PDA

View Full Version : Water/oil coming out of valve cover breather hose

Davidb
04-14-2011, 09:19 PM
I put the boat in today and had it choke up to warm up the engine before backing off the trailer. I pulled up the engine cover and watery oily milkshake was blowing out of the breather hose that goes from the valve cover and attaches by the air filter. Lots of it. Oil looked fine before I went out today. Please tell me it's not a cracked block! Could it be a hea gasket or something? It's a SBC by the way.

onejdgreen
04-16-2011, 02:05 PM
First thought is moisture that accumulated over the winter. If it was a cracked block I would expect to see alot of water in the oil. Is that ok? Could possible be a head gasket, but I would expect the same, lots of water in oil. Did the engine run ok, over heat, low oil pressure etc?

JimN
04-16-2011, 02:27 PM
I put the boat in today and had it choke up to warm up the engine before backing off the trailer. I pulled up the engine cover and watery oily milkshake was blowing out of the breather hose that goes from the valve cover and attaches by the air filter. Lots of it. Oil looked fine before I went out today. Please tell me it's not a cracked block! Could it be a hea gasket or something? It's a SBC by the way.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's either a bad head gasket or a cracked block/intake manifold.

Who winterized it, what was the procedure and where was it stored? If the light bulb heater was used because "it never gets cold enough here", that's your problem.

JimN
04-16-2011, 02:27 PM
First thought is moisture that accumulated over the winter. If it was a cracked block I would expect to see alot of water in the oil. Is that ok? Could possible be a head gasket, but I would expect the same, lots of water in oil. Did the engine run ok, over heat, low oil pressure etc?

The water isn't under much pressure, so it usually comes out tan and thick.

Davidb
04-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Results are in, cracked block. Next question, if I were to take a complete SBC out of something else, and then use my existing motor mounts, trans, cooling components, starter, alternator, carb, etc. That would work right?

DooSPX
04-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Change over to all the marine componets, then I don't see why not. It should get you back on the water, but a marine engine also has brass freeze plugs as well.

JimN
04-16-2011, 05:51 PM

Is this the original engine? I thought most of the older MCs had Ford engines.

If the cylinder wall is cracked, you can have it bored out and sleeved- racing teams do that all the time. I know you want to get it on the water ASAP, but it's an easy engine to work on and sleeving isn't expensive. While you're at it, you can have all of the cylinders honed, the heads freshened up and maybe some port work. In addition, a new intake manifold will add some juice. It should be quite a bit cheaper than replacing the engine.

DooSPX
04-16-2011, 05:57 PM
To my knowledge they had a SBF, BB Chrysler, and a BBC.
I'm sure he or someone changed to a SBC.

Kingsley X-1
04-16-2011, 11:09 PM
bummer.......