PDA

View Full Version : Oil Alarm MCX

Thaiwake
04-17-2011, 09:14 AM
My boat is a 2004 X Star with the 5.7L MCX. I had a Check OIL alarm warning on the Tach. The alarm went off after running for about 40 mintues. At last check the oil pressure seemed OK, but I switched off the engine straight away without checking the reading. I checked the cooling system, oil cooler and oil levels and everything seems OK, but the oil filter was really hot to touch. I am worried that the engine oil is getting too hot. I do run the boat out in Thailand and the water is about 83 degrees and hot sun all day.

I am going to change the oil filter tomorrow and see if that helps, but failing that I am not sure what it could be. Is it normal for the filter to get so hot? and if not what could be causing it?

Thanks in advance..

Thrall
04-17-2011, 11:28 AM
The oil filter WILL get hot. Just as hot as the engine oil which I believe is upwards of 200deg F. No need to change the filter unless you're doing an oil change which should be done about every 50 engine hours. 83deg water is nothing. SW US sees 90+ water temps in the summer. If the oil level is fine, no water in the oil (not milky colored) then it's more than likely a bad oil pressure sender. Oil pumps rarely go out in small block chevy engines and unless you have alot of hrs on the engine 1500+ I wouldn't suspect the oil pump.
Did the oil pressure guage come back up to normal when you fired it back up?

TX.X-30 fan
04-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Do you boat in saltwater?

CruisinGA
04-17-2011, 11:54 AM
You need to post some pictures of ya'll wakeboarding in Thailand!

Thaiwake
04-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. Cool so at least that is normal. There is no water in the oil and the pressure is normal when I turn it back on. How can I test the sender? Will it have to be replaced?

Yes the boat is run in Salt water, but I have put a heat exchanger on it, but it is only a half system so still has salt water running through the oil cooler and exhaust. Do you think this could cause a problem?

I'll post up some pics when I figure out how, the bay is awesome out here, check out our website www.wakeupwakeboarding.com, or better yet come out and have a ride :)