PDA

View Full Version : Shopping progress...

BWB-745-
04-21-2011, 02:28 PM
I am slowly making progress in my boat shopping but have a few questions as to which boat I should narrow my search down to. I wakeboard, slalom, and hope to learn to barefoot in the future. I am looking for pretty much any MC 1984 and up, I do not want to deal with rotten floors or stringers. In my price range I am finding S&S and a PS190's.

Love the look and sound of the S&S.

As far as the PS190's I prefer the 92+ models just off of looks alone compared to the 88-91 although i would still pull the trigger on the right one.

Which hull would throw a better wakeboard wake? (I will run some type of ballast but nothing too heavy)

Also I plan on paying in full and would like to keep it under $8,000 as I am only one year out of college and do not want any type of payments. Obviously re-sale is something I want to consider and the newer the boat the better the re-sale; although I do not see such a cheap boat depreciating very much.

Thanks for the help.

BWB-745-
04-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Anyone? Bueller...Bueller?

I realize none of these are designed for wakeboarding but figured someone on here would have some input on wakeboarding behind them.

Double D
04-21-2011, 08:22 PM
I am slowly making progress in my boat shopping but have a few questions as to which boat I should narrow my search down to. I wakeboard, slalom, and hope to learn to barefoot in the future. I am looking for pretty much any MC 1984 and up, I do not want to deal with rotten floors or stringers. In my price range I am finding S&S and a PS190's.

Love the look and sound of the S&S.

As far as the PS190's I prefer the 92+ models just off of looks alone compared to the 88-91 although i would still pull the trigger on the right one.

Which hull would throw a better wakeboard wake? (I will run some type of ballast but nothing too heavy)

Also I plan on paying in full and would like to keep it under $8,000 as I am only one year out of college and do not want any type of payments. Obviously re-sale is something I want to consider and the newer the boat the better the re-sale; although I do not see such a cheap boat depreciating very much.

Thanks for the help.

For what you want to do I would recommended an early 90's model PS205. We wakeboard & kneeboard with fat sacs, ski, barefoot and its got a great slalom wake. More room with the open bow, etc. I keep hearing it has one of the preferred wakes, ever. Of course I am bias since I own one. :rolleyes:

bturner2
04-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Both boats you're talking about are slalom boats. Lightly weighted these boats are going to be marginal at best. Barefooting should be fine. You may want to move your search in a slightly different direction towards a TriStar if you're looking for more of a wake boat or better yet an early MariStar however any of the vdrives are going to go outside your budget unless you fine a basket case.

I'm not certain when total fiberglass boats hit the market but I do know a I see quite a few posts on the SS boats having stringers replaced. While I'm certain you'll want a boat for this season you may want to consider either waiting till fall when you can raise your purchase price to the $13k - $15k level to get in a boat that will do what you want it to do. If you really want a wakeboard boat the SS and 190 while capable when weighted properly are really (IMO) not suited for the task. I had a 95 Maristar 200vrs that sounds like it would have been the perfect boat for you. I sold boat 2 years ago for $15K. The boat was near perfect with 670 hours. Not sure what one would go for these days.

Jerseydave
04-21-2011, 08:55 PM
As said before, a 205 would be a nice choice....although a bit more $$ than you want to spend. Here's an example

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=27599

BTW, stay away from trendy colors from the 90's.....sometimes it hurts resale.
Also I don't think the Tri-star models hold value as well as the prostar.

Double D
04-21-2011, 09:01 PM
As said before, a 205 would be a nice choice....although a bit more $$ than you want to spend. Here's an example

Hey Jerseydave, whats a "Trendy" color from the 90's??

BrianM
04-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Hey Jerseydave, whats a "Trendy" color from the 90's??

He probably referring to the teal and purple boats of that period.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-21-2011, 09:26 PM

I think the Tristars hold their value, the local malibu dealer offered my 9k for my 89 TS just last month ....

IMO for your price range the TS is probably the better choice its heavier than PS & SS so you can run less ballast, although TS dont come up for sale very often....

BWB-745-
04-21-2011, 10:31 PM
First off thanks for the replies.

I will not be purchasing anything until the fall at earliest. The family has a Crownline at the lake house so I can still get out on the water and get my skiing/wake fix.

Ideally a 205 would be awesome, it is just very rare to find them around the 10k price range and I am hesitant to purchase anything above 7-8K because I see this as a starter boat that I will eventually sell to buy a newer OB DD that I will plan on keeping for a longer period of time.

I guess the correct decision would be make due (sounds spoiled, I know) with the family boat until I can afford what I want from the start. So to recap, what I was planning on was to get a SS or PS190 to hold me over while I continue to save money for the OB DD because I would lose relatively little on the resale of said boat.

As far as the TriStar, I have read on here that their wakes are very tempermental to weight. Maybe I was mistaken as I haven't seen a thread on them in a while.

MIskier
04-21-2011, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE=BWB-745-;747093]First off thanks for the replies.

I will not be purchasing anything until the fall at earliest. The family has a Crownline at the lake house so I can still get out on the water and get my skiing/wake fix.

Ideally a 205 would be awesome, it is just very rare to find them around the 10k price range and I am hesitant to purchase anything above 7-8K because I see this as a starter boat that I will eventually sell to buy a newer OB DD that I will plan on keeping for a longer period of time.

I guess the correct decision would be make due (sounds spoiled, I know) with the family boat until I can afford what I want from the start. So to recap, what I was planning on was to get a SS or PS190 to hold me over while I continue to save money for the OB DD because I would lose relatively little on the resale of said boat.

It all comes down to which you plan on doing more...if you plan on a lot of slalom and just recreational wake boarding a weighted 190 will do well, and if youre going early 90's go for a '91 -'94 That boat has what is still considered to be one of the best slalom wakes ever. The Tristars are pretty temperamental and they have a very wide table for slalom.

SWeaver
04-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Theres a 205 for sale on a thread on here for 10k. The thread is from today or yesterday "price my boat" or something like that.

BWB-745-
04-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I saw that thread and that is a great looking boat. However I will not be making any purchases until after this season at the earliest.

As far as what I will be using the boat for would be recreational slalom and wakeboarding. I have never ran the course (would love to try though) and am still working on my first invert. I would say novice at both currently.