work fine and the 2 amps green lights are alluminated. Sound inside the boat is just ok considering i have 3 speakers not working.:mad:

You'll have to determine whether all of the speakers stlil work, or not. You can use a AA battery for this- put one wire from each speaker on each terminal and listen for a scratching or popping sound, but don't hold the wires on the battery for a long time. Mark the wires before starting so they go back where they came from.

If they all work, you'll need to find out of the amps have a problem and if you have an iPod with a 3.5mm-RCA plug Y cord, you can plug it into each input jack as a substitute for the head unit after turning the head unit on (the amp won't turn on without 12V on the blue remote wire). Start with the volume turned down and then turn it up to determine which channels work, using a speaker that you have already determined as functional.

Where was this loose wire? If it was a speaker wire, it could have taken the amp with the speakers, depending on whether it shorted positive to negative or to the power supply ground/positive.

Each amp should have at least one fuse.

davidstan
04-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Thx and i ll try that. The loose black wire is by the port bow speaker but for the life of me cant see where to reconnect it. Tweeter and speaker have all wires connected like the ones that work. I can follow it up to the conduit but lose it in a bundle of wires up in the inside of hard to get to bow area.

JimN
04-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Thx and i ll try that. The loose black wire is by the port bow speaker but for the life of me cant see where to reconnect it. Tweeter and speaker have all wires connected like the ones that work. I can follow it up to the conduit but lose it in a bundle of wires up in the inside of hard to get to bow area.

If it's a single wire, I doubt that it's for a speaker. Does the bow light work (both red and green)?

davidstan
04-23-2011, 04:56 PM
This is wierd but all speakers are working now and i have done nothing but jiggle wires around like a monkey. Not sure if it is amplified are not pretty loud when i get it up to 15. All the nav lites work so dont know about the wire hangin down but oh well. I love this website and how people really try to help one another!