PDA

View Full Version : 2 spare tires?

djkslc
04-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Does anyone carry 2 spare tires? I have a buddy that has an 04 x-star that has two spare trailer tires. The one tire is on the normal spot and the second one is held on by an after market tire holder. I used to make fun of him for being so worried, but we went to Lake Powell last week and we ended up needing both spares. Without that second spare we would have been SOL in the middle of the desert. Who's making fun of who now.

CantRepeat
04-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Does anyone carry 2 spare tires? I have a buddy that has an 04 x-star that has two spare trailer tires. The one tire is on the normal spot and the second one is held on by an after market tire holder. I used to make fun of him for being so worried, but we went to Lake Powell last week and we ended up needing both spares. Without that second spare we would have been SOL in the middle of the desert. Who's making fun of who now.

I could see having a second spare for longer trips, for sure through the desert areas. Around town I'm not really worried about it. But towing for a few hundered miles I'd like to have a two of them. I would more then likely just toss the second in the back of the Suburban.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Sounds like a really good idea. Does that mean I would need four for my tandem:confused:

CantRepeat
04-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Sounds like a really good idea. Does that mean I would need four for my tandem:confused:

Given your line of work would that be an issue? ;)

Thrall
04-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Given your line of work would that be an issue? ;)

Hahaha!

If I was running Godyear Marathons of any vintage I'd carry 2 spares, especially on heavier boats. 4 yr old Marathons, lost 3 of them between 2 different trailers in the span of 2 weeks! With new tires now, I only carry 1 spare, but yes if I was traveling x-country and since I have 2 spares I'd take them both.

oumiller28
05-23-2011, 08:02 PM
I have an 07 X-Star... it came with the Good Year Marathons. I had my first blow out coming back from Tahoe last summer and just had my second blow out last Friday. I was thinking about replacing all of them but I am not sure with what? Marathons? Carlisle? Maxxis? My boat is always trailered and sits in an enclosed RV storage. So I am thinking the blow outs are not from UV degradation maybe just age??? The boat sat from Dec 13 to April 8th (Basic winter wait). Sould these tires last longer? Should I add a spare too?

CantRepeat
05-23-2011, 08:25 PM
I have an 07 X-Star... it came with the Good Year Marathons. I had my first blow out coming back from Tahoe last summer and just had my second blow out last Friday. I was thinking about replacing all of them but I am not sure with what? Marathons? Carlisle? Maxxis? My boat is always trailered and sits in an enclosed RV storage. So I am thinking the blow outs are not from UV degradation maybe just age??? The boat sat from Dec 13 to April 8th (Basic winter wait). Sould these tires last longer? Should I add a spare too?

I have Carlisle on mine now.

Thrall
05-23-2011, 10:06 PM

Partly age, partly Marathons SUCK!
My trailer never sat outside either and after 4 years of no flats/delamination and probably 10,000mi on them, they fell apart. I got a tire shop to warranty 5 of my 4yr old Marathons (only because I brought them alot of business, tires were well out of warranty) and he replaced them with some no name tire, can't remember but they've been good for going on 2 years now.
If I was buying tires, I'd get Kumho 857's. They are the only D-load rated 14" trailer tire I've found. 65psi, 3500? lb capacity and only marginally more $ than the rest of the tires out there. I've had a pair of the Kumhos on my snowmobile trailer for about 2 years now and they're good so far and those tires get off-roaded over rocks and trails every time I take teh sleds out.
The main things tht eat up trailer tires I've found is not keeping them fully inflated (GY actually reccomeds overfilling the Marathons by 10 psi IIRC) and keeping the tandem torsion axle trailers perfectly level while being towed. The torsion axles don't compensate like teh leaf spring axles with the center pivot. If the nose is low, the fronts are taking more weight, nose high, rears are taking more load.
I'd be good with one spare with the Kumhos for sure, since they are overkill. If I was rolling the desert in the 110 deg summer with an X45 on 14" tandem wheels, I'd probably take 2 spares!

gatorguy
05-23-2011, 11:47 PM
I need new trailer tires before I drive to Powell this summer. I have 2 good tires on the passanger side, a crappy spare, one real crappy tire on the drivers side, and an ok tire on the drivers side. My plan was to put one of the good tires on the rear axle on each side put new tires on the front axle. I don't have any logic or reason for choosing front vs rear axle for the new tires other than that is the braking axle. I was going to use the somewhat good tire as my new spare.

Any coments on using the old tires? Also what should I look for in new tires? I'm contemplating getting a second spare. 900 miles one way is a long way to pull through the desert.

ctjahn
05-24-2011, 06:20 AM
I carry two...spares. (For the cost it is worth it) - HOWEVER.... Trailer is still on the OEM Whitewalls from 1978 (Not smart).

I have 4 new wheels that are still at the powder coater and was hoping to get four new tires before the trip up north (June) but looks like that isnt going to happen (Delay at the PC)

Even with the new wheels and tires, I will be carrying two spares. I carry two spares for the Truck and two spares for the racecar trailer too. (Just dont want to be stranded in chicago rushhour on the highway with no spare left)

The comment made to me last weekend was "your a belt and suspenders kinda guy eh?" - I guess so...

cj

BTW: I will have two OEM chrome wheels (rough) and two white spares (New) with rubber for sale shortly! :)

Thrall
05-24-2011, 11:15 AM
I need new trailer tires before I drive to Powell this summer. I have 2 good tires on the passanger side, a crappy spare, one real crappy tire on the drivers side, and an ok tire on the drivers side. My plan was to put one of the good tires on the rear axle on each side put new tires on the front axle. I don't have any logic or reason for choosing front vs rear axle for the new tires other than that is the braking axle. I was going to use the somewhat good tire as my new spare.

Any coments on using the old tires? Also what should I look for in new tires? I'm contemplating getting a second spare. 900 miles one way is a long way to pull through the desert.

I'd have new rubber under the trailer if it was me. Seems like the magic lifespan of trailer tires is 4-5 years from the born on date.
SOunds like you really only have 2 good tires anyway and need a good spare, so use teh good ones as spare(s) and spring for 4 tires. It's $400 to pretty much ensure you won't be changing a tire on the way to Powell.