PDA

View Full Version : How will my spare prop perform over my stock prop?

captain planet
04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
I stumbled across my spare prop this past weekend and was wondering how it would perform compared to my stock prop.

The spare prop is a OJ 13x12 three blade. The stock prop is a 4 blade........? I'll have to look at it when I get home tonight and get the exact pitch and size.

My boat is a 1998 190 Anniversary with the 350 HP LT-1 engine.

EJ OJPROP
04-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Is the 13 X 12 an XMP or hand finished? Guessing the 4-blade is a 13 X 13.

captain planet
04-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Is the 13 X 12 an XMP or hand finished? Guessing the 4-blade is a 13 X 13.

How would I be able to tell this?

EJ OJPROP
04-20-2011, 02:05 PM
How old is the prop? Any other markings on it?

captain planet
04-20-2011, 02:15 PM

I received the prop in 2000 along with an upgraded rudder (which I also have yet to install). I'll have to check for other markings tonight and let you know.

EJ OJPROP
04-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Should be a date stamp on the side of the hub.

ctjahn
04-20-2011, 03:58 PM

Sorry all, I may not be educated on the subject but does prop age matter? (If it is in good condition?)

cj

captain planet
04-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Sorry all, I may not be educated on the subject but does prop age matter? (If it is in good condition?)

cj

I have been told no by EJ at OJ. A buddy of mine once told me that they need rebuilt after a number of years because they get worn out....but EJ told me that is not the case.

ctjahn
04-20-2011, 05:27 PM
I have been told no by EJ at OJ. A buddy of mine once told me that they need rebuilt after a number of years because they get worn out....but EJ told me that is not the case.

Thank you.
Never thought about it before in all my years of boating but, I wanted to ask
I would hate to find out the hard way...
Cj

Double D
04-20-2011, 05:50 PM

I cant disagree but the prop I got with my boat needed redone because there was no "curve" on the blades. This would result in over-revving the engine during fast runs and then the engine wouldn't run right. Once the prop was redone and the "curves" were added back to each blade, my problem went away. Strange I know. Even went typing it I said "I cant be serious", but it was true.

I cant say the prop did that to itself based on age or if the last person to repair it did it wrong.... :confused:

Shooter McKevin
04-20-2011, 06:14 PM
I received the prop in 2000 along with an upgraded rudder (which I also have yet to install). I'll have to check for other markings tonight and let you know.

Hey Captain,

Is your upgraded rudder to go from the flat angle rudder wing to the steeper angle rudder wing? Or from with wing to without. I ask because I'm considering the switch to the 06 rudder from my 2000 winged rudder.

Kevin

jason@wakemakers.com
04-20-2011, 06:47 PM
I cant say the prop did that to itself based on age or if the last person to repair it did it wrong.... :confused:

Definitely the latter. The modulus of elasticity of Nibral is high enough that there's no way your blades are losing cup just by running the boat. If that were the case the whole shape of the prop would change through use.

ahhudgins
04-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Definitely the latter. The modulus of elasticity of Nibral is high enough that there's no way your blades are losing cup just by running the boat. If that were the case the whole shape of the prop would change through use.

Couldn't you just run the boat in reverse for a while and put the curve back in the prop?;)

CP, I would just go ahead and swap the prop out and see how it does. If you like it, leave it on the boat. If not, put it back in the shed for a spare. A CNC prop will have an obvious pattern of symetrical swirls on the blades. I don't have a picture handy to post.

captain planet
04-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Hey Captain,

Is your upgraded rudder to go from the flat angle rudder wing to the steeper angle rudder wing? Or from with wing to without. I ask because I'm considering the switch to the 06 rudder from my 2000 winged rudder.

Kevin

The upgraded rudder is similar to the one that is on my buddies 04 197, except mine has a wing. It is not very rounded like the one on the boat now and is more angular in shape. I will have to take a picture of the one on the boat and the spare, but it will have to be a while because I won't get back up to the lake for about 2 weeks or so.

captain planet
04-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Should be a date stamp on the side of the hub.

OK, the original prop that is on the boat is an OJ 13X13 four blade.

How will the 3 blade perform compared to the one on the boat now?

As it stands now, other than pulling my kids around on a kneeboard or a wakeboard (6 years old so about 14 mph) mostly I am footing or slalom skiing.

Double D
04-20-2011, 11:07 PM
OK, the original prop that is on the boat is an OJ 13X13 four blade.

How will the 3 blade perform compared to the one on the boat now?

As it stands now, other than pulling my kids around on a kneeboard or a wakeboard (6 years old so about 14 mph) mostly I am footing or slalom skiing.

Hmmm... I am looking to go from a 3 blade to a 4 blade to get more pop, and your wondering if your 3 blade would work better than your current four blade... WHATS THE ANSWER???!!!??!! :D:D

cmarty123
04-21-2011, 09:07 AM
My guess is this... The boat came originally with a 3 blade prop. The previous owner bought a 4 blade to further improve the performance. From what I have heard from everybody on this website, the 4 blade is far superior in many aspects although you might lose 1-2 mph at WOT.

Fortunately your previous owner held on to the 3 blade as a spare. My previous owner probably sold the original 3 blade for $25, and now I have a 4 blade without a spare!

Shooter McKevin
04-21-2011, 11:12 AM
The upgraded rudder is similar to the one that is on my buddies 04 197, except mine has a wing. It is not very rounded like the one on the boat now and is more angular in shape. I will have to take a picture of the one on the boat and the spare, but it will have to be a while because I won't get back up to the lake for about 2 weeks or so.

Cool. Pictures are good. If you decide to swap them over, make sure you do a complete report.

captain planet
04-21-2011, 11:38 AM
My guess is this... The boat came originally with a 3 blade prop. The previous owner bought a 4 blade to further improve the performance. From what I have heard from everybody on this website, the 4 blade is far superior in many aspects although you might lose 1-2 mph at WOT.

Fortunately your previous owner held on to the 3 blade as a spare. My previous owner probably sold the original 3 blade for $25, and now I have a 4 blade without a spare!

Actually my boat had the 4 blade on it, I received the spare prop the day I picked my boat up and rudder was given to me about a year and a half later. I need to switch the rudder out because I was told it would perform better. The prop I'm just curious how it will perform, plus my 4 blade has a couple very small nicks in it I need to get repaired. :(

EJ OJPROP
04-21-2011, 11:49 AM
The old style 13 X 12 should be good on the low end but may run higher RPM than the 13 X 13 4-blade. You can send the 4-blade down and I can take a look at it for repairs.

captain planet
04-30-2011, 11:49 PM
The old style 13 X 12 should be good on the low end but may run higher RPM than the 13 X 13 4-blade. You can send the 4-blade down and I can take a look at it for repairs.

I got a look at that spare prop today. The date of manufacture is stamped 11 97.

EJ OJPROP
05-02-2011, 07:03 AM
As I said, that prop should have good low end but may run higher RPM in the mid range and top end than the current prop.

d36yzrider
05-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Props do wear out it just depends on where you ski. Im mostly on the Sacramento river it's very silty and over time the cuping on the edge of the fins wears out and fuel mileage goes way down I usually replace my prop after a few years of use