PDA

View Full Version : need help about a tower

bakerracing
04-17-2011, 12:54 PM
I have a 92 prostar 190 and want to put on a tower is it ok or is the boat not able to support. The stress. On the sides of the. Boat

tr6coug
04-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Check out these guys, they have done lots of prostars.

http://www.samsonsports.com

MIskier
04-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Towers do require backing plates where they are mounted to reinforce the fiberglass and resist spider cracking the gel coat. What is your budget for the tower? If you want a nice OEM look and top quality New Dimension towers are the way to go.

bakerracing
04-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Don't want to go cheap but like everything don't want to break the bank

MIskier
04-17-2011, 04:17 PM
New Dimension is the way to go, top quality made in the US. ND used to be the OEM supplier to MC until they went to the current style towers. As I said though you will need to add backing plated to the area where the mounting brackets will be located. This isnt terribly difficult but it will require quite alot of contorting in small spaces to get them where they belong.

TX.X-30 fan
04-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Are the backing plates glassed on or just surface mounted on a retrofit like this?

CantRepeat
04-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Are the backing plates glassed on or just surface mounted on a retrofit like this?

ND ships the tower with the backing plates and a can of kitty hair. The instructions tell you to mold the aluminum plates to the underside of the deck. Once you have that done you mix up your hair and apply about an inch of it to the underside of the deck and then once the hair starts to stiff'in up a little you press the plates into it.

When I did my install I only had to form one plate and the rest were clear of anything that required me to bend them.

TX.X-30 fan
04-17-2011, 07:54 PM
ND ships the tower with the backing plates and a can of kitty hair. The instructions tell you to mold the aluminum plates to the underside of the deck. Once you have that done you mix up your hair and apply about an inch of it to the underside of the deck and then once hair starts to stiff'in up a little you press the plates into it.

When I did my install I only had to form on plate and the rest were clear of anything that required me to bend them.

Pretty slick.

CantRepeat
04-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Pretty slick.

It is a pretty easy install. Hell, my wife was my buddy helper lifting the tower onto the boat for mock ups. I wasn't a member of TT when I pick up the ND tower and did the install. If I had been I would have documented it and post for others.