PDA

View Full Version : KGB ballast problem!

shmeeman123
04-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Sup guys? I have an '01 x-star with the KGB ballast system with the hard tanks. I am having problems filling my starboard side tank. It almost seems like the pump will not prime itself. Ive already changed the impellor with no luck. Im thinking there is a leak somewhere infront of the pump. Has anyone ever had a problem with the ballast shutoff valves???

wakescene
04-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Maybe you have something blocking the hoses? Try blowing through the hoses, if there's resistenance, it's blocked.

Have you tried opening the pump while the boat is in the water? Water should flow out of the pump pretty quick as the line is under the water line. insert the pump and try again.

Many times my pumps get a air bubble and won't prime. driving backwards usually helps. I also hit the empty for a few secs then fill and that usually makes it work.

jason@wakemakers.com
04-20-2011, 07:49 PM
A 2001 MY X-Star doesn't have reversible pumps from the factory, so there's no way you could have changed the impeller. I bring that up because if your pump does indeed have flexible vane impeller pumps (like the Jabsco), that changes the troubleshooting involved, as they are a completely different beast than the aerator pumps that would have been installed in your boat by Mastercraft.

shmeeman123
04-21-2011, 12:04 PM
That is true. There is 6 pumps on the boat. 3 to fill and 3 to empty but there is plastic impellors you can just slide off the shaft of the cartridge change on them. I ended up buying a few cartridges beacuse 2 didnt end up working and I bought an extra for back up. I think it may be leaking somewhere in the shut-off valves but havent gone through and disconnected it all to have a closer look. Not sure what seals are all involved on those shut offs.

jason@wakemakers.com
04-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Gotcha. I just wanted to make sure we're giving you appropriate advice for the type of pump that is installed in the boat.

Aerator pumps are not self-priming, so a leak somewhere in front of the pump would not cause any problems. The easiest way to see if it's a priming issue is to remove the hose where it connects to the tank, and then after turning on the pump suck on the end of the hose enough to draw water into the pump. If you get water coming out of the hose continuously then it is in fact a priming issue and we can work on a solution.