PDA

View Full Version : Safe-T-Top: Would you or wouldn't you?

Itsme
04-22-2011, 12:00 PM

I have a 1991 PS190 - all white and have installed the 2003 Stars and Stripes drop-style decals on it.

I also have a white safe-t-top for the boat but have not installed it yet.

Looking for opinions - would you or wouldn't you install the t-top? I realize that they are kind of a pain to work around, but I also think that they look sweet when they are installed.

flipper
04-22-2011, 12:52 PM
I like the look of them, but like you say, they are a pain to get around.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-22-2011, 12:54 PM
I have to agree. I think I would end up putting it on if it were my boat.

blakehardesty
04-22-2011, 12:55 PM
It depends how you use it. I think they are BA and you need to put it on. Your wife and kids will hate it.

Muttley
04-22-2011, 01:14 PM
I wound up taking mine off. Too much in the way with the family and all.

BrianM
04-22-2011, 01:28 PM
That boat would look awesome with the top.

east tx skier
04-22-2011, 01:52 PM
First and foremost, its an option meant as a safety feature. But if you like the look of it, so much the better. Up to you. If you don't use it, no reason to have it.

etduc
04-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Since you ask for opions..
Looks like, it would be a pain to move, from front to back of boat, in normal skiing. Would be different, tourament skiing. Is view of driver's left shoulder compromised?

(Picture was borrowed from showroom pictures.)

corey
04-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Would look sooooooooo awesome!!! Come man, you know you're gonna keep that boat forever to resale isn't an issue, put it on!!!

Craig
04-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Apparently, I am the only one who thinks those things look silly. Pain to maneuver around, look silly, no brainier to me, leave it off.

Just my :twocents:

P.S. That is one nice looking boat!

ProTour X9
04-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Put some stars on the top and put it on! :)

JohnE
04-22-2011, 08:01 PM
I think it would look great but be a pain in the ***. I'd leave it off.

Covi
04-22-2011, 08:07 PM
As a previous owner of an 87' and 89' both with safe T tops I think they look great but suck for functionality. I removed the top off of the 89' after a couple of years and wish I had never ordered it with it.....

ShamrockIV
04-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Apparently, I am the only one who thinks those things look silly. Pain to maneuver around, look silly, no brainier to me, leave it off.

no u are not the only one. i agree PAIN IN THE @$$

Eddie Dodge
04-22-2011, 08:51 PM
I love mine. But I can say that it is a pain at times. There is no way I would ever think about removing it. To me it does not look correct without the net. I will not pull it down the road without the net stretched across. I do not use the net except for short line. It has already saved a few headaches. Since mine was on the pro tour, it has some history that goes with it, which is probably another reason I would never remove it. If I had the choice of buying a new 190, I would add it. It sets you apart from the mainstream, which is the reason for owning one of these, correct?

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/prostar190/P1030987.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
04-22-2011, 09:51 PM
I love mine. But I can say that it is a pain at times. There is no way I would ever think about removing it. To me it does not look correct without the net. I will not pull it down the road without the net stretched across. I do not use the net except for short line. It has already saved a few headaches. Since mine was on the pro tour, it has some history that goes with it, which is probably another reason I would never remove it. If I had the choice of buying a new 190, I would add it. It sets you apart from the mainstream, which is the reason for owning one of these, correct?

Very cool looking boat.:cool:

Itsme
04-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Since you ask for opions..
Looks like, it would be a pain to move, from front to back of boat, in normal skiing. Would be different, tourament skiing. Is view of driver's left shoulder compromised?

(Picture was borrowed from showroom pictures.)

We actually used to ski behind the boat pictured--
Even entered it in the water ski mags "best looking rig" contest way back when

ProStar Slalom
04-23-2011, 02:37 AM
So...how do shortline skiers even ski behind one of these? From the pictures above, it sure looks like the top is mounted well behind the pylon and would therefore interfere with the rope at short line lengths. And back to the original question...no way, don't do it.

DJ 50
04-23-2011, 03:57 AM

I don't like the look either. Is there a reason for them or just for looks?

Patrick Hardy
04-23-2011, 07:07 AM

I feel the exact same way about mine. I have owned my boat for fourteen years and it would feel / look completely strange to me if I took it off. It is like a second nature to get into the boat and duck down under neath the safety top.

Patrick Hardy
04-23-2011, 07:18 AM
So...how do short line skiers even ski behind one of these? From the pictures above, it sure looks like the top is mounted well behind the pylon and would therefore interfere with the rope at short line lengths. And back to the original question...no way, don't do it.

The only interference would be if someone was skiing at extremely short line, 41 off and shorter. My ski partner consistently ski's 39 off and it does not interfere with the rope. My safe-t-top is always the first thing that people mention when talking to me about my boat.
Most people comment about how unique and cool looking it is.

Patrick Hardy
04-23-2011, 07:23 AM
I don't like the look either. Is there a reason for them or just for looks?

The reason is for protection / safety. There is a netting that spans the back of the safe-t-top. It stops the handle from hitting the driver, ski judge and or passengers when the rope / handle comes back into the boat.

Patrick Hardy
04-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Here is a old picture of my dirty boat with the safe-t-top after a long day of skiing.

03 35th Anniversary
04-23-2011, 09:31 AM
I'd put it on!

You can always take it back off!

454Prostar190
04-23-2011, 06:28 PM
I like the look of them, but like you say, they are a pain to get around.

My thoughts, exactly!

DJ 50
04-25-2011, 05:18 AM
The reason is for protection / safety. There is a netting that spans the back of the safe-t-top. It stops the handle from hitting the driver, ski judge and or passengers when the rope / handle comes back into the boat..

Got it. That makes sense thanks.

StuSX
04-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Not being a skier... does that happen often ( rope snapping back and hitting someone), or is it rare? Seems like a PITA thing to have on an already tiny boat if you have a family.

That boat looks really nice how it is, and if you weigh the occasional rope snap against the risk of a small kid standing up and slamming teeth first into that thing if you hit a roller, I'd leave it off. It sort of looks like the spoiler on a Toyota Celica.

aquaman
04-25-2011, 08:51 AM
They are a nice safety feature for tournament pulls.......and they looked stylish...............in the 80's. :rolleyes:

samgreazy
04-25-2011, 10:03 AM
I think they look cool. Prolly are a pain but I like them

absolutezero
08-02-2011, 10:54 PM
The reason is for protection / safety. There is a netting that spans the back of the safe-t-top. It stops the handle from hitting the driver, ski judge and or passengers when the rope / handle comes back into the boat.

I've wondered what that thing was for... Thanks for explaining. Question though - why don't they still have them? Do the newer boats not suffer from the same issue of rope/handle coming back into the boat?

jipster43
08-02-2011, 11:05 PM
I removed mine and really enjoy the added space. I love the way they look though. Drop me a line if you're looking for one - mine will not be re-installed.

JP :)

jipster43
08-02-2011, 11:08 PM
why don't they still have them? Do the newer boats not suffer from the same issue of rope/handle coming back into the boat?

Most folks use shock tubes these days. They're just as effective and don't affect the interior ergonomics.

JP :)

milkmania
08-02-2011, 11:36 PM
looks like a PITA for the cover to go over

Sullivan
08-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Aka, Headache bar. I would think twice before doing it, everytime I drove one I always ended up hitting the back of my head on the darn thing. In the way of everything. Looks cool but its functually not so cool.

teddy
08-03-2011, 12:39 AM
I had the t top on for several years on a 1990 that I owned until 2003. A couple more reasons to have one. A great place to dry your towels. Another place for your MasterCraft decal. My kids would lay on top of it and sun themselves when they were little.

Tough to run a bimini top with.

My family being more practical than me didn't want one on our 92 MasterCraft. If you decide to put it on please post as I love the look of your white hull with the stars.

wheeler
08-03-2011, 11:16 AM
This was mine. Sold it 2 years ago. Loved the look, hated crawling under/over it :-)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/Mrkwhlr2/Phoenix098.jpg

wheeler
08-03-2011, 11:16 AM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/Mrkwhlr2/mastercraft5.jpg

aarosurf
08-03-2011, 11:33 AM
I think they look a little weird.

CantRepeat
08-03-2011, 11:55 AM
I would not.

woodrowskis
08-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I had an 86 withn a safety top. There are positives over just the appearance.
If you spend much time zipping up the lake oor river to your favorite ski spot and have no rear seat (like most of us), sitting on the engine box propped on the safety bar was everones 1st choice. Granted these were adults and not kids.

I recommend working both ways. I liked to put it on for a while and take it off for a while.
I made two pieces of teak although other boat matching materials would do (one for each side.) The teak piecces should be cut so that they cover the bolt holes and safetbar imprint that will be on your sides, but the screws holes that hold down the teak should be inside the safety bar footprint.

Its like having two differrent boats and takes like 10 minutes to swap.

shepherd
08-03-2011, 12:35 PM
That thing would drive me crazy! If I bought a boat with one, I'd probably take it off if it wasn't too big of a deal (if it was I probably wouldn't buy the boat).

As for safety, I've never seen a handle fly back into the boat and hit someone in the 18 years I've been skiing. I'm sure it can happen, but I bet it's very rare. You don't see the net on boats these days.

As for looks, well.... that's a matter of opinion, but I think functionality should take precedence over appearance. I think all towers are ugly but I would have one on my boat if I wanted to be a serious wakeboarder.

snork
08-03-2011, 12:55 PM
If you spend much time zipping up the lake oor river to your favorite ski spot and have no rear seat (like most of us), sitting on the engine box propped on the safety bar was everones 1st choice. Granted these were adults and not kids.

I recommend working both ways. I liked to put it on for a while and take it off for a while.
I made two pieces of teak although other boat matching materials would do (one for each side.) The teak piecces should be cut so that they cover the bolt holes and safetbar imprint that will be on your sides, but the screws holes that hold down the teak should be inside the safety bar footprint.

Great Idea

thatsmrmastercraft
08-03-2011, 01:12 PM

A genuine thinker, you are.