PDA

View Full Version : Advice for buying away from home

PDXSurfer
04-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Hey all. I've been reading and dreaming for a long time, and I think it's time to pull the trigger on my own boat. I have my eye on a 2007 X2 (a little too early for details, don't want to jinx it :D) that is a full day's drive away from home, and am heading down soon to look in person and then pull the trigger.

So here's the question: what pre-purchase due diligence would you recommend? I'll obviously examine for all the usual areas of wear and tear, do a water test to check all components, but wonder what else you'd recommend or what potential trouble areas you'd watch out for?

brucemac
04-19-2011, 05:04 PM
few things that come to mind
ask for service records
inspect the bottom closely and look for hull blistors
inspect the area around the rubrail closely
look for cracks or spider cracks around the tower mounts and cleats
check tower welds
make sure all ballast fills and drains
look for leaks in the engine compartment
inspect the tranny fluid, and oil
test perfect pass
inspect the back of the wheels and look for oil leaks, brake lines too
rub your finger around the site glass on the oil bath hubs to make sure they're dry
look for bulges or tire deformities
look for water in the bilge after water test

CantRepeat
04-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Before even driving down there you could, ask the current owner if they are willing to take the boat in and have it inspected at your cost. Find either a local MC dealer or a reputable dealer and have them do an inspection that includes compression and what not.

When I bought my 06 it was in Memphis and I was in lower Alabama. Before I went up and I paid the $238.00 to have the boat inspected by the local MC dealer.

bobx1
04-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Like CantRepeat said:

Marine Survey

east tx skier
04-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Definitely do the marine survey. If possible, get an independent surveyor to do it. In all likelihood, the owner knows the guys at the local dealership. This may not be possible, but it is always better to have someone that does not "know the boat."

If you're doing it yourself, give this a read.

What to look for when buying a used ski boat (www.tylerskiclub.com/usedboat.html).

I just reviewed it the other day when going along to inspect a ski boat with my wife's cousin who is in the market. It came in very handy and enabled us to easily pick up on some trouble spots.

Long test drives are a must. You are literally trying to make the boat fail (or at least show its hand). Do not idle around the no wake zone for 5 minutes and call it good.

PDXSurfer
04-19-2011, 07:39 PM
This is great, thank you. I did call the local MC and dealer and they said they weren't willing to perform an inspection, unfortunately. I look online at accredited marine surveyors, and didn't see any close by. Plus, in my experience they're not too expert in v-drive tow boats (more focused on cabin cruisers etc.). With that said, it's very sound advice and I've always been a huge advocate of the professional pre-purchase inspection.

CantRepeat
04-19-2011, 07:43 PM
This is great, thank you. I did call the local MC and dealer and they said they weren't willing to perform an inspection, unfortunately. I look online at accredited marine surveyors, and didn't see any close by. Plus, in my experience they're not too expert in v-drive tow boats (more focused on cabin cruisers etc.). With that said, it's very sound advice and I've always been a huge advocate of the professional pre-purchase inspection.

Who is the MC dealer in you area? That is absurd to say they will not inspect a boat at their hourly labor rate.

97Sammy
04-19-2011, 08:47 PM
I asked the local Sacramento dealer to look at the one I'm trying to buy. I got the same anwser. Not willing to get involved. Business must be better there than it is here in Michigan.

CantRepeat
04-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Really. if you are paying for a boat inspection by the hourly labor rate they said no?

2RLAKE
04-19-2011, 09:45 PM
the other thing a few people have done here is ask fellow members to go look at the boat for them ... our new boat might be in the same city as me and I'd be happy to go ski it for you, no I mean go look at for you

CantRepeat
04-19-2011, 10:27 PM
the other thing a few people have done here is ask fellow members to go look at the boat for them ... our new boat might be in the same city as me and I'd be happy to go ski it for you, no I mean go look at for you\

Where is the like button on this? Oh wait, I don't do social networks!

gatorguy
04-20-2011, 12:11 AM
IMO you need to be willing to take the drive to see the boat spent the time and money to check it out, and be willing to let it all go if everything is not exactly how you want it. Don't feel obligated just because you've invested a little time and money into the trip. If the boat isn't what you want and the seller won't make it right by dropping the price enough, walk away.

PDXSurfer
04-20-2011, 02:10 PM
So I agree with everyone that having a professional check the boat out prior to picking it up is a great idea. The boat is in the Sacramento area, and as previously noted Nor Cal Mastercraft refuses to provide any help or direction. Does anyone know of a reputable shop or surveyor in the area who might be able to help out?

bobx1
04-20-2011, 02:48 PM
http://www.marinesurvey.org/ca.html

While I agree that you would prefer someone with knowledge of ballast tanks, ballast gauges, etc. most of the certified marine surveyors know inboards, transmissions, gel coat, stress cracks, leaks, etc. like the back of their hand.

bturner2
04-20-2011, 08:32 PM
I was buying mine from a dealer in TN. They sent me tons of pictures and I also did a history check on it. Sort of like Car Fax. I used this site to at least look for some of the really bad stuff.....

http://www.boathistoryreport.com/

Past that all I really did was a very thorough inspection when I went down to go over the boat. That being said I'd already had ride time in the same model boat I was buying and after all the research I did knew all the options and things to look for. That and when I bought the boat it was only two seasons old. Now that the boat would have 4 seasons on it I might not be as willing to take it without a good test drive.

broncotw
04-20-2011, 10:44 PM
I have purchased three (3) MasterCrafts all from out of state! In each case, I had the sellers take the boats to their nearest MasterCraft dealerships and had the boats thoroughly inspected including compression check (I paid for these services).... In one instance, the inspection resulted in a couple of issues in which the seller agreed to pay for.....

Then, I used this forum to find members close to where the boats were being sold and had those members go and put their eyes on it (I compensated those members for their time and fuel).... In each instance, I was satisfied with the inspections and members reports....

These methods have worked successfully for me!!!

Hope this helps!

Keep us posted if ya pull the trigger!!!

TallRedRider
04-21-2011, 12:12 AM
I have seen 2 threads on another boating website lately (ghast!) where the boat was not transported safely. Another cost of finding that perfect boat across the country. Make sure the boat is transported the way you want it to be. One of those experiences (the most expensive repair) was arranged by the dealer, so not all dealers know what to do to transport boats.

Xstreamws
04-21-2011, 01:28 AM
PDX Surfer,

Did you call Portland Ski Boat Center? If so who did you talk to? I know everyone of them and I too am suprised that they said NO.... Let me know I can make a call.......

You can PM me!

PDXSurfer
04-21-2011, 03:02 AM
@Xstream - I'm in PDX, but the boat is in SAC. Nor Cal Mastercraft refused to help or even point me in the right direction.

@TallRed - That's great info. I am planning to head down and test the boat myself and then bring it home, so hopefully I'll get it back safe. I may check in with this group for tips on trailering the 500 miles home and getting it all back in one piece!

@Bronco - Good to hear about some success stories. I wish the folks at Nor Cal would take my money to do the mechanical work, but apparently business is just too good?

With all that said, I've got a call into the marine surveyor and will check out the boat history report as well. Thanks all.

atlfootr
05-03-2011, 10:05 AM
http://imagec14.247realmedia.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/WorldPub/WSK_House_App_ROS_B-R2-R3/WSKApp_728x90.jpg/1299856842 (http://oasc03049.247realmedia.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.waterskimag.com/how-to/2003/04/22/barefooting-411/L26/277917709/Bottom/WorldPub/WSK_House_App_ROS_B-R2-R3/WSKApp_728x90.jpg/595050634c45322f2b5a55414458716a?x)