PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft X-15 vs X-25

rupertc
04-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Hey Everyone,

Its come to that time where I get to buy a new boat.... :D
Ive pretty much got my heart set on a mastercraft, I do alot of wakeboarding/wakesurfing/wakeskating and would prefer the boat to be more suited to this style...big wake, BUT i would also like the option to ski aswell, it will be a family boat.

The problem im having is deciding between the X15 and X25. I originally thought of the X2 but im thinking it might be a tad small, it would be nice to be a bit more spacious on the inside.

So what is everyones thoughts on these two boats? I'm going to mainly be using the boat on the river, so how do each handle in these situations? The X25, being bigger, will sit lower in the water, is this going to affect anything?

Everyone please feel free to post your thoughts....
Thanks

ddanenberger
04-14-2011, 09:04 PM
we looked at both before buying the x25. The bow on the 25 is great and wide open for the kids. My wife liked the seats being on hinges on the 25 compared to the 15 lifted off. The x25 at least from my sons prepective had a bigger wake to board too. Both based on our test drives and my son's lesson behind both...the 25 was a better boat for us especially in rough water.

sand2snow22
04-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Being lighter and a different hull shape, the X15 will have a better ski wake

ddanenberger
04-14-2011, 09:17 PM

your are correct, the 15 was a better ski boat, the 25 had better wakes for surfing and boarding.

ddanenberger
04-14-2011, 09:20 PM
by the way...the 25 does not sit low in the water. We have had ours out once so far and were in 1-2 foot rollers. Didn't get any water over the bow and minimal spray when turning. It rode very smoth.

willyt
04-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Correct, the 25 was based on the CSX 220 hull, so it has alot more freeboard than the 15. IMO 25 feels alot bigger than the 15, and both the wake and wakesurf are supposed to be tops (with the exception of an xstar wake anyway). Go to your local dealer and try some out

captain planet
04-14-2011, 10:48 PM

What he said. But the X-15 does the other stuff good as well.

rupertc
04-14-2011, 11:16 PM
being slightly bigger is x25 going to be harder to handle on smaller rivers?
The boat probably wont get used much/at all on lakes where its going to get rough...

captain planet
04-14-2011, 11:30 PM
The X-25 is 2 inches shorter, but 2 inches wider than the X-15. Last I checked the X-25 is also more expensive than the X-15.

MIskier
04-15-2011, 12:17 AM
being slightly bigger is x25 going to be harder to handle on smaller rivers?
The boat probably wont get used much/at all on lakes where its going to get rough...

The x-15 is a better handling boat than the 25, imo the 25 does not handle terribly well in confined spaces.

It is also considerably more expensive as already stated.

kgrove
04-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Ditto all the above, but another notable difference is towing weight... The 15 is almost 1,000 lbs lighter than the 25, though the two boats are similar in overall size. That 1,000 lbs can feel like a big difference to many tow cars.

The weight will likely transfer over to on-water feel as well. My former boat, X-30, is about the same weight as the X-25. I had the same engine in the X-30 as I do my X-15 and the 15 feels much more nimble on the water - getting on plane, turning at speed, and maneuvering around the dock. The engine won't do anything about slow speed maneuvering, but the 25 might be enough heavier to justify getting a bigger engine (yet another reason the 25 could cost a pretty penny more).

It might sound like I'm bagging on the 25, but if I had enough money, I'd replace my X-15 with an X-25 in a heartbeat. I've heard nothing but great things about that boat (except for being for crappy for skiing).