PDA

View Full Version : Fake-A-Lake Water Supply Analysis

thatsmrmastercraft
04-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Anyone smarter than me care to determine if the 3/8" hole in the Fake-A-Lake can actually supply enough water for our engines. While I initially used one, I switched over to the bucket method.

epnault
04-22-2011, 02:48 PM
I sure didn't think so when I bought one last year and returned it. I am going to make one like others have posted out of a large bucket.

Footin
04-22-2011, 02:55 PM
I have one, use it every year for the last 20 years, no problem here.

Jorski
04-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Jimn should be around soon to explain why this isn't the best option;)

MattsCraft
04-22-2011, 03:09 PM
I made one out of a standard plunger, worked fine for the amount of time you run the boat to change the oil etc. Worked fair for running antifreeze, leaks a lot! Others don't like it but I am a huge fan of the Perko Flush Kit, used it for 2 years now, no issue. Ran the boat for a good long time this spring and the water temp never got much above 160 even at 1500 RPMs and a few throttle pumps to 4000 RPM's!

milkmania
04-22-2011, 03:18 PM
I keep telling my girlfriend it's not the size of the hose that matters, it's the amount of pressure behind that hose http://www.therideinstyle.com/rimshot.gif

MattsCraft
04-22-2011, 04:06 PM
I keep telling my girlfriend it's not the size of the hose that matters, it's the amount of pressure behind that hose http://www.therideinstyle.com/rimshot.gif

Now that's funny right there:banana:

Thrall
04-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Jimn should be around soon to explain why this isn't the best option;)

Oh boy!
Short story, our water pumps will pull more water than a fake a lake or typical pressure garden hose can supply.
Short answer, like Footin said, it isn't going to hurt anything.

1redTA
04-22-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't see why not? even if a 3/4" hose delivers 10gpm, the water temp is low. The water isn't having to be cooled after absorbing heat from the engine. The water is there to cool, not lubricate that is the oil's job and we are only running the boat long enough to make sure it runs after storage, repairs or to get the oil up to temp when changing it

While I believe the bucket method to be safer incase someone trips over the hose to the fake-a-lake, I haven't heard anyone post that the hose isn't enough to keep the bucket filled at idle.

I do know that the CSR electric water pump on my LT1 car was rated to flow 35 gpm, I don't know if it was rated at free flow or rated for a pressurized close cooling system It was capable of keeping the car cool in the south with the AC on or running down the track. it was not enough for road racing

thatsmrmastercraft
04-22-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't see why not? even if a 3/4" hose delivers 10gpm, the water temp is low. The water isn't having to be cooled after absorbing heat from the engine. The water is there to cool, not lubricate that is the oil's job and we are only running the boat long enough to make sure it runs after storage, repairs or to get the oil up to temp when changing it

While I believe the bucket method to be safer incase someone trips over the hose to the fake-a-lake, I haven't heard anyone post that the hose isn't enough to keep the bucket filled at idle.

I do know that the CSR electric water pump on my LT1 car was rated to flow 35 gpm, I don't know if it was rated at free flow or rated for a pressurized close cooling system It was capable of keeping the car cool in the south with the AC on or running down the track. it was not enough for road racing

My garden hose will not quite keep up with the demands of water from the engine while using the bucket method. I plan to use two hoses to supply my 5 gallon pail to see how that works. Should be way more than enough.

454Prostar190
04-23-2011, 06:25 PM
I have never had a problem with my Fake A Lake and it cools my BBC just fine. I have a cam driven Glenwood water pump/impeller and every spring, I when I'm getting the boat ready, I have let her run on the trailer for 20 to 30 minutes intervals to clear any possible bad/old fuel and to check the alternator and everything else out .

east tx skier
04-23-2011, 08:30 PM
No reason to return it. They're great on toilets. ;)

thatsmrmastercraft
04-23-2011, 08:34 PM
No reason to return it. They're great on toilets. ;)

Wondering which would work better on the toilet - the garden hose or the air nozzle from my compressor?:rolleyes:

east tx skier
04-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Neither. Shop vac is your friend.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Only if you clean it out afterward:D

broncotw
04-23-2011, 09:59 PM
I was at my MasterCraft dealership today and guess what they were using on all the boats they were working on?

FAKE LAKES!!!

JimN
04-23-2011, 10:25 PM
I was at my MasterCraft dealership today and guess what they were using on all the boats they were working on?

FAKE LAKES!!!

Ultimately, it's their choice but there's no way it will supply all of the water volume the raw water pump will demand. I see that as a disservice to customers.

oldairboater
04-23-2011, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't use one because my water volume and pressure can't supply the five gallon bucket. I am not going to take a chance and crack a cylinder wall or warp a head over inadequate cooling water supply sitting in the driveway.

Matt L.
04-24-2011, 09:54 AM
I made an in-line hose connector using standard PVC stuff and a brass quick connector and cap for the hose. I has a ball valve below the connector that I shut off to direct the flow through the engine.

I'm also running the biggest and nicest hose I can find with 90PSI H2O pressure at the valve.

Supplies lots of water and doesn't collapse the line.

Pretty easy to build too.

Later,

Matt

bobx1
04-25-2011, 11:13 AM

FAKE LAKES!!!

Dealt with two MC dealersihips and both use Fake-A-Lakes. As a matter of fact, my current dealer has them for sale in his dealership.....

willyt
04-25-2011, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't use one because my water volume and pressure can't supply the five gallon bucket. I am not going to take a chance and crack a cylinder wall or warp a head over inadequate cooling water supply sitting in the driveway.

Would this even be possible if you don't have overheating issues? The temp gauge will read accurately because theres at very least some water going through the engine... Only thing I could possibly think to go wrong would be some impeller damage.

To each their own I guess

TX.X-30 fan
04-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Wondering which would work better on the toilet - the garden hose or the air nozzle from my compressor?:rolleyes:

Try more fiber in your diet...........

Sodar
04-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Perhaps we could have Hey-zues Freak do a flow analysis and really muddy up some waters.

sand2snow22
04-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Eastie, nothing better than a Nautique on a Fake a lake. Give it a rev and they shoot water plenty far out of that single outlet! Wait for someone to walk by the transom, give her a rev:)