PDA

View Full Version : What prop should I be running?

cutlerdaddy
04-22-2011, 12:58 PM
I have recently purchased a new boat! Its a 2006 X-15 with the MCX engine. My question is what prop should I be running on it? The prop that is on it is the OJ 13.7 x 17, the local dealer here said that the prop is good for here but the boat came from Seattle. I am in Utah so most of my boating is at higher elevations, don't know if the change in elevation makes any difference or not?

Thanks for your help.

willyt
04-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Eric from OJ will be able to answer your question, but it would help to know what you do with the boat... %'s as far as time on the water skiing/surfing/wakeboarding (and how much ballast you run). I'm guessing it should be around the 14.25x14/14.75x15.5/14.25x14.5 range

cutlerdaddy
04-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Willy
Thanks for your thoughts I'll wait to see if Eric answers. So according to you I should be running a different prop?
To answer your question I will need to just guess being that it is our first inboard, we previously had a cobalt. My wife and I both ski, wakeboard, and we both want to surf (badly). My kids are all little but we will be starting them on double skis etc this year. We also tube and cruise around. So percentage 25-40% cruising/tubing/hanging etc. and then the other 60-75% split between skiing/wakeboarding/surfing.

Hope that is clear enough to help answer the question.

Thrall
04-22-2011, 01:50 PM
You obviously haven't had it in the water yet. At 5k+ altitude, the 13.7x17 will not even let the boat get up to full rpms. At 6-7k ft I could barely get 4500rpms on smooth water and with factory ballast full and a half dozen people on board it struggled a bit pulling bigger people out of the water on a wakeboard.
You definately want a lower pitch prop.
Even MC isn't sending out the midsize boats like the X2 and X15 with 17 pitch props anymore. They use a 15 or 15.5" pitch as std equipment.
For your boat you need to be in the 14.xx by 14.xx props.
I switched to an Acme 1285 which is a 14.5" dia x 14.25" pitch. It works awesome. I get full rpms at any elevation below about 9000'. It does raise the rpms for a given speed, but now it will tach out at 5100rpms all day long. Still get 41-42mph top end in a light boat smooth water. Had the boat down at Powell, 3k ft, last year and it really ripped! Felt almost like my old LT1 190 did up in the mountains. Don't worry about over revving with the lower pitch. Don't know if it's the rev limiters on the engines or not, but neither my 190 or my X2 over revved at low altitude with a high alt prop. They just got quicker!
Either OJ or Acme both make fine props for our boat. Eric w/ OJ is nothing but helpful and if you're on the fence he'll let you demo a prop, but you can trust his reccomedation completely. Bill at Acme, same way. Always will steer you in the right direction. Haven't had 'cause to demo one as I haven't bought either prop dirctly from Acme, opted to find one from another supplier at a discount from the factory price.

cutlerdaddy
04-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Thrall your right I haven't been out yet, I'm going next Friday. That is some good info you have given me and I'll definitely contact Eric to see what he recommends. The reason I asked is because I was concerned about the pitch too. I moved my cobalt from sea level to Utah and had to change out the prop for it.
Thanks

Thrall
04-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Are you affiliated with Cutler Arctic Cat? If you are I got some questions for you. Have alot of CPC parts on the M1000 I bought.

cutlerdaddy
04-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Are you affiliated with Cutler Arctic Cat? If you are I got some questions for you. Have alot of CPC parts on the M1000 I bought.

Sorry I am not. My sons name is Cutler.

Jerseydave
04-22-2011, 04:34 PM
14.75 X 15.5 OJ on my '05 X-star with the MCX

Great holeshot, RPM's are not bad for cruising around, top speed around 41. I also run about 2000# total ballast plus 5-6 guys.

I tried the 14.25 X 14.5 OJ and the holeshot is better but the RPM's are pretty high for just cruising around....plus worse fuel economy. Not enough speed on the top end for barefoot either.

For me the 14.75 X 15.5 is a great all-around prop (I'm at sea level) Your X-15 does not have as much wetted surface as my X-star, so even at higher elevations I think it's a good choice for you as well.

cutlerdaddy
04-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks Jerseydave for that, I think your right about the 14.75 x 15.5. I put a call in to Eric at OJ to see what he recommends but it is good to hear what everyone else uses and how they like it.

jason@wakemakers.com
04-22-2011, 09:04 PM
We have a lot of customers in Utah running the OJ 522 (http://www.wakeprops.com/oj-522-propeller.html), and that's a good option if you split your time between higher lakes like Jordanelle and Powell and need to have some top end.

If you're only using the boat for wakeboarding and surfing go with the OJ 477 (http://www.wakeprops.com/oj-477-propeller.html).

Or try them both with our demo program and decide which one works the best for you on your own boat.

CardenFam
04-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Not sure if you are interested but I have a 14.25 x14 and a 13.7 x 15 and I would be willing to trade either one for your stock prop if you are interested. Both are in good shape.

cutlerdaddy
04-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Ok I have one more question. I have purchased my prop and went to install it. I noticed that the prop nut has a small crack in it. I went and purchased another nut and when I went to install it I had a hard time getting it all the way on. I feel I can really crank on it and get it on but I don't want to bend or do any damage to anything. Is a new prop nut always this difficult to put on the first time? What technique can I use to put it on without damaging anything?

Thanks

Ole Miss Rebels
04-29-2011, 01:09 PM
14.25 X 14 OJ on my 2005 xstar with MCX. it was a great prop but eric at oj may suggest the 14.75 X 15.5 (or 14.75 X 17.5).

jason@wakemakers.com
05-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Ok I have one more question. I have purchased my prop and went to install it. I noticed that the prop nut has a small crack in it. I went and purchased another nut and when I went to install it I had a hard time getting it all the way on. I feel I can really crank on it and get it on but I don't want to bend or do any damage to anything. Is a new prop nut always this difficult to put on the first time? What technique can I use to put it on without damaging anything?

Thanks
Are you sure the nut you purchased is the correct size and thread pitch? If you're absolutely positive then it's just the Nylock insert that's making it hard to thread on, and that's to be expected when compared to your old prop nut that has already been treaded on at least time before (that process cuts threads in the Nylock insert, which makes it easier to thread).

If you're not absolutely sure I would recommend buying a new nut that you know is the correct size and thread pitch/count.

davidstan
05-22-2011, 05:18 PM
I have the 14.25 x14.5 oj and the rpms run a little high. What does eric recommend for x2 that skis and surfs?

EJ OJPROP
05-23-2011, 06:04 AM
David - What is a little high?

davidstan
05-23-2011, 06:28 AM
David - What is a little high?

at 30 mph rpms are at 3390

EJ OJPROP
05-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Is that with ballast?

davidstan
05-23-2011, 11:09 AM