PDA

View Full Version : Dont get the boat wet????

Cousin_Jeff
07-19-2005, 08:37 PM
I am now the proud owner of a new ignition switch for my 2002 Prostar. After spending the weekend on the water, I noticed as I was leaving the lake that the check engine light was on. I thought that was extremely weird since the key wasn't in the ignition.

The boat had been on the trailer all night and ran fine all during the weekend. I dropped it off at the dealer and they called me back to say that they determined that the ignition was bad. I asked what would have caused this so that I may prevent it in the future. They said that getting it wet was not good for it and that there was water in it. I asked them how they would suggest that I not get something in a BOAT wet?

After I paid the $154 for a $10 part and labor, I asked the guy again seriously what can I do to prevent this. I just can't justify $154 every time that it rains for a new ignition. He suggested that I get some liquid electric tape and coat the back side of the ignition to keep moisture out. I just thought I would pass that on to everyone so that you may avoid this costly little discovery that I had over the weekend.

Cousin_Jeff
07-19-2005, 08:39 PM
One other thing. I do keep the boat covered during storage. I got caught in the rain twice over the weekend with pop up afternoon showers.

MarkP
07-19-2005, 10:14 PM
CJ,

I know, I know, hindsight is 20/20, but I think if your boat gets wet like that again you could disconnect the battery and blow out the iggy switch with compressed air, let it dry a little while longer and you should be good to go. (worth a try)

You must have gotten caught in quite a storm. At least your getting out,:headbang: ..

JDK
07-19-2005, 10:33 PM
After I paid the $154 for a $10 part and labor, I asked the guy again seriously what can I do to prevent this.

Hard to prevent this, but if it happens again, try remove the switch and dousing it with WD40 (while turning the key back and forth). Re-install and see what happens.
I hate WD40, but this is one thing that it really works at. (WD means water displacer)

prostar205
07-20-2005, 01:56 AM
Jeff -

I have heard from MYMC (Mike at Charlotte MasterCraft) that may 2002 ignition switches were installed upside down - meaning the drain hole was at the top. This very well could have been your problem, the water had no palce to go. Make sure the shop installing the new $154 ignition switch puts the drain hole at the bottom.

BG1772
07-20-2005, 08:22 AM
I would consider your self lucky. Obviously, nobody likes spending $154 for a $10 part, but your problem was resolved without any real downtime. One of my friends has a 2002 197 that the ignition switch went bad. The dealer he bought the boat from had told him that they had just replaced the switch a couple of weeks before he bought it – maybe they put it in upside down?

We were down at Dale Hollow Lake, TN for a week long trip. My friend owns his boat with a partner who also had a weekend trip planned in Dale Hollow. His partner was using the boat the first weekend we were down and we were scheduled to pick up the boat on Sunday night after 6:00. On Sunday night we jump into another boat and head to the other side of the lake (20 miles) where his partner had been staying.

We get to the marina to find his partner waiting right where she said she would. Then we get the bad news “It just stopped starting”, she explained. We mess around for a bit and decide that the starter must have blown up due to the key sticking in the start position. We weigh the options and decide to drag the boat back to where we were staying rather than go back and get the truck to trail it back.

An hour into our journey home, it starts to lightning and it was a killer show. Then less than one mile from our marina it starts to pour rain. It is raining so hard that you can not see 10’ in front and barely can see the 197 behind. We get back to the dock and get the boat into a covered slip and find out that the bilge pump could not keep up with the amount of rain coming down. There was about 1” of water on top of the floor.

Monday morning we take the starter out and confirm that it is totally destroyed. We start calling and get our dealer and skidim to over night us a new starter. We get both starters the next day only to find out that they were both for a 5.7L and my friend has a 6.0L (the starters are completely different). We call the dealer and skidim back. SkiDim has no part number for a 6.0L starter, but the dealer has one. They agree to ship us another starter. Then we realize that my friend’s truck also has a 6.0L engine. We pull the starter off and it is an exact match. Put it on the boat and everything works perfectly.

Tennesseeski
07-20-2005, 08:50 AM
From what I have read on here make sure you guys put the marine starter back on the boat SOON. It is not safe to run a auto starter on a boat I don't think.

BG1772
07-20-2005, 08:57 AM
We did as soon as we got the new one. It was just killing us to have the nicest boat on the trip dead in the water. We were very careful to run the blower a lot before we started.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Would it help or hurt to put dielectric grease in the ig. cylinder to keep the water out. This is what we do with our trailer light conections to keep water from screwing up the terminals. Just wondering if this might be an option.

BG1772
07-20-2005, 09:11 AM
The dealer recommend spraying some WD-40 in the ignition. Not sure if it would cause any problems, but the WD stands for Water Displacment.

Cousin_Jeff
07-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Prostar 205 you bring up a good point. I did notice that the new ignition is upside down from the old one. On the old one I put the key in with the teeth down and on the one that was replaced the teeth go up.

Anyone have any recollection of how their key is or how do I tell where the drain is on the ignition? Is it clearly visible just by looking behind the dash where it is mounted?

sorry if these are dumb questions but I am not a very mechanical person.

BG1772
07-20-2005, 09:30 AM
My 01 X-Star has the teeth up.

bcampbe7
07-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Prostar 205 you bring up a good point. I did notice that the new ignition is upside down from the old one. On the old one I put the key in with the teeth down and on the one that was replaced the teeth go up.

Anyone have any recollection of how their key is or how do I tell where the drain is on the ignition? Is it clearly visible just by looking behind the dash where it is mounted?

sorry if these are dumb questions but I am not a very mechanical person.

On my '96 PS190, the key goes in teeth up.

Cousin_Jeff
07-20-2005, 10:45 AM
ah ha. Maybe we are on to something here. Perhaps my ignition was originally upside down and now the replacement is now installed correctly (teeth up).

I am glad to hear this b/c I was kind of miffed that the ignition was "upside down" when I picked it up. Now I realize that the new one is now installed correctly.

I am still going to try the liquid electric tape to seal the back side of the ignition.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

phecksel
07-20-2005, 11:19 AM
From what I have read on here make sure you guys put the marine starter back on the boat SOON. It is not safe to run a auto starter on a boat I don't think.
Why? I ran one for a couple of years before I sold the boat. My boat starter sees far less water then my auto starter.

BG1772
07-20-2005, 11:32 AM
It is because marine starters are sealed to prevent a spark.

amesgardner
07-27-2005, 04:51 PM
It was my boat that BG1772 was talking about. WD works great and I hang a towel from the bimini to redirect the water when caught in a storm. Seems the way bimini is set, water flows right over the side and down over the ignition.

Plus I confirm what prostar205 said there was a known ignition problem in 2002. But I didnt know it a was bad install.

amesgardner
07-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Teeth are up in mine too.

Jayc
07-28-2005, 06:19 AM
My ignition switch gets wet all the time as does the rest of the dash.

I use wd40 with the little red tube and give the barrel a blast every few weeks.

Never had any problems in years.

Bet it won't start now Saturday morning!

mgurley
06-23-2009, 09:25 AM
I am now the proud owner of a new ignition switch for my 2002 Prostar. After spending the weekend on the water, I noticed as I was leaving the lake that the check engine light was on. I thought that was extremely weird since the key wasn't in the ignition.

I've got this exact problem on my '02 197...and yes my key goes teeth down...I wonder if I can flip it over myself and spray it w/ some WD40 and be good or should I go ahead and spring for the new switch? I definitly dont want to be stranded...

mgurley
07-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Went ahead and bought the new ignition switch from my dealer $59 and some change... came with two new keys...my old switch was indeed upside down (drain hole at the top).