PDA

View Full Version : To all the Fram haters

ahhudgins
04-18-2011, 09:52 PM
After dodging the tornados this weekend in Charlotte, we had a pretty nice time at the drag strip. Neither Bob Vandergriff nor Tony Schumacher made it to the final rounds. As you can see, Bobís crew uses a Fram filter on their 8,000 HP, $50K engine. Tony does not. Bobís engine did not fly into a hundred different pieces going down the track. Tonyís engine did. Therefore I can come to only one logical conclusion: Tonyís engine explosion was due to the lack of a Fram oil filter! OK, let the bashing begin!

Seriously, as several of us have said before, every guy needs to see the Top Fuel cars at least once in their life. My wife and I have been to Charlotte 3 times and we really enjoy it, but Iím ready to get my boat in the water this weekend.
Let me see how many of these pictures I can get posted.

CantRepeat
04-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Well If I changed my oil ever 1/4 mile I don't think it would matter what filter I used.

ahhudgins
04-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Still trying to get these uploaded. The first picture did fine, upload fails on the rest.:mad:

ahhudgins
04-18-2011, 10:08 PM
My wife didn't understand the term "a blown engine". All she knew was they were broke when they didn't start.

ahhudgins
04-18-2011, 10:15 PM
They run 4 at a time in Charlotte but they never did a burnout at the exact same time.

tommcat
04-18-2011, 10:18 PM
that must be amazing, and so loud it's unreal, to see 4 top fuel cars run at once.

ahhudgins
04-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Nice toys.

DooSPX
04-18-2011, 10:22 PM
I have used every oil filter there is on Engines I have built. To add to this thread, I built a 383 LS1, cnc ported trickflows from AI, custom Comp LSK lobe cam, FAST 102 and a 250 shot on a jacobs progressive controller and ran a fram oil filter for 13 passes w/ 1.2 60' on the rear tires and then a WIX/K&N filter for 13 passes, I then cut both open and found the paper pleats, thickness and rows looked the same. Both appeared to have the same contaminants trapped as well. I did this test twice and have not had an issue or noticed any difference.

tommcat
04-18-2011, 10:27 PM
the reason i wont use fram filters is that i have had a number of them explode on engines running high oil pressure.

i really like the royal purple filters

ahhudgins
04-18-2011, 10:31 PM
If you have young kids I would definitely take them along. Take earplugs and prepare them for the sound and the concussion, it is very scary at first. All of the drivers go out of their way to sign autographs and mingle with the kids. When the races are over they took down the ropes around the pits (most of the drivers) and they let the kids sit in the cars and the adults talk to the pit crews and drool over the engines and the tools.

tommcat
04-18-2011, 10:38 PM
If you have young kids I would definitely take them along. Take earplugs and prepare them for the sound and the concussion, it is very scary at first. All of the drivers go out of their way to sign autographs and mingle with the kids. When the races are in over they took down the ropes around the pits (most of the drivers) and they let the kids sit in the cars and the adults talk to the pit crews and drool over the engines and the tools.
NHRA has the best 'athlete' to fan interaction in all of sports in my opinion.

ahhudgins
04-18-2011, 10:41 PM
the reason i wont use fram filters is that i have had a number of them explode on engines running high oil pressure.

I observed a wide range of filters on the Top Fuel cars, I just thought it was funny to see the Fram filters as much as everyone has talked bad about them. I was told that the oil pumps on these cars are belt driven and I could see that the oil feed lines were at least 1" ID. I'm sure at the RPMs that they are running they are under a lot of pressure. Schumacher's engine started coming apart at 3/4 track and he kept on the throttle. When it comes down to winning the big bucks you can't wuss out and get off the gas!

tommcat
04-18-2011, 10:47 PM
i doubt they are using the same filter that you and i can pick up at napa

DooSPX
04-18-2011, 10:49 PM

Really, I have ran a cammed LS to 7200 with 75 psi and never had one fail... interesting

I did see a K&N come apart once on a buddies car... but it went out along with the pan, headers and the crank after a hard set down after a nasty wheel stand. :D

I do agree though, I'm sure its not your regular Fram... but still....

ahhudgins
04-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Believe me, I tried to zoom in and get a part number.:D

tommcat
04-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Really, I have ran a cammed LS to 7200 with 75 psi and never had one fail... interesting

I did see a K&N come apart once on a buddies car... but it went out along with the pan, headers and the crank after a hard set down after a nasty wheel stand. :D

I do agree though, I'm sure its not your regular Fram... but still....
most of them were mustangs. they just popped from pressure, no contact with the ground or anything like that.

ahhudgins
04-18-2011, 10:58 PM
NHRA has the best 'athlete' to fan interaction in all of sports in my opinion.

My "kids" are 18 and 22 and have no interest in going. My wife and I get a kick out of watching the young kids running through the pits carrying busted pistons, broken blower belts, and rolling the rear slicks back to their parents.
My wife has the hots for Tony Schumacher so that's why she always wants to go. After his engine blew, Tony was no where to be found. When I snuck behind the trailer to get a picture of his engine, he was sitting in a chair smoking a cigar. He was pissed. After about 15 minutes of unwinding he came out all smiles and started hanging out with the kids. I know it was hard to do and I have a lot of respect for him.

tommcat
04-18-2011, 11:00 PM
My "kids" are 18 and 22 and have no interest in going. My wife and I get a kick out of watching the young kids running through the pits carrying busted pistons, broken blower belts, and rolling the rear slicks back to their parents.if it was a baseball player he'd ignore the kids and charge for his autgraph on the broken pistons

DooSPX
04-18-2011, 11:02 PM
if it was a baseball player he'd ignore the kids and charge for his autgraph on the broken pistons

So true!!!

oldairboater
04-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Wix for me. No proof of which is the better of the filters.

Hoosier Bob
04-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Wait a minute. You are supposed to change the oil filter?:confused:

trickskier
04-19-2011, 05:48 PM

Not if you live in Indiana --- 8p

flipper
04-19-2011, 06:01 PM
There is nothing like top fuel dragsters in person. TV can't do them justice

flipper
04-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Only if you reuse your oil.

ahhudgins
04-19-2011, 06:23 PM
There is nothing like top fuel dragsters in person. TV can't do them justice

So true. I just liked to hear them idle on TV and the speed was impressive. The first time we went I thought it wasn't that loud when they did the burnouts. When they turn both fuel pumps on and take off at the light it caught me completely off guard. The sound and the vibration was intense. I know most guys are NASCAR fans, but the top fuel drivers are all over the track at 300+ MPH. Those drivers have some huge b@lls!!!!

tommcat
04-19-2011, 07:20 PM
I know most guys are NASCAR fans, but the top fuel drivers are all over the track at 300+ MPH. Those drivers have some huge b@lls!!!!i hate nascar

Hoosier Bob
04-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Good to hear. Truly appalling to see such use of an oil filter. Should have known better! Thanks for the pics of the stripper down motor as well! Thank you all for steering me down the right path! Appalling I say!:DOnly if you reuse your oil.

flipper
04-19-2011, 07:36 PM
I guess what is appealing to some is appalling to others

03 35th Anniversary
04-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Did somebody say stripper pics???

Hoosier Bob
04-19-2011, 08:30 PM
I meant no harm. Mispelled Stripped! Funny how stripped is so close to stripper! Can you have a stripped stripper stripping?:confused: Sounds like a good childrens book.Did somebody say stripper pics???

1redTA
04-19-2011, 10:03 PM
seen a couple of fram's explode with high pressure oil pumps. Personally, from my rides, one on a RX-7 the other on my old TA ( would cold idle at 60psi it over 80 with some throttle )

east tx skier
04-19-2011, 11:09 PM
I meant no harm. Mispelled Stripped! Funny how stripped is so close to stripper! Can you have a stripped stripper stripping?:confused: Sounds like a good childrens book.

Are you saying that Fram oil filters are ugly, overpriced, and don't do the things for your boat that they are advertised to do? Sounds like using these filters is pretty pathetic.

Hoosier Bob
04-19-2011, 11:19 PM
I use them, I just don't tell anyone about it! I also have had a couple explode on me! Nearly ruined a pair of my jeans!:DAre you saying that Fram oil filters are ugly, overpriced, and don't do the things for your boat that they are advertised to do? Sounds like using these filters is pretty pathetic.

east tx skier
04-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Admit nothing!

Bouyhead
04-20-2011, 09:39 AM
I meant no harm. Mispelled Stripped! Funny how stripped is so close to stripper! Can you have a stripped stripper stripping?:confused: Sounds like a good childrens book.

Or a bad idea for a thread....:D

Hoosier Bob
04-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Turns out you are correct!;)[/FONT]

Or a bad idea for a thread....:D

flipper
04-20-2011, 11:36 AM
I use them, I just don't tell anyone about it! I also have had a couple explode on me! Nearly ruined a pair of my jeans!:D
That's just flat out appalling.