PDA

View Full Version : uh oh :(

watersports guy
04-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Well i started the work on my heads tonight every thing is going very smooth manifold bolts all came out o.k valve covers and valves look clean and then..... As i pulled off the intake manifold there must have been some water still in the head and my heart cringed as i see little beads of water slide there way into my crank. needles to say i'm freaking out! What can i do? it wasn't much, but this is my boat man!!! I still have a lot of work to do pull the old heads clean every thing up and start rebuilding. As always any help is greatly appreciated. :confused:

Hoosier Bob
04-20-2011, 10:34 PM
You pulled the heads and the manifold and you can see the crank? I seriously doubt much got in. Drain your oil and fog her up. Most if not all will evaporate before you are done. Are you saying water went through where the pushrods go to the cam through the block? Once the heads are off there is not much left. Personally I would keep your drain out and let the motor dry. When all is reassembled change the oil early after a short break in. I am assuming you are not dealing with a sealed system so you are speaking of very little water. Iwould not worry too much. This is better than the nut I dropped in mine while doing like work.:DWell i started the work on my heads tonight every thing is going very smooth manifold bolts all came out o.k valve covers and valves look clean and then..... As i pulled off the intake manifold there must have been some water still in the head and my heart cringed as i see little beads of water slide there way into my crank. needles to say i'm freaking out! What can i do? it wasn't much, but this is my boat man!!! I still have a lot of work to do pull the old heads clean every thing up and start rebuilding. As always any help is greatly appreciated. :confused:

Hoosier Bob
04-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Here are some pics. http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14937

watersports guy
04-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks bob, first timer here.... i'm just learning as i go.

watersports guy
04-20-2011, 10:53 PM
the pics are great ill send some in.

Hoosier Bob
04-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Good luck and have fun. If you read on in that thread you will see where a nut and I had a bout. Keep your distributer hole plugged!! I took the rag out for one second and BANG! :Dthe pics are great ill send some in.

etduc
04-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Well i started the work on my heads tonight every thing is going very smooth manifold bolts all came out o.k valve covers and valves look clean and then..... As i pulled off the intake manifold there must have been some water still in the head and my heart cringed as i see little beads of water slide there way into my crank. needles to say i'm freaking out! What can i do? it wasn't much, but this is my boat man!!! I still have a lot of work to do pull the old heads clean every thing up and start rebuilding. As always any help is greatly appreciated. :confused:

No big deal. Your engine wasn't running, so the water would travel directly to the oil pan.
Drain your oil, put in new. That's what most engine guys do. Most will only, check oil level, and call it good. As mentioned, there is a little moisture inside the crankcase, at various times anyway. Also, as mentioned keep your cylinder bores oiled, while heads are off.

If you anal about it, put fresh oil, crank engine, let it idle for about 20 minutes (with fake-a-lake attached) drain oil, put good oil. Go ski.