PDA

View Full Version : Tower Speakers fill with water?????

Grantx15
04-17-2011, 06:24 PM
:(
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=411&pictureid=2961

I just got my new JL tower set up installed by a certified JL dealer. They sound AMAZING!!!

we had a rain storm here in NJ last night and this morning when i went to work on the boat i lowered the speaker can down to adjust the position and notice it was quite heavy, then i noticed they were filled with water!!! clearly JL has a major issue with sealing the speaker cans. i am going straight back to the Dealer in the morning to have them taken off.
i am very very upset, i feel like i just spent $1,177.00 on tower fish tanks. :mad:

my question is, any one that owns the OEM Mastercraft tower speaker set up, have you ever had an issue of water getting into the cans?? or do they seal properly ??

JulioX2
04-17-2011, 06:49 PM
I've never had any issues with mine. My boat saw some heavy rainfall last year and not once did it get water inside the cans.

Grantx15
04-17-2011, 07:29 PM
ok. i am hoping JL has a solution to this issue i have, other wise ill be spending that extra Grand for the OEM MC Cans.

CantRepeat
04-17-2011, 07:31 PM
ok. i am hoping JL has a solution to this issue i have, other wise ill be spending that extra Grand for the OEM MC Cans.

XM7s doo eeeit!

oh, and sorry you are having issues with your cans.

Grantx15
04-17-2011, 07:45 PM
yeah its a real bummer.

let me know if im wrong, but there should be No reason the cans should fill with rain water right?? esp being tower speakers ment for marine use. (outdoors) and im not talking about a little bit damp. i mean it only rained one night and the cans have about a glass full of water or more each!
i can hear it slosh back and forth when i move them.

CantRepeat
04-17-2011, 08:10 PM
yeah its a real bummer.

let me know if im wrong, but there should be No reason the cans should fill with rain water right?? esp being tower speakers ment for marine use. (outdoors) and I'm not talking about a little bit damp. i mean it only rained one night and the cans have about a glass full of water or more each!
i can hear it slosh back and forth when i move them.

You know, I'm not sure. I understand the whole marine use deal but waterproof, I dunno. I don't know what they are designed to handle but if you tossed out a grand and are not happy I'd say, yup go ask the dealer.

Grantx15
04-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Yeah, i will be heading to the Dealer in the morning.
i just expected that they should be sealed around the mounting brackets, it just seems like a very large amount of water got in. who knows maybe they are deffective, or installed wrong.?.?
im not sure but i will find out in the morning.
i will keep you posted on how it turns out

CantRepeat
04-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Right on. On a side note: They are some pretty nice looking cans.

Grantx15
04-17-2011, 08:29 PM
thanks, and yeah in person they look even better. and they sound 10x better than they look! very very crisp/clear and loud!.
i really hope the water issue can be solved.

197 TT
04-17-2011, 08:49 PM
I have the same ones and have the same problem...

Jim@BAWS
04-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Answer one question...was this a MasterCraft dealer or someone else?

You have not made that clear

Jim@BAWS

Grantx15
04-17-2011, 09:07 PM
I have the same ones and have the same problem...

Really!!?? ahh
i was hoping mine were defective... damn.
so now every time it rains ill have to go take them down and drain them?....? this was not worth the money. ha, ill most likely just take them back and get the OEM MC cans. since i was told they dont take on water.

Grantx15
04-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Answer one question...was this a MasterCraft dealer or someone else?

You have not made that clear

Jim@BAWS

no no, Not a mastercraft dealer. Auto Image. certified JL Audio Marine dealer.

Jerseydave
04-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Hello fellow NJ MC owner! Where in NJ are you and where do you run your boat?

I have the stock speaker cans, no problems. Sounds like your JL dealer should fix that problem for you though, water should not get inside those cans.

Glad to hear you have them sounding great though! ;)

JRW160
04-17-2011, 09:18 PM
$1000 would buy a pair of wet sounds pro 80s...

Grantx15
04-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Hey Jerseydave,
im in Chesterfield NJ, and i Run the Mc in the Delaware river out of bordentown NJ.
what year OEM Cans do you have? i need it to fit a 2007...

Grantx15
04-17-2011, 09:21 PM
$1000 would buy a pair of wet sounds pro 80s...

yeah i looked into wet sound. and a freind of mine has them but i just cant get my self to like the look of them. but they do sound great.

Jerseydave
04-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Hey Jerseydave,
im in Chesterfield NJ, and i Run the Mc in the Delaware river out of bordentown NJ.
what year OEM Cans do you have? i need it to fit a 2007...

I use to launch @ B-town but have switched to Florence.....I just like the ramp better, less crowded, paved lot and better at low tide.

I have an '05 X-star with 4 stock cans. Maybe your stereo guy forgot gaskets or something like that? Sounds crazy, but maybe they need a drain hole in the bottom of the can? Either way they should correct your problem or give you a refund. Wetsounds are awesome speakers too, I just don't care for the look of their cans myself.

NVS makes a nice speaker too.

Grantx15
04-17-2011, 09:39 PM
yeah, i have to agree the florance launch is much nicer. i only stay with b town launch bc its only a 3 min drive from my house. plus i get to save gas if i just want to hang out at the sand bar haha.

but yeah if the dealer cant figure out something than ill get my money back and just go with OEM cans. they seem bullet proof for the most part.

Jerseydave
04-17-2011, 09:57 PM
We'll have to look for you out on the river this year. (what color is your X-15?) Sat am is usually when we go, sunday am if we get skunked by weather on sat. I also have friday's off so you may find us out then as well.

We MC owners have to stick together....see you on the river! :D

Grantx15
04-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Yellow/Blue
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=411&pictureid=2905

yeah ill keep an eye out for ya.

i normaly go ride after work during the week so like from 5 till dark im out there at least 2 days a week some times more depending on weather . and yeah weekends all the time.
ill see you out there.

tr6coug
04-18-2011, 03:10 AM
:(
my question is, any one that owns the OEM Mastercraft tower speaker set up, have you ever had an issue of water getting into the cans?? or do they seal properly ??

Yeah... the MC cans leak also. I have 4 MC speakers and after a big rainstorm last fall two of them had water inside. Not much, but some. Gonna break out the silicone sealant this year.

Grantx15
04-18-2011, 11:30 AM
ah ok so maybe the water is gettin into the tower then leaking down in to them... JL is sending me a brand new pair of cans/speakers and ill be doing the same thing. im going to go silicone crazy on the inside of the bracket.
i should have the new set up back up and running in two days.

Thrall
04-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah... the MC cans leak also. I have 4 MC speakers and after a big rainstorm last fall two of them had water inside. Not much, but some. Gonna break out the silicone sealant this year.

Crazy. I have been on the water in a couple good downpours and never any water in the speakers. I have to lower the tower every time to put the boat away, so I'd have seen it.

EarmarkMarine
04-18-2011, 11:41 AM
The JL Audio pods should have gaskets between the speaker and pod and between the pod and overhead mounting bracket. If they are not in place this can be remedied. The only other locations for water to access the pod interior is the seam where the mounting bracket secures to the tower pad or through the hollow center of the mounting where the wires pass through, but in that case you would have to be first getting water in the tower or in where the tower pad mates to speaker mount.
The factory MC speaker pods containing the holagen lamps are not airtight and can take on water. This can be fixed with a removeable interior plate that separates the lamp cavity from the speaker compartment and still provides for lamp access and service.

David
Earmark Marine

Sodar
04-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Stupid question, BUT...

If you guys are storing outside, don't you cover your towers? Seems like you guys are leaving a lot of $$$$ floating out there to get beat on by the elements. Just sayin'!

I use an old Transhield cover when I leave my boat out overnight...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=24444&stc=1&d=1184599800

MC X-15
04-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Yellow/Blue
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=411&pictureid=2905

yeah ill keep an eye out for ya.

i normaly go ride after work during the week so like from 5 till dark im out there at least 2 days a week some times more depending on weather . and yeah weekends all the time.
ill see you out there.

Damn looks alot like mine. Nice Boat

kskonn
04-18-2011, 11:58 AM
I went with the wet sounds and do not have issues with water. they sound awesome. On the other hand I never had an issue with the factory cans and my boat was outside when we got hit with 8-10 inches of rain in a 4 hour period.

Grantx15
04-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Nice! yeah it does look like mine.
i like how your transom is Black, mine is a Dark Navy blue

MC X-15
04-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Nice! yeah it does look like mine.
i like how your transom is Black, mine is a Dark Navy blue

From your pic you can barely tell its dark blue. What color interior do you have?

Grantx15
04-19-2011, 08:29 PM
My Interior is white/light gray and blue inserts and silver inserts in some sections of the seats, dark gray carpet.

Grantx15
07-13-2011, 09:12 AM
And the Fun Continues with JL pods...
More Water inside the pods. Enough that it was dripping out through the speakers.
and being that its 90 degrees every day the water inside the cans evaporates up and all over the wire connections. Also not related to the water issue, the small silver fins that are on either side of the pods (for appearance only) they have been falling off left and right due to super cheap epoxy jL used to put them on.

Totally disappointed with JL

im thinking i should have just spent the extra money and got the Mc Cans