PDA

View Full Version : Torn vinyl repair?

rdwilt
07-19-2005, 05:12 PM
I noticed a small tear (~3/4") in the vinyl by the bracket on the back sundeck at the edge of the hinge/chrome bracket. It is a '99 Maristar 230VR. I realize this is a tough area to repair but any suggestions are appreciated as I fear it will slowly enlarge. I put some adhesive on it but the chrome bracket pushes up into the vinyl when people are loading/unloading and it didn't last. Anyone grind the edge of the bracket down???? Thanks.
rdw

erkoehler
07-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Use alittle Dr. Vinyl and you'll be set. I wouldn't grind it down at all.

3event
07-19-2005, 06:43 PM
erk, what size repair have you used Dr Vinyl on? I have a small tear (maybe 1/2") on the "sundeck" but I am hesitant to rush ahead and try to doctor up such a visible area. Where do you get the stuff?
thanx

rdwilt
07-19-2005, 06:47 PM
A quick google search only turned up a Dr. Vinyl "service." Is this a product or a company? Thanks
rdw

3event
08-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Just trying to pop this thread back up the list . . . Still looking for Dr Vinyl or another suggestion to repair small tears. Got one in the sundeck that will get worse before long, under 1" right now.

PeteS
08-04-2005, 03:40 PM
I had a tear similiar to the size of yours, on the engine cover of my boat. I went to Boater's World and picked up a procudt called Vinyl Repair or something of that nature.

It is a clear, glue like product that is clear. You simply tape the tear together so the edges are touching, and apply this product over top. Leave the tape on for a bit while it sets, and then remove. It worked excellent for my application. Hope this helps.

Psheehy
08-09-2005, 12:41 AM
Do you put some reinforcing material under the vinyl prior to putting on an adhesive? Otherwise, if the tear is in a bad location, it will have no tensile strength to withstand everyday punishment.

PeteS
08-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Do you put some reinforcing material under the vinyl prior to putting on an adhesive? Otherwise, if the tear is in a bad location, it will have no tensile strength to withstand everyday punishment.
The adhesive itself seemed to be very tenacious, and solidified to a consistency similar to the hardness of a cured epoxy-type solid.

You raise a good question though. My tear was on the engine cover of my boat, which fortunately isn't subjected to weighted lateral movements requiring tensile strength. If the tear were however on a seat cushion for example, would subsequent underlying support be required? My personal, untested hypothesis would suggest "temporarily". The adhesive acts as if it contains a cyanoacrylate of some sort, and may hold up for a while. My advice would be to somehow overlap the edges of the material being repaired to give some structure to the mend. Hope that helps.