PDA

View Full Version : Thought about selling the boat yesterday

gatorguy
04-18-2011, 12:47 AM
Yesterday on the lake was a yin & yang experience. Of course I had a blast skiing and surfing with my oldest son and a friend from work and his kids, and the boat is still awesome (it is a MC after all), but everything else about the trip was less than awesome!

First off we almost died. For real! That was probably the worst part. I was on the swim deck about to jump in to surf when it happened. This joker 40 something year old guy on a 3 man wave runner came WOT at us from across the lake. We all kept thinking he was going to vear off. Then as he got even closer I figured he was going to pretend like he was going to come close to us. But as he got close enough to tell he hadn't shaved today it was obvious he was oblivious to our presence despite the fact we had not moved in the last 15 minutes as we filled the ballast. He was looking down fiddling with something by the throttle. We all started yelling and waving. He finally heard us and turned at the last possible second, throwing a wall of water over the boat. He then drove past another boat way too close still at WOT, and I thought he was going to go straight into the sea wall. Needless to say it really got our hearts pumping. I guess next time a few 40S&W round over his bow as he approaches will get his attention a little sooner.

The next part is just me wining about the fact I have to share a public lake in free America. I think Hooligan and his buddies were having a 70mph on over twin engine reunion at my lake. There were about 8-10 and they all thought they needed to come through the only smooth skiable water as did every other boat on the lake. We were the only ones skiing, everyone else was just cruising or going over to the party cove. I don't know why they couldn't just give us a little room. I don't think the 1' rollers would really bother their 26'+ deep-V's, but nope, they had to come through the only wind protected smooth water on the lake. But like I said, it is their right, and I respect that. I just don't like it.

The last part was just plain rudeness. A red and white ps190 with 4 fully clothed people decided they wanted to watch us, also their right on public water. So while my friends son is trying to wakeboard for the first time ever these jokers keep sending rollers his way complicating his life. He never did get up, but an A for effort. His lips and fingers were blue by the time he got out. It wasn't what I would call warm yesterday.

The ramp was a cluster. Actually unusual for this place. Some guy in his 150K race boat was all crooked and about to have a stroke as I backed in next to him to launch. A couple other boats got towed in all at the same time. It was actually entertaining.

And to top it all off, I lost the entire Bearing Buddy out of one of my hubs.

Actually the real cherry on top was the $150 fuel bill on the drive home.

All things considered I still had a blast, and wouldn't consider selling my boat for the world. Unless I was selling it to get a new X14 that is. I just don't want some idiot killing me or my family because they are drunk or stupid.

I will now step off the soap box and give someone else a turn.

setidball
04-18-2011, 02:25 AM
Sorry man! It’s a fallen world. Sometimes it sucks…Bad enough when we screw it up for ourselves but especially so when someone else tries to take it from you. I hope the next round goes more in your favor!! S

Skipper
04-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Yeah, just try again next weekend.

Jerseydave
04-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Here's a few suggestions:

Start early (7am) and finish before noon on weekends. That's what we do and the water is almost always great with little boat traffic.

Ski on weekdays if possible....or go after work until dusk.

$150 total for gas for the day? How far do you have to tow to the lake? Is there anything closer?

Look into joining a ski club on a private lake. You may have to pay up to $2K but well worth it to stay away from the "weekend wallys"

aaron.
04-18-2011, 09:57 AM
dude, i got smoked by a guy on a rental wave runner in 2002 under nearly the exact circumstances...it was ugly (& expensive). your fears are completely understandable.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
04-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Sounds like a typical weekend on San Jacinto river here in N Houston, wave runners thinking they own all the water, jet boats blowing by at 70 mph and baja's screwing up the water. No respect for fellow boaters, even some of the other boarders have no respect when their done.

Thrall
04-18-2011, 10:31 AM
People suck!

aquaman
04-18-2011, 10:32 AM
People suck!

"Other People" suck.

:)

Skipper
04-18-2011, 10:33 AM
People suck!

And roger.....

DooSPX
04-18-2011, 10:34 AM
On my lake, I saw a mid 90's prostar 205 and a late 80's to 90 190 pulling wakeboarders circling eachother (like chasing). I was sickened by the fact that fellow MC owners were that stupid. :noface:
Oh, and there is a kid with a BU wake boat who tries to go as close as possible to other boats and tries to touch them. :shocked:

And lastly, a group of modded Supercharged Sea-Doo's blast around the boat ramp in the way of boaters coming in or trying to launch there boats. :mad:

agarabaghi
04-18-2011, 10:39 AM
one of my favorite things to do is walk down to the dock where i keep my boat and watch the nonsense at the ramp ...

UofU2727
04-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Don't get frustrated. This is a typical weekend on the lake where ever you are in the U.S. I don't even bother going to the lake on weekends. If I do have that crazy urge to go, I go way before 11AM in the morning. We noticed that after that time the "CRAZY" and "STUPID" people show up causing the exact same issues you have had. Here is a shorten version of what happen last year at Utah Lake, and I "HATE" the new X15, 55, and 80 MC boats. Not for what they can do! But for the amount of people "party kids" that get drunk on them, and those that can afford them with no common sence. Here is the story, coming into Ut harbor an X55 full of college kids who were using there "STUPID" parents boat that day decieded they had gone far enough out of the harbor, meaning they just couldn't be patient to get past the markers, gave that titanic boat all she had, producing a massive wave, sending is right for us, I tryed to turn the boat towards the wave and pop the boat over it. Well, got the boat turned but the boat sits so low in the water, it washed over the front anyway and windshield, it soaked my kids on a cool day. So our day was over. All they could do in the X55 was, laugh, some say sorry and others run their mouth. Needless to say it wasn't funny. Until I got the last laugh when I sent the Park police over, when I saw the driver sneaking a drink....

DooSPX
04-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Don't get frustrated. This is a typical weekend on the lake where ever you are in the U.S. I don't even bother going to the lake on weekends. If I do have that crazy urge to go, I go way before 11AM in the morning. We noticed that after that time the "CRAZY" and "STUPID" people show up causing the exact same issues you have had. Here is a shorten version of what happen last year at Utah Lake, and I "HATE" the new X15, 55, and 80 MC boats. Not for what they can do! But for the amount of people "party kids" that get drunk on them, and those that can afford them with no common sence. Here is the story, coming into Ut harbor an X55 full of college kids who were using there "STUPID" parents boat that day decieded they had gone far enough out of the harbor, meaning they just couldn't be patient to get past the markers, gave that titanic boat all she had, producing a massive wave, sending is right for us, I tryed to turn the boat towards the wave and pop the boat over it. Well, got the boat turned but the boat sits so low in the water, it washed over the front anyway and windshield, it soaked my kids on a cool day. So our day was over. All they could do in the X55 was, laugh, some say sorry and others run their mouth. Needless to say it wasn't funny. Until I got the last laugh when I sent the Park police over, when I saw the driver sneaking a drink....

good for you doing the right kind of revenge. ;)

gatorguy
04-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Here's a few suggestions:

Start early (7am) and finish before noon on weekends. That's what we do and the water is almost always great with little boat traffic.

I am by definition an early morning skier. It was bred into me at a young age growing up skiing at Pineview in Utah which I think hands down is the biggest cluster in the country after 10am on a Saturday. We usually are on the water prior to sunrise. This weekend my wife had a "list" for me, so I tried to wait until evening to go. Usually people that are not beached are usually leaving by then.

$150 total for gas for the day? How far do you have to tow to the lake? Is there anything closer?

$75 for the suburban- it was time to fill it up anyway. The lake is only about 8 miles from the house. $75 for the boat- This was the 4th outing on the same tank of gas. So really it wasn't very much $$ for this specific trip. Just a little sticker shock all at once.

Look into joining a ski club on a private lake. You may have to pay up to $2K but well worth it to stay away from the "weekend wallys"

I have thought about it just for access to a ski course, but for just playing with the family I will still go to the lake.

aaron.
04-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Until I got the last laugh when I sent the Park police over, when I saw the driver sneaking a drink....

lame. thats justifiable for getting wet while boating? men walk away, not sucker punch

Skipper
04-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Interesting perception about UoU2727's response to an unsafe boater who was consuming alcoholic beverages....

Drunken, reckless boaters should be allowed to run amuck? I say not! Real men would shoot them on sight and burn their boats to the water line. (Saw that in a Rambo movie.) Drunken, unsafe boating is lame.

aaron.
04-18-2011, 11:59 AM
if you read his post, he said the kids were just leaving the harbor...and they gunned it a little too soon and swamped his boat. if that translates into a bunch of drunks runnning amuck, so be it.

gatorguy
04-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Interesting perception about UoU2727's response to an unsafe boater who was consuming alcoholic beverages....

Drunken, reckless boaters should be allowed to run amuck? I say not! Real men would shoot them on sight and burn their boats to the water line. (Saw that in a Rambo movie.) Drunken, unsafe boating is lame.

+1, all but the shoot and burn their boats. I prefer shoot and keep the boat. At least that's what the Somalia pirates do.:D

mikey.145
04-18-2011, 12:06 PM
99% of the close calls Ive had boating in the last 10 years were all wave runner related, I wish the day would come where they outlaw those things...

shepherd
04-18-2011, 12:09 PM
If the only lakes available to me were like that all the time, I'd probably give up skiing. We have it good here our lake. My sympathies, gatorguy.

bturner2
04-18-2011, 12:10 PM
It could be worse. At least you were on the water. We just got 3" of snow this morning. This is the latest I can recall getting snow. Global warming my butt.

ScrewPull
04-18-2011, 12:55 PM
I boat on Lake Austin and there is no shortage of idiots there, as well. PWCs are present, but not overly so. There is a public park with camping, etc, called Emma Long. That's where the PWCs are and they're usually piloted by people who don't have driver's licenses (for more reasons than age alone), have never operated a water craft of any sort, including a f-ing innertube, and likely have less than an eighth grade education. Passing through that are of the lake, I've had a number of incidents with such idiots. A couple were extremely close. Now, when I go through that area, I stay way over to the side.

While I am an avid gun collector and have been shooting all my life, I don't believe guns are the answer. I have a better solution. It's called a water balloon launcher. Trust me, you'll knock the SOB right off his PWC! You can then laugh your *** off and not worry about doing time for cleansing the gene pool.

Skipper
04-18-2011, 01:24 PM
You ever actually knock some guy off his PWC? I bet they get pretty upset. That could lead to some serious violence.

Maybe calling the water cops was the best solution?

kskonn
04-18-2011, 01:39 PM
I go to a series of very small lakes in texas, they all have a number of pro wakeboarders and locals using the lake. I very rarely ever have any issues. Even people on PWC's will slow down and wait for you to pass if you are pulling a wakeboarder so they don't screw up your water. It is mostly locals and everyone with a boat will slow down to a a no wake speed if you are pulling a boarder and they are not. I am feeling very lucky today to board on those lakes. I truly believe the main reason we don't have issues is because we don't have any party coves etc... Most people come out an wakeboard and then anchor up by the damn at the very end of the lake and drink some beer. We all have the game wardens number on our cell and if anyone shows up doing anything stupid we give him a call. Tubing is illegal on these lakes because they are narrow and unexperienced boaters have killed 3 kids on a tube over the last 5 years by slamming them into a dock on a turn, so yea we call when we see a guy drinking beer and pulling his kids on a tube.

east tx skier
04-18-2011, 01:44 PM
I go to a series of very small lakes in texas, they all have a number of pro wakeboarders and locals using the lake. I very rarely ever have any issues. Even people on PWC's will slow down and wait for you to pass if you are pulling a wakeboarder so they don't screw up your water. It is mostly locals and everyone with a boat will slow down to a a no wake speed if you are pulling a boarder and they are not. I am feeling very lucky today to board on those lakes. I truly believe the main reason we don't have issues is because we don't have any party coves etc... Most people come out an wakeboard and then anchor up by the damn at the very end of the lake and drink some beer. We all have the game wardens number on our cell and if anyone shows up doing anything stupid we give him a call. Tubing is illegal on these lakes because they are narrow and unexperienced boaters have killed 3 kids on a tube over the last 5 years by slamming them into a dock on a turn, so yea we call when we see a guy drinking beer and pulling his kids on a tube.

Lake Dunlap?

kskonn
04-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Lake Dunlap?

Placid, mcqueeney and Dunlap. I most spend my time on Placid, it is the deepest and widest of the three.

dgaugler
04-20-2011, 12:47 AM
You should at least have to pass a IQ test to drive a Jet Ski.

Last year I was pulling a slalom skier at 28 mph and some jerk on a Jet Ski going the opposite direction decides he's going to do a quick turn at full speed right it front of us. I don't know if he thought he was going to spray us or what. But he ends up losing control and ends up just feet off our bow. I slammed the Matercraft in reverse which killed the motor and stopped about 2 feet away from the Jet Ski who was also stopped at this point. This all happened so fast everyone in the boat except me was thrown out of their seats and was too shocked to even say anything. He just looked at us and drove away. I don't think he even had any idea how lucky he was. If I hadn't taken the extreme action I did I'm confident that he would have been killed.

Fortunately everyone and the Mastercraft end up without a scratch, I hope that they're isn't any hidden damage that will surface this year. I put about 25 hours on it after this instance and the tranny fluid still looked clean.

I still re-live the moment when ever I see a jet ski passing.

lanep82
04-20-2011, 08:44 AM
I boat on Lake Austin and there is no shortage of idiots there, as well.

I hear you there. Although the lake is very convenient as it is right in Austin, I much prefer one of the lake upstream. Lake Austin is SO freakin' crowded all the time and I think, out of all the TX lakes I've been on, Lake Austin takes the cake for having the most morons on it.

muskingumriverdocks
04-20-2011, 11:29 AM
99% of my boating is on the Ohio River, and I think it's crowded. Maybe it's not so bad after all. There's always next time

plunk77
04-20-2011, 12:20 PM
the problem on our lake is the idiots on the PWCs who don't threaten the boat but threaten the skiier. we've had several occasions where a PWC will be heading at us and pass us, only to want to turn directly behind us and jump our wake while we have a skiier. there's been instances where they've turned so sharp they jumped the wake where a wakeboarder would be (luckily the few times its happened we haven't had anyone in the water). its a fun hobby to chase them back to their dock if they're kids

pmkkdx
04-20-2011, 12:21 PM
I hear you there. Although the lake is very convenient as it is right in Austin, I much prefer one of the lake upstream. Lake Austin is SO freakin' crowded all the time and I think, out of all the TX lakes I've been on, Lake Austin takes the cake for having the most morons on it.

:D maybe not the most ... but the highest concentration :rolleyes:

StuSX
04-25-2011, 09:03 AM

Seriously? You got wet- in a boat.... and called the cops. Nice. If you had said the guy was weaving around, bugging people, and doing a beer bong- I get it ... but his boat swamped your dingy, he took a sip of a drink, and you call the cops. Did you get picked on at band camp as a kid? Lots of "judgements" in your statements. Excellent use of quotes and capitals to make your "CRYBABY" point. Kids are kids, and you said some were apologetic- I'm guessing the boat owners kids were those kids that said sorry, and their knucklehead friends weren't.. either way- DUI for a wave? Not an equal trade IMO.

aaron.
04-25-2011, 09:13 AM
i agree 100% w/ StuSX

UofU2727
04-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Yah sure, I'm on a lake and got wet, hahahaah......... NOOOOO amount of "BEER" belongs on a boat, Period. Why, do you need it. Is this how you have to have fun is drink while boating. Why can't people drink at home and then stay home. Don't drink near my family. Too many are kill each year by this legal drug. What can I say, it seem, and I'm making a judgment here........that the only ones that didn't like my action, by turning in the kids "under age most of them", is those that like to drink. If I see anyone drinking on a lake, and driving, you bet I'm going to call the police, everytime, end of story. I don't care what boat you have whether it's a diggy or your joy barge. This shouldn't bother you it your under the limit!

aaron.
04-25-2011, 10:07 AM
UofU? i thought mormons went to BYU.. lol

JohnE
04-25-2011, 10:25 AM
So let me get this straight. If I head out to the lake Saturday afternoon with my wife and kids and decide to enjoy a nice cold beer right after launching, and you see me, then you are going to call the Marine Patrol to come check me out? I'm always fine with MP, and they are very active where I boat in NH. But to have you call on me wouldn't particularly sit well. Kind of profiling me, no? 42 year old guy has a cold beer on a hot day so naturally pretty soon he will be drunk and boating recklessly. Have you ever had a drink in your life?

lanep82
04-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Hmmm.....

You DO know that the driver of the boat is perfectly within his legal rights to have a beer (or even a couple) while operating a boat? At least, that's the law in TX. Just as long as he/she is under a .08

Dino Don
04-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Yah sure, I'm on a lake and got wet, hahahaah......... NOOOOO amount of "BEER" belongs on a boat, Period. Why, do you need it. Is this how you have to have fun is drink while boating. Why can't people drink at home and then stay home. Don't drink near my family. Too many are kill each year by this legal drug. What can I say, it seem, and I'm making a judgment here........that the only ones that didn't like my action, by turning in the kids "under age most of them", is those that like to drink. If I see anyone drinking on a lake, and driving, you bet I'm going to call the police, everytime, end of story. I don't care what boat you have whether it's a diggy or your joy barge. This shouldn't bother you it your under the limit!

I'm a Vet. my son and daughter in law are Iraqi Vets, father in law a Vet, uncles Vets. friends and ship mates that didn't come home all gave ---load for the freedoms we have and sadly we abuse. Our MC will spent much of this season pulling adaptive ski equipment for the disabled and handicaped for a rehab hospital. We will also do the same for Wounded Warrior projects. All this said, freedoms are expensive and are surely not free but the part that cannot be supplied is responsibility to go with the freedom. Responsibility should mean anything that impairs our ability to make sound judgments should be avoided but that just seems not to happen. If more people spent time with the groups I just mentioned they may have more understanding of why the above listed post does have merit. IMHO-

Thrall
04-25-2011, 10:56 AM

Wow! Glad you don't boat where I do. I'd hate to get the fish cops called on me when I came over to check out your nice S&S and offered you a beer.
Guess I'd have to swamp you with my "massive wake" before you could dial the phone!:rolleyes:

UofU2727
04-25-2011, 11:27 AM
You guys are taking my comments way to seriously. I being sarcastic a little bit. I don't drink for a few reasons, mainly because of a friend that is no longer here for drinking and losing control of his car, not religious reasons. I don't personally care if you drink. Some just take it way too far and have a little too much. I also said at the end of my post if your under the limit you shouldn't care. Plenty of my friends drink. The situation at Utah Lake happens way too often, not the first time. The inlet going into the harbor is not wide and it wouldn't take too much to send my boat on to the rocks at the point where this happpened. So any amount of wave would do this, that's why it says no wake. The kids didn't seem to care. It's over with I was just venting. I have spent alot to get this boat the way it is, it only takes one careless person to ruin it. Personally, we are looking at buying what I call party boats x15, x35 or 45. Family is growing but the S&S is my baby and will stay for as long as I'm alive.

aaron.
04-25-2011, 01:45 PM
now that, I can agree with you. The idiots that get hammered and lose all regard for safety deserve tickets or worse.

StuSX
04-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for clarifying. Feel free to call the cops when you see someone driving their boat like an A-hole. I back that up 100%, but your post had made it seem like the sip of a drink was your motivation.

I tend to back up Rodney Dangerfield more than Judge Smails in this argument of legalism and the fun police- hence my retort.

That kid could have owned the boat, and they all could have been over 21, and none of them may have been drunk or even impaired, and their parents might be quite smart... just saying....

Good luck on your next boat.

blakehardesty
04-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Bingo to Stu and Aaron. I dont go out without a cooler packed with barley type refreshments. Doesnt mean Im going to drink all of them, or even one of them, but I want the option to do so without some dude looking to call the law. Around these parts thats the quickest way to get your bilge plug pulled.

lettmeknow
04-25-2011, 05:11 PM
you DON'T to have be drinking to be an idiot on the water, nor do all people who drink on the water act like idiots. i can handle a few beers and be safe, be responsible and be civil.

NOT that i do this, but i bet i could operate a boat hammered safer than most weekend wallies do sober.

Skipper
04-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Found the boating accident statistics for 2009 on the USCG website. This table shows the number of boating accidents by contributing factor and the number of deaths. It is interesting to note that although alcohol use was not the primary contributing factor to boating accidents it was the biggest killer by nearly 3 to 1.

citation: http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/workflow_staging/Publications/394.PDF

No surprises in the numbers with the amount of accidents caused by stupid boating either (combination of the other contributing factors). Mix stupid boating with alcohol use and you can expect problems.

I am not saying that people cannot enjoy a drink at the lake...however, the safest policy is that if you drink then you should not drive. Alcohol consumption and boating seems to be the norm on the waters I have visited in Texas and Louisiana. I am willing to let you do your thing and I'll do mine. But, if you need to be stopped because you are creating an imminent threat of death or serious physical injury to others then I would be happy to make the call myself.

east tx skier
04-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Found the boating accident statistics for 2009 on the USCG website. This table shows the number of boating accidents by contributing factor and the number of deaths. It is interesting to note that although alcohol use was not the primary contributing factor to boating accidents it was the biggest killer by nearly 3 to 1.

citation: http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/workflow_staging/Publications/394.PDF

No surprises in the numbers with the amount of accidents caused by stupid boating either (combination of the other contributing factors). Mix stupid boating with alcohol use and you can expect problems.

I am not saying that people cannot enjoy a drink at the lake...however, the safest policy is that if you drink then you should not drive. Alcohol consumption and boating seems to be the norm on the waters I have visited in Texas and Louisiana. I am willing to let you do your thing and I'll do mine. But, if you need to be stopped because you are creating an imminent threat of death or serious physical injury to others then I would be happy to make the call myself.

Once it's imminent, it's too late. Make the call earlier. :)

Our personal preference is to have the booze waiting for us at the dock when we get back.

Skipper
04-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Once it's imminent, it's too late. Make the call earlier. :)

Our personal preference is to have the booze waiting for us at the dock when we get back.

True................................