PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) X-45 with questions (and pictures!)...

x-swagger
04-18-2011, 05:32 PM
So, my X-45 arrived a couple weeks ago and I was finally able to take it to the lake, and I LOVE IT!!! Here's a picture on the street and one on the water. Surf wake is amazing, need to work a little with the wakeboard wake but it too was awesome!65817

Then, a couple issues =(. The shrink wrap they put on it must've not been secured, and I got some wind scuffing (not the best picture, but you can see it there). Any ideas on how to wax and buff that stuff out? Not super deep scratches at all, but looks awful on the black gel coat.

Also, I found this interesting. Look at how the rudder lines up with the back of the prop. I sat directly behind both to take that pic, should they be offset like that?? (seemed to run great on the water, hopefully it's ok). I looked at everything and the driveshaft and spline look straight as can be.

kingwoodlee
04-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Congrats on the new ride! It's also great that you included pictures or else you'll be promptly ridiculed!! Anyway, about the offset in the prop shaft. It is offset so that you can pull if out without having to remove the rudder. It will slide right past the rudder if necessary saving you some labor (very little) in case you bend it and have to have it straightened. Have fun on the water, but keep an eye out for snipers!

craig3972
04-18-2011, 05:39 PM
i think the drive shaft is offset from the rudder so you can pull it out in case it needs servicing.
Makita makes a great variable speed polisher that will take the marks out, but black is the hardest to keep looking great.

MIskier
04-18-2011, 05:40 PM
1) For the scuffing on the gel it may be adhesive residue so before buffing take some acetone and see if it wipes off, if that does not work than a good compounding with a quality rubbing compound and a buffing machine should take it out.

2) The rudder is supposed to be offset, this helps to reduce the tendancy for the boat to be "walked" by the prop turning.

sand2snow22
04-18-2011, 05:40 PM
New prop? Really low in the water, lots of ballast? Where did you get it? Congrats!

x-swagger
04-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the responses!!! I assumed it was supposed to be like that, just didn't know why...

Sand, yup new prop! It came with a 14.5 x 22 OJ, so I put a 14.75x15.5 on there, and holy crap does it pull hard! (Has the L-18 8.1L). May even be too much prop, I'm thinking of trying the other one to see how it runs. And that's while we were filling up the sacs to surf, so yeah it had about 2000lbs already filled at that point.

Acetone huh? I guess I'll give it a shot, I would love if those marks just came right off, they're driving me nuts...

sand2snow22
04-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Yes, acetone works wonders. You will know if it will work or not. Good at removing stuff off of the gel and excellent at removing white marks off of a black rub rail. I can't tell, yours might be stainless?

x-swagger
04-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Yessir, the rub rail is stainless.

Since everyone enjoys the pictures so much, here are a couple more!65821

sand2snow22
04-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Keep them coming! Water in the 40's here :( What boat did you used to have and where did you get this one?

x-swagger
04-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Old boat was an '04 X-Star. Sold it to my friend here in NM last fall. This one I found in Traverse City, MI. Was looking for an '07 with an L-18 for quite some time before I finally found my dream boat =)

TallRedRider
04-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the responses!!! I assumed it was supposed to be like that, just didn't know why...

Sand, yup new prop! It came with a 14.5 x 22 OJ, so I put a 14.75x15.5 on there, and holy crap does it pull hard! (Has the L-18 8.1L). May even be too much prop, I'm thinking of trying the other one to see how it runs. And that's while we were filling up the sacs to surf, so yeah it had about 2000lbs already filled at that point.

Acetone huh? I guess I'll give it a shot, I would love if those marks just came right off, they're driving me nuts...

I liked the 14.5 X 17.5 very well. Never had an issue with it bogging down. In fact, the L18 could still hit the rev limiter without any ballast in the boat. I suspect with no ballast you will hit the rev limiter pretty easily with your 14.75 X 15.5. But your hole shot will pull stumps, I am sure.

Use the 14.5 X 22 as a paperweight. Eric might give you some cash so he can melt it down. I suspect you should never use it, unless you want to go unballasted and hit 50+ MPH.

coz
04-18-2011, 06:47 PM
SweeeT! :toast: :headbang:

CantRepeat
04-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Is he looking for a contact? That sucks.

tr6coug
04-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Any ideas on how to wax and buff that stuff out? Not super deep scratches at all, but looks awful on the black gel coat.

For scratches in the gel, use 3M Finesse-It II paste to buff them out. For small areas just put it on a rag. Then use a good quality wax.

Cobra Rob
04-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Hey no one said you could borrow my boat! It's supposed to still be in storage..

http://www.cobrapod.com/boat/9.JPG

If you don't mind shoot me a PM with hours and what you paid. I just bought my 07 the end of last season so I am curious. (I only have the LY6 though)

x-swagger
04-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Nice boat Cobra!!!
Have you had it out yet or an off-season purchase?

Cobra Rob
04-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Nice boat Cobra!!!
Have you had it out yet or an off-season purchase?

Took it out a few times last year. It was just not the best weather. This year will be the first time to take out with the river being crowded and sunny. I think we still have another month or 2 before then though :(

scott023
04-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Deadly looking boat Swagger. Congrats on the find.

agarabaghi
04-19-2011, 09:37 AM
just wanted to let everyone know its about 85* and sunny in FL right now =P

Thrall
04-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Nice boat!
You live in Albq? That looks like Santa Rosa. That channel is one of the best places to ride. Wallys don't go back there too much and part of it is always sheltered from the wind.
I lived in Edgewood, twice, Santa Rosa was the go to lake in the spring.

If it's scuffed you'll have to buff and polish it out. Since you got a mile of black gelcoat, just get the polisher and some good compound and polish. Won't be the last time you need it!

x-swagger
04-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Nice boat!
You live in Albq? That looks like Santa Rosa. That channel is one of the best places to ride. Wallys don't go back there too much and part of it is always sheltered from the wind.
I lived in Edgewood, twice, Santa Rosa was the go to lake in the spring.

If it's scuffed you'll have to buff and polish it out. Since you got a mile of black gelcoat, just get the polisher and some good compound and polish. Won't be the last time you need it!

Yessir, that's Santa Rosa. I absolutely love that lake, the channel is great and so is that small bay at the northeast end. As you remember, NM is windy like crazy in the springtime, so the shelter the channel provides is clutch.

x-swagger
04-19-2011, 09:50 AM
One more question for you guys. Unfortunately my trailer did NOT come with a spare =/. I found this style rim on amazon, doesn't match my trailer but the price is right. Will it fit? If anyone knows where I can get a rim that matches I'd love to get that as well...
http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-MasterCraft-Trailer-Wheel-6-5-5/dp/B0039GPDF4

Hrkdrivr
04-19-2011, 09:57 AM
We have an '06 X-45 with the same engine and it came with the 14.5 x 22...works ok for us but top end is about 48 mph. I guess the engine is strong enough that it spins it ok. At WOT we don't get near red-line, however...hmmm.

On the spare tire issue, GET ONE. And make sure you get the trailer level when you hook up to your truck or it will eat tires, experience talking here.

CardenFam
04-19-2011, 10:02 AM
One more question for you guys. Unfortunately my trailer did NOT come with a spare =/. I found this style rim on amazon, doesn't match my trailer but the price is right. Will it fit? If anyone knows where I can get a rim that matches I'd love to get that as well...
http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-MasterCraft-Trailer-Wheel-6-5-5/dp/B0039GPDF4

Right picture, wrong rim for sale in the ad. The ad says 15x7 6 lug which is the wheel that the single axle trailer comes with. You will need a 14x7 5 lug.

http://www.boatmateparts.com/products/Wheel-tag-Wheel/MasterCraft+205+or+75R14+BW+TA+ON+5+LUG+T01+%27MC% 27-t-75-2035.htm

This is the correct wheel for the tandam axle trailers.

x-swagger
04-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Right picture, wrong rim for sale in the ad. The ad says 15x7 6 lug which is the wheel that the single axle trailer comes with. You will need a 14x7 5 lug.

http://www.boatmateparts.com/products/Wheel-tag-Wheel/MasterCraft+205+or+75R14+BW+TA+ON+5+LUG+T01+%27MC% 27-t-75-2035.htm

This is the correct wheel for the tandam axle trailers.

Right on, thanks Carden! $112 seems pretty fair for a rim. Good to know I didn't accidentally order the wrong one..