PDA

View Full Version : 2003 X-2 MCX - trans fluid

Jason99T/A
04-18-2011, 12:32 PM
I just de-winterized my '03 X2 (MCX)this weekend, which included oil/trans fluid change. Trans had transmission fluid installed by previous owner. I'm debating on what to do go back with. I did not have any strange noises at idle and wasleaning towards just going back with ATF.

Also, I only siphoned about 2.5-3 qts out. Does these seem correct? I thought capacity was closer to 4.5 qts? Thanks.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason

Thrall
04-18-2011, 12:39 PM
That's about the right qty, because I can do an oil change (5qts) and re-fill the trans with exactly 2 gal. Well, I think I shorted my pickup a cup or 2 of oil on it's next oil change but it takes 12qts anyway, it didn't miss it!
I think the reccomendation to switch to 15W40 from ATF was to quiet down the transmission noise. Less noise = better lube in my book.

MattsCraft
04-18-2011, 12:44 PM
You did not get it all out. First time I did it had the same problem, you have to move the suction hose around a lot to get to most of the fluid. Also, a lot of debate on this from MC service techs, FYI, Ilmor is using ATF in the transmissions, not 15W 40W. Personally, if it were me and it had ATF in it, you don't have any issues, I would stick with that.

I am sure you will get other's to chime in and we will see more debate on it with the Ilmor change on the same Tran's!

Jason99T/A
04-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys. I moved the suction around for awhile and thought I got most of it out. I was going to put back 2.5-3 qts regardless as I know that is all that came out.

I'm 95% certain I'll just go back with ATF as I had no issues before....

Jeff d
04-18-2011, 02:40 PM
You can get a little more out by disconnecting the lower cooler hose and letting that run out.

nmcjr
04-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Which tranny do you have? Mine is the 630V and holds 4.2 quarts. If you only pulled out 2.5 quarts, and in fact got it all out, it could be that it was low to begin with and you won't have filled it all the way back up if you only put 2.5 back in. (you will basically be trusting that the previous owner had the right amount in there to begin with) That said, it is always a trick to get all 4 quarts back out. I think the tube has to be pressed down and then sort of angles off to the side to get it all the way to the bottom. I use 15-40 fwiw, but I don't think its a big deal either way on that, just preference.

Jason99T/A
04-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Which tranny do you have? Mine is the 630V and holds 4.2 quarts. If you only pulled out 2.5 quarts, and in fact got it all out, it could be that it was low to begin with and you won't have filled it all the way back up if you only put 2.5 back in. (you will basically be trusting that the previous owner had the right amount in there to begin with) That said, it is always a trick to get all 4 quarts back out. I think the tube has to be pressed down and then sort of angles off to the side to get it all the way to the bottom. I use 15-40 fwiw, but I don't think its a big deal either way on that, just preference.

Thanks. Yes, 630V transmission. I will put 2.5 qts back in and check level. I'll add as needed. I am going to stick with ATF as well.