PDA

View Full Version : Putting in a long gravel driveway?

jkski
04-20-2011, 08:05 AM
I am preparing to put in a gravel driveway that will be roughly 1100' in length and need some advice and cost estimates. Based upon others I have spoken to it looks like I am going to spend around $10k to do it, by scraping away the topsoil, putting down a 1-2 base.
So, in doing some research I have seen where people have put down a fabric type material, don't recall the name, directly over the ground then applying base to that and in essence creating a floating drive of sorts. They claim it holds very well and that they have used in in wet and mushy applications.

So, impart some knowledge on me.

Bouyhead
04-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Lots of info on the tractor forums, try this.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/49195-how-do-you-build-gravel.html

jkski
04-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks, that is a great source for a lot of info.

muskingumriverdocks
04-20-2011, 10:49 AM
I would definately use Ty - Par ( i think that's how it's spelled) roll it out and put the stone over top,it is worth the money. We used it 11 years ago and have never had to use more stone.

Ski-me
04-20-2011, 12:21 PM
It depends on the soil that you have if it really merits a geotextile fabric or not. If you have a lot of clay type material, the fabric will really help distribute the load better in wet conditions. Having a good layer of road base will help and bind things together better. If you just lay the base coarse onto a clay type material, the gravel has a tendancy to push into the clay and slowly dissappear....or at least pushed down resulting in mud tire tracks if it's too wet.

If you are in the snow, it's nice to build the road up so that if the wind comes, the snow drifts over the top and into the shoulders of the road. If you have low spots, the snow tends to drift up in that area.

Keep on researching and find out what others have done in your area. May help direct you more.....

captain planet
04-20-2011, 12:30 PM
I am preparing to put in a gravel driveway that will be roughly 1100' in length and need some advice and cost estimates. Based upon others I have spoken to it looks like I am going to spend around $10k to do it, by scraping away the topsoil, putting down a 1-2 base.
So, in doing some research I have seen where people have put down a fabric type material, don't recall the name, directly over the ground then applying base to that and in essence creating a floating drive of sorts. They claim it holds very well and that they have used in in wet and mushy applications.

So, impart some knowledge on me.

At landfills when they gravel a road that will get heavy truck traffic from tanker trucks, they put down a fabric first, then #1 gravel rolled and compacted with a vibrating roller, then whatever top layer you want. IMO the fabric is worth the cost in the long run.

jkski
04-20-2011, 01:08 PM
My soil is heavily clay and the land has always been nothing but horse pastures. So, could I simply put the fabric over the exisiting ground, untouched, and proceed to set my base directly on it, compact and continue.....or....do I need to remove some of the top layer of clay prior to putting the fabric down?
Also, in looking at the fabrics, is it better to go with a woven or non-woven fabric for this application?
Thanks again for the advice.

captain planet
04-20-2011, 01:39 PM
At a landfill they just recently installed a "permanent" gravel road they used a woven fabric. It was installed over very slick clayey soils that were about 5% sand.

DemolitionMan
04-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Also look into recycled concrete. This could save you some money.
http://www.thompsonwrecking.com/concrete.html

jkski
04-20-2011, 03:53 PM
I like the idea of going with recycled concrete and a friend of mine that owns an excavating company had mentioned this however he warned me that I might get a lot of flat tires using this material due to the amount of junk that can be in it.
What is your take on this?

cbryan70
04-20-2011, 04:26 PM
How much of a price difference is it? 4k buys ALOT of tires :-)

captain planet
04-20-2011, 05:14 PM
I like the idea of going with recycled concrete and a friend of mine that owns an excavating company had mentioned this however he warned me that I might get a lot of flat tires using this material due to the amount of junk that can be in it.
What is your take on this?

Oh JK, get off your wallet and keep some spares in the garage. :D

TX.X-30 fan
04-20-2011, 06:03 PM
I thought all the rebar was removed fron the crushed concrete.

DemolitionMan
04-20-2011, 08:32 PM
The machine that we have is a metso and it removes all of the trash and metal.

J NORRIS
04-21-2011, 11:31 AM
JKSKI, I would strip the top three inches to get rid of organic material, and use a geotextile fabric liner. And go with approx. 8" of base material.

jkski
04-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Met with an excavator yesterday evening to get an idea of what I was in for and it looks like the first 230 feet of pasture will need to be cut down about 4-6" to get to a decent clay base, then once beyond that the rest of the proposed drive area has clay at the surface. So, I am getting figures on the recycled material and looking at the possibility of just renting a dozer and cutting the drive in on my own. Fortunately all I have to do is peel off the topsoil and lay it over to the side then come back later and spread it around in one of the fields or carry it back to the house site for use in the yard, etc..
So, anyone want to chime in on the cost of recycled/ton?

KnoxX2
04-21-2011, 01:45 PM
I have been looking at putting gravel in for trailer parking and when I was at the landscape store the other day they had crush slag for 42 a yard. After talking with my neighbor who dose concrete driveways for a living he said this is what they use as a base, because it packs well and tight. Only thing he said you will get a little rust. Just a thought!!!!!

jkski
04-21-2011, 02:03 PM
So, I just talked to 2 diferent aggregate suppliers trying to get quotes on material and when I told them the size of the driveway and that I'd need roughly 400 ton they both responded "HOLY S**T". Kinda thought it was funny but man are they ready to jump on the chance to truck the stuff in and put together attractive pricing!!!
This could be fun!

jkski
04-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Oh JK, get off your wallet and keep some spares in the garage. :D

Between the expected arrival of my son in late May and the cost of gas, I am keeping my wallet closed as much as possible!!! Now, if you would just buy my boat.........

J NORRIS
04-21-2011, 02:39 PM
I can give you some prices of it here in Houston, but your in Ohio.....won't do you anygood.
Plus we have illegals doing a lot of the work down here.
If you need help with areas or quantities, I can help. But it seems like you have already figured out how much material your going to need. Good luck with your project.
Of course we need pics when your finished.

Shooter McKevin
04-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Did the contractor recommend fabric? This website has a little info http://www.geotextile.com/product.aspx?ID=2471. I don't do a ton of this kind of work but the road builders I work with say it is well worth it. The 200ST costs about $0.07 / sq.ft. from wholesale distributors here (plus delivery and install).

Guessing that your driveway would be about 16' wide, and pricing is reasonably similar to here (it should be less there) I'd say $10K is in the ballpark if you are renting and operating the dozer and/or other equipment yourself.

Based on their reaction, it sounds like you might be talking to the wrong type of gravel supplier. To give you an idea, a landscape supply centers 'wholesale' price here would be about $23/ton picked up. At the gravel pit it costs about $9/ton picked up. For a company that does road gravel for a living it would be a small job, but they would probably be happy to haul for your driveway as long as there is good access and lots of room to turn around. It would maybe be 1-3 days hauling depending on how many trucks they put on it. (you probably don't want it to arrive too fast if you are spreading it yourself). Delivery costs will vary greatly depending on how close you are to a gravel pit.

captain planet
04-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Between the expected arrival of my son in late May and the cost of gas, I am keeping my wallet closed as much as possible!!! Now, if you would just buy my boat.........

Your having a baby? I mean, your wife is. You know they know what causes that. :rolleyes:

Congrats man, that is great. Your entire life outlook is about to change. Oh, and let me be the first to officially welcome you to shawshank! At least for about 4 years anyway. 8p Oh, and don't forget the cost of diapers, formula, etc. Ahhhh, you are about to find out why I haven't been able to get out to ski with you for the past 5 years. It's worth it...definately worth it.

jkski
04-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Your having a baby? I mean, your wife is. You know they know what causes that. :rolleyes:

Congrats man, that is great. Your entire life outlook is about to change. Oh, and let me be the first to officially welcome you to shawshank! At least for about 4 years anyway. 8p Oh, and don't forget the cost of diapers, formula, etc. Ahhhh, you are about to find out why I haven't been able to get out to ski with you for the past 5 years. It's worth it...definately worth it.

Thanks CP, we are pretty excited and down to about 5 weeks now! The life jacket is ready, the nursery is ready, so all we need now is the munchkin to arrive.

Quick update on the driveway project:
Got a quote today from 1 supplier of recycled 1's and 2's and about fell off my chair....$18.50/ton delivered. To compare, I had a friend who recently did something similar and paid $15.50/ton delivered for non-recycled.
My guess is the guy that quoted me really did not want the job.

jkski
05-10-2011, 09:16 AM
The project is getting closer, I now have my stone bids in and managed to get limestone for cheaper than what they are selling recycled for in our area, but the trucking costs are the killer. All total, $20.75/delivered ton ($5.50/ton is the delivery fee......fricking fuel costs!)

So, I have to put in 40 feet of culvert pipe(HDPE) and got a price for a 20' stick of 24" at $325. I've quoted a few different places and this seems to be the lowest, what do you guys think?

Shooter McKevin
05-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Metal culvert is usually the cheapest option here. It costs me $438 for 20' of 24" CSP (corrugated steel pipe (galvanized)).

Make sure you leave the ends long enough to cut a taper to match the grade of your ditch. Or even better, check if they have some pre-fab tapered culvert ends for the HDPE.

jkski
05-20-2011, 07:25 AM
The process has started. I clear cut the hillside where the drive will come off the main road and took out the existing pasture fence so the path is now open. Got the road opening permit, 40 ton of crushed limestone and 40' of culvert pipe, now all I need is for it to stop raining long enough for me to put it in. Once it is in I am hoping to find some clay to use as fill in order to elevate the drive to meet the road as otherwise I will have a steep incline and that just won't work.
Granted, the baby has not yet arrived so once that happens the process will likely halt for a while, unless of course my wife lets me put him on a bulldozer with me!!!

jkski
09-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Well, it's been a while but the driveway is taking shape. The culvert pipe went in then the fun of digging 400 yards of fill dirt to make the grade to the road, fortunately we were able to just expand our pond in order to get good clay material for the base. Next was putting up 450' of new pasture fencing which required about 50 new fence posts to be pounded in and that is all done now.
So, if we ever get a few dry days, we can grade the remaining 1,000 feet of driveway to the eventual homesite and put down the base layer of gravel (roughly 400 ton).

jkski
09-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Pics of the progress won't load but I will keep trying.

Shooter McKevin
09-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Let's see some progress picks. Sounds like a great project.

JohnnyB
09-28-2011, 02:14 PM
What area of the country? What type of soil?

You will want a geo-web, then breaker run (softball sized rock) then gravel..

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

jkski
09-28-2011, 03:31 PM
We are in Northeast Ohio and fortunately, the area is all clay with about 6 inches of topsoil to cut off. We looked at putting down geo-web but other than one small low spot that held a little water, everything was nice and solid and the vast majority of the driveway rides along top of hills where, even with the wet weather we have had it has been dry. As soon as we dry out a bit we have 400 ton of limestone 1s and 2s coming in for the base then plan to let it sit until after the actual home construction is done and the heavy trucks are done beating it in.
I will say, it is tuff spending this much on nothing but dirt and stone but the process sure has been fun and who doesn't like playing with heavy equipment!

jkski
03-23-2012, 04:35 AM
Well, after a very wet fall and winter, we finally got a enough dry days put together to finish getting my driveway in. So, they stripped the topsoil on Wednesday and the trucks started rolling in at 8am Thursday morning. All total the driveway is 1400' long, roughly 12' wide and we put down a total of 407 ton of limestone 1's and 2's. I will try to post more pics for for now, you can see where the process all started.

Each truck that dumped took me one step farther away from my mini-tower...so about 3 trucks in, the thought of a tower became a distant memory as it took a total of 24 truck loads to get the job done.

Double D
03-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Well, after a very wet fall and winter, we finally got a enough dry days put together to finish getting my driveway in. So, they stripped the topsoil on Wednesday and the trucks started rolling in at 8am Thursday morning. All total the driveway is 1400' long, roughly 12' wide and we put down a total of 407 ton of limestone 1's and 2's. I will try to post more pics for for now, you can see where the process all started.

Each truck that dumped took me one step farther away from my mini-tower...so about 3 trucks in, the thought of a tower became a distant memory as it took a total of 24 truck loads to get the job done.

WOW, I'm glad I looked at the dates because I started from the beginning of this thread and thought a second child was coming... :D OK, now that I have that figured out, that's a sh&t load of stone. Looks good though. The only problem I see will be clean vehicles and boats. I wouldn't be able to cost justify a blacktop drive either but my sister lives on the end of a long stone drive and the cars always get trashed driving on it. I always take the wifes car when I can. :D

Sorry about the mini-tower dude. I am a direct drive purist but that thing needs a mini-tower... :( Ok, who's going to be the first person to blast me for saying that??

76S&S
03-23-2012, 08:36 AM
I have a 900' gravel drive and the above post about the vehicles is dead on.

jkski
03-24-2012, 07:02 AM
I agree and it is painful to think about the hours of cleaning that will take place for every trip down the drive, it wont be as bad once the 57 wash gets on there but that will be a while. A blacktop drive is not completely out of the question in the future as I have a cousin who owns all of the equipment to get the job done so I'd be looking at material cost and trucking only.......but I think a mini-tower will come before that!!!

JohnnyB
03-24-2012, 08:26 AM
I agree and it is painful to think about the hours of cleaning that will take place for every trip down the drive, it wont be as bad once the 57 wash gets on there but that will be a while. A blacktop drive is not completely out of the question in the future as I have a cousin who owns all of the equipment to get the job done so I'd be looking at material cost and trucking only.......but I think a mini-tower will come before that!!!
Dust on the vehicles, dust in the garage, PITA to plow snow off of it.....I have about 700 feet of gravel that I was positioning to get done in asphalt this summer but with petroleum prices surging upward so bad I will likely wait a year. Too bad I didn't have the $$ on hand last summer.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

jkski
03-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Just curious what 700' of asphalt would cost?
For now, until construction is done, the big stuff will remain and after the heavy trucks roll thru a few times I am sure it will dissappear into the ground.

Double D
03-24-2012, 09:57 AM

Sorry dumb question; 57 Wash???

jkski
03-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Sorry dumb question; 57 Wash???

Never a dumb question.... 57 is just the size of gravel and wash just means it is "washed" or rinsed with water to clean it up a bit. What goes down initially is 1's and 2's and some 3's, so large rocks, then you top dress it with a 57 down the road afte construction is over, so that your drive smooths out a bit.

jkski
03-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Here are the rest of the pics showing the driveway coming in from the road, making the turn thru the tree line and making its way over to the home site, plus a view looking out from where the house will sit.

Let the fun begin!

19_Skier
03-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Here are the rest of the pics showing the driveway coming in from the road, making the turn thru the tree line and making its way over to the home site, plus a view looking out from where the house will sit.

Let the fun begin!

I see you also have a bit more work to do on that pond to fit the ski course in :D:D

jkski
03-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Yeah, its a little tight even for the PS197 w/powerslot and MCX.....good thing I can only normally get thru 1 ball, that way the boat never has to go any farther!!!

OHpage21
03-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Set up a winch.

You could be the first guy i have ever heard of winching through a course...

JLowder
03-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Set up a winch.

You could be the first guy i have ever heard of winching through a course...

You might be onto something here. I know you ski guys will hate this, but I have always wanted to wakeboard the course. Think it would be fun.

19_Skier
03-24-2012, 12:56 PM
You might be onto something here. I know you ski guys will hate this, but I have always wanted to wakeboard the course. Think it would be fun.

I've seen people do it on their trick boards - looks like fun and wouldn't mind it on our course as long as it wasn't behind a wakeboard boat - goodbye boat guides!

jkski
03-25-2012, 08:36 AM
I could always make the pond larger and put up a cable system but then I'd have to learn to like wakeboarding.......I think I will stick with chasing bouys and my trusty bare feet!

medicmoose
03-25-2012, 08:49 AM
One thing you can watch for, if you have any airports that have asphault runways and are doing a re-pave job....see if you can pick up any of the reclaimed material that they scrape up. It's great for laying down on a driveway since it stays in place better than gravel.

Just an idea.

pmkkdx
03-26-2012, 08:31 AM
yep, once a few runs of the heavier traffic the 1's-3's should settle in. great idea to not put down the top smaller gravel until the majority of the larger trucks get the base packed down. Looks to be a nice piece of property!

jkski
03-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks, we are really excited about the project....the downside is that it will limit some of my water time this year but it will all be worth it in the end.

As for the grindings, that is a great idea and I actually have a friend that owns a company that does just that, so I may have him start to stockpile the material for me whenever they are in my area, sure would be a nice top layer eventually.

plunk77
03-26-2012, 02:15 PM
wow i love the property. (i realize this has nothing to do with the driveway haha). Once i graduate I want a place like that. lot's of space. I didn't know there were places like that in Akron...

jkski
03-27-2012, 06:50 AM
wow i love the property. (i realize this has nothing to do with the driveway haha). Once i graduate I want a place like that. lot's of space. I didn't know there were places like that in Akron...

A more accurate description would be Richfield (10 min north of Akron)....Akron is just easier when telling people where you are from.
There is a lot of space out my way, just bring your checkbook!