PDA

View Full Version : X-15 Speaker Help

greg21k
04-14-2011, 12:27 PM
In the last 2 months I have had some speaker issues pop up. It started with the starboard speakers going intermittent, and then the tower speakers going in and out. As of tuesday night, neither the port or starboard speaker produced sound, but did buzz constantly, and the starboard speakers were out completely, no sound, no buzz.

What do I need to check to get them working correctly?

Thanks

Greg

EarmarkMarine
04-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Greg,
Speakers won't buzz on their own unless its a manifestation of the music. If you've got a buzz without music then its an electronics issue.
First, you can do no meaningful diagnosis until you've determined that the voltage supply is good. A fully charged resting new flooded battery will be at 12.7 volts and a bit less with age. An AGM may be a little higher. You've got to have at least 12 volts to do your checks.
Next, its simply a matter of process of elimination. Start by taking one of the source unit internal amplifier outputs directly to a speaker and thereby bypassing the external amplifiers. If you get music then it could be the source unit preout stage or the amplifier. You can have accumulative water damage but its unlikely to strike all equipment and all channels.
RCA cable jumpers and speaker wire jumpers are effective tools in verifying and eliminating channel by channel and component by component. Reversing channels can tell you whether the problem is upstream or downstream in the signal path.
Vibration, corrosion or winterization/summerization could have left a supply ground or major connection compromised or lose. So at minimum do an extensive visual and physical check for secureness.
Everyone should have a cheap $10 to 20 multimeter to check voltage and continuity at various points.
Thats a start if you want to tackle it yourself.

David
Earmark Marine
Dallas Texas

greg21k
04-15-2011, 11:13 AM
David,

Thanks for the help. I will be working on it tonight with a buddy who used to be in car audio. I have a multimeter and will check voltage first for sure.

Greg