PDA

View Full Version : Gauge problem??

samgreazy
04-20-2011, 01:43 PM
So got my boat out this weekend and noticed my temp gauge was pinned over passed 240. Then went way passed 240 then about halfwaY through the day it started acting like it was reading normal. 02 xstar. Anybody have any idea what could be wrong? I'm not too worried about it but it would be nice if it worked right.

Starshack
04-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Most likely the sending unit or thermostat but it is not something to ignore and assume it is OK - you might have some blockage in your freshwater system, bad impeller etc. Only thing worse than overheating an engine is running it without oil. Not sure how long you ran it over 240 but my 190PS has a 140 degree thermostat and never gets any hotter.

samgreazy
04-20-2011, 03:11 PM
I watched the engine the whole time the gauge when I started the boat was already pinned passed 240......I watched the engine closely and there is no way it was that hot. About an hour later it was reading 160 like it should

willyt
04-20-2011, 03:19 PM
if you engine alarm didnt sound i would think it would be a bad gauge, even if it was the sending unit your alarm would have gone off. There's no way you ran past 240 for any length of time... engine would be smokin like a Indian chief at a peace conference (or something...)

samgreazy
04-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Haha yeah I just talked to a dealer said it prolly had a little moisture in it since it seemed to be working right towards the end of the day