PDA

View Full Version : raccoon deterrent

captain planet
04-20-2011, 12:41 PM
About 4 years ago or so when I went to the lake for the beginning of the season I found a racoon had made a nest out of my good soft-sided cooler and made a mess of my shed. I was told that moth-balls would keep the racoon out of my shed and that has worked for the last 4 winters.

This last weekend I went up to the lake and found another racoon starting a nest in my shed and got it out before it had its babies. I had moth-balls in my shed but it didn't seem to make a difference as the racoon had them spread out all over the place.

In talking with a couple of people and a little research on the web, I have one idea in mind to prevent this next year but wanted to run this past everyone here and see what has worked for them.

I guess coyote urine is the way to go? In the early spring put it around the campground to keep the racoons away since the coyote is their biggest predator. I'm thinking do this in the early winter and then again in the spring when they are getting ready to nest to keep them away.

Any input would be great. I got lucky and instead of tearing my extra boat cover apart for nesting material, she only tore apart the box that my spare prop was in.

etduc
04-20-2011, 01:17 PM
About 4 years ago or so when I went to the lake for the beginning of the season I found a racoon had made a nest out of my good soft-sided cooler and made a mess of my shed. I was told that moth-balls would keep the racoon out of my shed and that has worked for the last 4 winters.

This last weekend I went up to the lake and found another racoon starting a nest in my shed and got it out before it had its babies. I had moth-balls in my shed but it didn't seem to make a difference as the racoon had them spread out all over the place.

In talking with a couple of people and a little research on the web, I have one idea in mind to prevent this next year but wanted to run this past everyone here and see what has worked for them.

I guess coyote urine is the way to go? In the early spring put it around the campground to keep the racoons away since the coyote is their biggest predator. I'm thinking do this in the early winter and then again in the spring when they are getting ready to nest to keep them away.

Any input would be great. I got lucky and instead of tearing my extra boat cover apart for nesting material, she only tore apart the box that my spare prop was in.

Make sure, it's not female coyote urine. Might create a bigger problem.

Organic gardeners, have been using large preditor urine for years, to fend off small varment pest. Just have the boys, pee on the shed! (You can extend the radius of protection, by adding ammonia to the mix.)

captain planet
04-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Make sure, it's not female coyote urine. Might create a bigger problem.

Organic gardeners, have been using large preditor urine for years, to fend off small varment pest. Just have the boys, pee on the shed! (You can extend the radius of protection, by adding ammonia to the mix.)

I would assume that if it is a commercial product...it would be from just the boys.....I appreciate the advice.

aaron.
04-20-2011, 01:47 PM
shotgun? :D

captain planet
04-20-2011, 01:51 PM
shotgun? :D

Not unless I want to blow a hole in my shed.......and clean up a mess. :rolleyes:

DemolitionMan
04-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Trap and relocate.

captain planet
04-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Trap and relocate.

This is an option, however getting up to the lake in the early spring is not a common occurance. Keeping them out/away in the first place is the goal.

Double D
04-20-2011, 02:10 PM

Don't get me started on Raccoons!!! I only deal with them when I camp there and I have no advice related to your shed :mad:(sorry), I just had to say I hate the Suckers!! I do like the Shotgun Option!! :rolleyes:

etduc
04-20-2011, 02:13 PM
I always wondered, how they can get the male coyotes, to pee in such a small bottle. 8p

You might want to check with the game warden, before transporting. (Depends were you live.) Someone could have dropped the varment, at your doorstep.

Jim Baker "America's Gardner" is were, I got the info. Lots of good lawn/garden info.

captain planet
04-20-2011, 02:18 PM
I always wondered, how they can get the male coyotes, to pee in such a small bottle. 8p

You might want to check with the game warden, before transporting. (Depends were you live.) Someone could have dropped the varment, at your doorstep.

Jim Baker "America's Gardner" is were, I got the info. Lots of good lawn/garden info.

They probably need help.....now THERE is a career for ya!

How about we take some of those guys wakesurfing with nobody in the boat from that other thread and make them collect coyote urine for a year and see how many surf alone again! :rolleyes:

east tx skier
04-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Delicious bowl of antifreeze?

CantRepeat
04-20-2011, 03:55 PM
How old were the moth balls? Do they go bad?

captain planet
04-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Delicious bowl of antifreeze?

I was told 'fly bait' and coke would do the trick.....but not only do I run the risk of somebodys dog getting into it, if it dies in the wrong spot and I don't get there for a couple weeks over the winter/early spring I could have one nasty mess on my hands. :noface: I need one of those emotocons where the little smiley face is puking to really make this complete.

captain planet
04-20-2011, 05:18 PM
How old were the moth balls? Do they go bad?

They are a couple years old, but still potent. I have so many in my shed, when you open the door, that is the first thing you smell.

CantRepeat
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
They are a couple years old, but still potent. I have so many in my shed, when you open the door, that is the first thing you smell.

Is it the smell that keeps the pest out, or doe they eat them and get sick? Don't baited traps work? Gotta be some local people that own some 22s that want a winter job.

east tx skier
04-20-2011, 05:44 PM
I was told 'fly bait' and coke would do the trick.....but not only do I run the risk of somebodys dog getting into it, if it dies in the wrong spot and I don't get there for a couple weeks over the winter/early spring I could have one nasty mess on my hands. :noface: I need one of those emotocons where the little smiley face is puking to really make this complete.

Yeah, I was kidding.

Or was I. :rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
04-20-2011, 06:05 PM

I want a pic of you holding the cup for the coyote.:D

TX.X-30 fan
04-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Thread-jack, how do I get this armadillo that is rooting up my yard?? He/she does it very late at night too.

etduc
04-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Thread-jack, how do I get this armadillo that is rooting up my yard?? He/she does it very late at night too.

Kill their food source. (Grug worms, insects,etc. )

Lawn wash
Get:
20 gal hose-end sprayer
1 cup of liquid dish soap (use Citrus type, suppose to help with misquitos.)
2 cans of BEER! (I prefer Lone Star)
pour one cup of dish soap and one can of beer into hose-end sprayer
spay on yard (the solution is actually good for your yard) will cover between1-1500sqft.

Here's what happens, the bugs/grubs/etc, while they are eating your lawn, are also ingesting the soap. The soap, gives them the runs. The beer, gives them the munchies. So they actually, CRAP themselves to death. While they are doing that, they're fertilizing your yard/garden.

The other beer is for you, so you can live with youself, for all the carnage going on in your yard. :D

Short-term--

pepper corns and Louisanna style hot sauce, scattered/sprayed in the area of the yard, they'll leave to hunt other areas. They'll eventually come back, that's why you have to do the lawn wash.

This came from Jim Baker "America's Gardener" 1st book, he's sometimes on PBS. I paraphased a little bit, but it does work.

captain planet
04-20-2011, 10:47 PM

Lawn wash
Get:
20 gal hose-end sprayer
spay on yard (the solution is actually good for your yard) will cover between1-1500sqft.

Here's what happens, the bugs/grubs/etc, while they are eating your lawn, are also ingesting the soap. The soap, gives them the runs. The beer, gives them the munchies. So they actually, CRAP themselves to death. While they are doing that, they're fertilizing your yard/garden.

The other beer is for you, so you can live with youself, for all the carnage going on in your yard. :D

Short-term--

pepper corns and Louisanna style hot sauce, scattered/sprayed in the area of the yard, they'll leave to hunt other areas. They'll eventually come back, that's why you have to do the lawn wash.

This came from Jim Baker "America's Gardener" 1st book, he's sometimes on PBS. I paraphased a little bit, but it does work.

That right there........is creativity at it's best! Bravo for that post.

trickskier
04-21-2011, 09:45 AM
I suggest placing a picture of yourself on the shed door --- That should keep the varments away --- :D;)8p

J NORRIS
04-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Golden Malrin is the name of the fly bait used to deter racoons.
We use this to keep coons away from our deer feed pens.

etduc
04-21-2011, 10:48 AM
I wish we just had raccoon problem, in Texas.

GT500 MC
04-21-2011, 10:51 AM
I wish we just had raccoon problem, in Texas.

Come on--I know everything's bigger in TX, but that's ridiculous. There's enough bacon there for a family of five for a year.

J NORRIS
04-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Not much love for coons or hogs here.

captain planet
04-21-2011, 11:25 AM
I suggest placing a picture of yourself on the shed door --- That should keep the varments away --- :D;)8p

Maybe when I get my hands on your gaytors hat I'll use that as a deterrent. ;)

pmkkdx
04-21-2011, 11:31 AM
As for coons, I've always used a live trap baited with corn, but as you stated, going long periods of time without being able to check them can cause quite a mess ... but using poison can too! At least with the trap, the mess is contained (for the most part) to the trap area.

I've caught dozens of armadillos in live traps baited with peanut butter ... then transport elsewhere or a 22 ... tastes like chicken :rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
04-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Not much love for coons or hogs here.

Quit feeding them.:confused::rolleyes:

J NORRIS
04-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Don't want my deer herd to go hungry.:D
Those are just the unwanted dinner guests. When I see them, they get to take a dirt nap.;)
This is the wrong site to show harvested animal pics.:o

thatsmrmastercraft
04-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Don't want my deer herd to go hungry.:D
Those are just the unwanted dinner guests. When I see them, they get to take a dirt nap.;)
This is the wrong site to show harvested animal pics.:o

I'm big into deer hunting, but I do it in the wild.............not at the zoo.:confused:

trickskier
04-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Maybe when I get my hands on your gaytors hat I'll use that as a deterrent. ;)

That hat is going to "BURN" your hands!!!

J NORRIS
04-21-2011, 02:25 PM
When you hunt at the zoo...........you don't go hungry.;)

trickskier
04-21-2011, 04:15 PM
When you hunt at the zoo...........you don't go hungry.;)

Neither do the animals --- :rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
04-22-2011, 09:21 AM

Lawn wash
Get:
20 gal hose-end sprayer

Short-term--

That is great thank you Sir. I assume the quantity of beer can be adjusted.