PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass parts needed

wtrskr
04-16-2011, 12:32 PM
boat: 1994 prostar tbi.

I want to keep my eye out for a reasonably priced perfect pass system (or to piece it together) and am wondering what I should look out for.

I will using it mostly for slalom free sking. If I do use the course with my boat periodically I won't use the magnets, just hand time it to see that the speeds are close. What will I all need?

Am I correct that I can't use the Drive by Wire models?

I gather that I'll need a master module and a display, what else?

When PP listings have the make listed (mastercraft, malibu, etc.) is that simply for the display or is the functionality different too? In other words, do I have to look for a Mastercraft PP setup?

What if I want to update to GPS down the road, is that doable with an older used PP setup?

Any ideas on what I should expect it to cost?

Thanks for any input.

Skipper
04-16-2011, 01:22 PM
You might try www.ski-it-again.com and look under "speed control" on the left side of the page. At a minimum you need a master module, display, and the servo that attaches to the throttle. Optional is a thru hull paddle. You will need the control wire to the servo and the rpm wire from the engine to the control box and the control box to the display. Optional is a magnet sensor and wire.

Many folks have upgraded to the 3 line display and there may be some one line displays available for cheap (ski-it-again, ebay, craigslist, etc...). Other people have upgraded to star gazer and they may have their master modules for sale. The servo you may have to order directly from perfect pass or skier-to-skier.com.

With just a module, display, and servo you can run the system on the RPM setting and get consistent speeds. Add the magnet sensor and you can use it in slalom mode in a course. Add the paddle wheel and you can dial in speeds for wake boarding.

Check out perfectpass.com and skier-to-skier.com for prices of new systems.

wtrskr
04-16-2011, 02:01 PM
So I need three items (master module, display, and servo) and then just the cords that connect those items. Very helpful.

I found a servo online and it was labeled Malibu. Do the parts have to be "mastercraft"? I understand wanting the display to match the boat brand, but does it matter beyond that?

Just to confirm my understanding, any master module labeled DBW (drive by wire I assume) won't work for my engine?

JLeuck64
04-16-2011, 05:25 PM
I have a PP Pro system version 4.01b that I am not using... its in my 98 LT-1 and would need to remove it, but it's complete and it works. PM me if interested and we can discuss further.

Skipper
04-17-2011, 11:55 AM
So I need three items (master module, display, and servo) and then just the cords that connect those items. Very helpful.

I found a servo online and it was labeled Malibu. Do the parts have to be "mastercraft"? I understand wanting the display to match the boat brand, but does it matter beyond that?

Just to confirm my understanding, any master module labeled DBW (drive by wire I assume) won't work for my engine?

Drive by wire will not work with at standard cable operated throttle.

All PP servos are the same (as far as I know)...so if it is a PP servo it is okay. You would want a mastercraft display on your boat. But, the display is the same electronically, it just has a different face for the different boats.

Jleuk as a complete system. That is the best way to go.

carter3272
04-20-2011, 11:33 PM
i was just on ebay. they have a ton of pp parts. i just searched under mastercraft, or mastercraft perfect pass. good luck

east tx skier
04-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Also, check with Jody at Florida Inboards. He does a lot of Zero Off change overs and has Perfect Pass parts and nice injected Ford engines for sale from time to time.

wtrskr
04-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Jlueck's perfect pass is currently on his LT1 I believe. Maybe he knows this, but if he takes his out and sells it to me, will I have all the parts? I wonder if there are some differences in required cords etc. for a TBI vs. LT1.

I have seen some master modules and displays on Ebay but not the other parts. A lot of the stuff seems to be drive by wire.

Ben
04-21-2011, 11:54 PM
I have a 94 LT1 and from what I remember when I installed, nothing is different. I have to file the throttle connectore a bit, but nothing outside of that. If you are only using for slalom, as it looks you have done, ditch the paddlewheel....

From what I know, all PP will know is you have a 350cu V8, doesn't care if LT1, TPI, etc.

-V-
12-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Since this is along the same lines as this, what would I need to buy to piece together a PP system for a 2000 Maristar, 5.7 TBI? I kinda see from websites what I kind of need but which system componets should I look for? We will be doing mostly wakeboarding but we want to get into surfing.

BrianM
12-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Since this is along the same lines as this, what would I need to buy to piece together a PP system for a 2000 Maristar, 5.7 TBI? I kinda see from websites what I kind of need but which system componets should I look for? We will be doing mostly wakeboarding but we want to get into surfing.
At a minimum you will need the following.

-Master Module with chip
-Display (single or 3 line depending on MM and chip)
-Servo Motor
-MM to Servo Cable
-Power Cable

Depending on the version of PP you may also need
-Paddle wheel
-GPS

More than likely you are not going to find used cables or servo motor unless you buy a complete system from someone. Honestly you aren't going to save much money and it is going to take a bunch of time to collect the parts. Go to www.skiertoskier.com (http://www.skiertoskier.com) and just buy a system, install and enjoy. It will be well worth the cost and effort.