PDA

View Full Version : Injuries and wakeboard progression

gatorguy
04-14-2011, 10:32 AM
I have noticed a few on this board have been injured lately. Now I guess I'm one of them.

I skied a few sets last Saturday morning, then I rode the surfboard for a while. It was a great morning. Minimal wind, smooth water, and no boats for the 1st few hours, then 2 x-stars showed up and about drown my poor little ps205, but it was ok because I had already skied till I couldn't hang on any more. We were about to leave when I thought I would strap on the wakeboard. My wakeboarding skills are not just bad, they pretty well suck. I can jump the wake and that's it. I was trying to slide sideways (both toes pointing at the boat) when I caught the front edge and had the worst face plant of my life. The board came all the way around and knocked me on the noggin, giving my a partial tear/sprain of the MCL on my right knee.

It's not that bad. I had a hard time walking the rest of the weekend, but I can do stairs with no problem now. I don't need surgery or even a brace, just a few weeks of rest. Problem is I feel great today and feel the need to get out and run or do something from becoming a fat slob, but I know if I do I'll just end up lengthening my recovery. Good news is that it gets me out of the APFT next week.

So after that really drawn out story my question is, how do I progress on the wakeboard without tearing myself to pieces in the process?

jdl xstar
04-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Wakeboarding may rank as one of the the worst sports for the knees. As soon as you are at the level of doing decent sized jumps, knees will be put at serious risk.

Best way to minimize risk of injury is to strengthen your thighs with squats so your quads can help stabilize the knee and support the ligiments. Also, try your best to stay with wake to wake jumps because the landing impact will be much easier on the backside of a wake than out in the flats or between the wakes. Probably the easiest variable to prevent is to not wakebaord when you are tired. Your muscles will be lazy and more strain will be placed on the ligaments.

My experience: torn and replaced ACL in both knees in seperate incedents from double up inverts. I try my best to stick to wake to wake and dont do any double ups unless I'm really trying to show off!

Good luck with your recovery! You'll be back on the water in no time.

greg21k
04-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Best way to minimize risk of injury is to strengthen your thighs with squats so your quads can help stabilize the knee and support the ligiments. Also, try your best to stay with wake to wake jumps because the landing impact will be much easier on the backside of a wake than out in the flats or between the wakes. Probably the easiest variable to prevent is to not wakebaord when you are tired. Your muscles will be lazy and more strain will be placed on the ligaments.

+1

Lunges and split squats are also really good to help strengthen legs and knees. I also recommend a lot of core work and deadlifts to strenghten your back. Work on stretching too, to keep you limber.

Huskie05
04-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Wife keeps a huge bottle of Advil in the boat, basically for me. I get to wake board after everyone else goes, I usually eat crap in a big way. I then come back in the boat, tail tucking and usually swearing and kids reliving my fall, wife hands me 3 Advil, water, and I sit back down and drive. I usually hurt all day. It freaking sucks! I get to surf later, but those falls are not bad at all. I consider myself a great athlete, backcountry skiing, played college football, not that out of shape. Something about wakeboarding is just very hard for me. I can jump the wake and that's about it. When I crash gang, I freaking crash!!!! There are no easy falls for captain fatty. I am 238lbs, so that sucks as well. I have had 6 knee surgeries, so a little nervous when I try to go big. It’s that damn Parks DVD my son bought. Crap looks so easy when you watch at the house, but then you get behind the boat and life gets real weird. This is usually accompanied by son saying don’t be a puss and wife saying honey, don’t get hurt…..I have fallen so hard that my boot has been ripped off the board…

Thinking about an Air Chair, no clue where to put it all. 2 surf boards, 4 wake boards, 2 slalom skis, tube, knee board, and now an air chair???? You will be happy to know I am the toughest SOB on the tube, ever. I have all family records, which includes air, distance in the air, inverted landings, most times throwing up and staying on, and most blood without giving up. Thank you, pretty proud of that. Falling on tubes is much easier than wakeboards, wakeboards slam you before you even know what happened.
Conclusion: Dad looks like a bad *** while behind the wheel driving all the kids and wife! Stay behind the wheel Captain Fatty…

mccobmd
04-14-2011, 03:06 PM
I have started wearing braces on both knees. It doesn't prevent all injuries but any resistance helps. I have one on one knee in this but wear one on each. My kids make fun of me but hopefully it will help them make fun of my wearing them wakeboarding into my 60's.

mccobmd
04-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Oh, by the way, the worst falls I have had are trying surface tricks. If you're learnin slow down to 18mph and say in the wake, there is a reason they say speed kills.

Jeff d
04-14-2011, 03:23 PM
When you get to the point of attempting inverts, especially raleys, get a wakeskate or take the bindings off of an old board and put grip tape on it. This way you can get a few attempts in without having to crash with a big lever on your legs.

gatorguy
04-14-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm frustrated by the injury because I am actually in pretty good shape. I've been pretty dedicated to the 5AM work-out for a long time now. I do tons of squats, dead lifts, and core work. My coordination on the other hand may leave a bit to be desired.

I like the idea of trying tricks at low speed and on a wake skate so I don't have something tweaking my knees and ankles in huge spills. Which by the way are the only type of spills I am able to do on a wakeboard.

I was really depressed Saturday and Sunday thinking I had really hurt myself and potentially cutting my ski season short. I have a Powell trip in August and it would totally kill me to only get to drive for the whole week. But I should be fine in a few weeks as long as I don't try to much before the ligaments get a chance to heal. And I really don't plan on doing much on that stupid wakeboard anymore. I'll leave that to my kids.

Huskie05
04-14-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm frustrated by the injury because I am actually in pretty good shape. I've been pretty dedicated to the 5AM work-out for a long time now. I do tons of squats, dead lifts, and core work. My coordination on the other hand may leave a bit to be desired.

I like the idea of trying tricks at low speed and on a wake skate so I don't have something tweaking my knees and ankles in huge spills. Which by the way are the only type of spills I am able to do on a wakeboard.

I was really depressed Saturday and Sunday thinking I had really hurt myself and potentially cutting my ski season short. I have a Powell trip in August and it would totally kill me to only get to drive for the whole week. But I should be fine in a few weeks as long as I don't try to much before the ligaments get a chance to heal. And I really don't plan on doing much on that stupid wakeboard anymore. I'll leave that to my kids.

Where are you putting out of in Aug at Powell. We have a trip with a houseboat out of A-Point, look for a X55

jbkriss
04-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Man, the older I get, the more attractive wakesurfing gets.

StuSX
04-14-2011, 04:43 PM
I also suck- just wake to wake, and no desire for more. My biggest hurts have been concussion type things from massive face plants. I have found that a quick let go instinct is your best friend. No sense trying to hang on to pull yourself out of trouble- EVER. If you even sniff you are in trouble, whether in the air or doing surface stuff, letting go stops all the pain...

kskonn
04-14-2011, 05:54 PM
I went through this at the peak of last summers boat season. I was doing a backside 180 and when I hit the wake I got way to much launch and not enough distance. I immediatelly let go of the roap and bailed out but when I landed I was leaning forward, the front edge of the board did not go into the water and the back edge of the board snapped down hard. Ultimately I found out the next day that I broke my fibula down the right side. Out for 14 weeks.

I would definitely stay off of it for what ever time the doctor reccomended. My doctor had me doing pull workouts and stationary bike the whole time.

Since I receovered from my ankle injury I started doing crossfit, it has done wonders for my wakeboarding, back and knees. If you like short High intesity workouts(like wakeboarding) then I highly reccomend checking it out. It is a ton of full body work with lifting running, etc...

kskonn
04-14-2011, 05:56 PM
I also suck- just wake to wake, and no desire for more. My biggest hurts have been concussion type things from massive face plants. I have found that a quick let go instinct is your best friend. No sense trying to hang on to pull yourself out of trouble- EVER. If you even sniff you are in trouble, whether in the air or doing surface stuff, letting go stops all the pain...

absolutely agree.

nmcjr
04-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Best way to progress and and at least minimize injuries is to work on fundamentals for each trick, at low speed/no weight and then build up to full speed full ballast attempts. That said, it doesn't really sound like you were pushing it beyond your skill level, just bad luck. Those innocent looking surface tricks can (and will) light you up but add a lot of style to your riding. Check out learnwake.com, lots of progression drills with a big emphasis on safe progression.

BTV
04-14-2011, 06:26 PM
I agree with you guys about letting go if in doubt. Also on Crossfit, I love it. I would suggest finding a CF that includes Olympic lifts like others have suggested. Kskonn where do you go in SA? I'm down there alot and have thought about dropping in somewhere.

Like you guys I want to get better. Has anyone gone to a school? Did it help? Or at 46 years old should I just give up and surf?

nmcjr
04-14-2011, 11:02 PM
I've been to "The Wakeboard Camp" with Kyle Schmidt twice. It's an amazing experience, you learn a ton and its a blast. I'd say you will learn in a week what you would otherwise take two summers to learn. I went with a friend and he learned HS BS 360, HS BS 180, HS Raley, TS FS 360 and TS FS 540 in a week--basically a trick a day. That's probably not typical, but you can see what the potential is. Also, one of the guys I ride with is 46 and another 42-both really good riders.

kskonn
04-15-2011, 12:12 AM
I agree with you guys about letting go if in doubt. Also on Crossfit, I love it. I would suggest finding a CF that includes Olympic lifts like others have suggested. Kskonn where do you go in SA? I'm down there alot and have thought about dropping in somewhere.

Like you guys I want to get better. Has anyone gone to a school? Did it help? Or at 46 years old should I just give up and surf?

I go to river city crossfit, www.rivercitycrossfit.com great place, owners are very cool and would more than happy if you dropped in for a WOD. Let me know if you are in town.

smoketu
04-15-2011, 12:34 AM
I probably haven't wakeboarded in over 10 years until two summers ago when we got another boat. I have taken my share of diggers through the years from water and dirt. The injury list is pretty deep. I think I just finally got to a point in my life where you realize there are other things more important. I still go out and have a great time, but I stick with my few tricks I'm comfortable doing. It sucks being hurt and get tired of all the down time, it's just not worth it. So this last fall I picked up barefooting instead! Believe me the falls are still there but I'd rather eat it without something strapped to my feet. I want to be able to go out and foot in the morning and then cruise with my boys on the board after. So, getting back to the OP, I think you pretty much answered it yourself. Try the new moves when your fresh and be patient. Famous last words,"I'm just gonna go one more time." We've all said that too many times with not too many good endings!

mccobmd
04-15-2011, 09:24 AM
I have come to understand that "one more time" is relegated to the surfboard only.

gatorguy
04-15-2011, 10:58 AM
So, getting back to the OP, I think you pretty much answered it yourself. Try the new moves when your fresh and be patient. Famous last words,"I'm just gonna go one more time." We've all said that too many times with not too many good endings!

You are probably right. Come to think of it I always wipe out worse when I wakeboard after skiing, which is almost always. But the few times I strapped the board on first I had much more successful rides.

aaron.
04-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Wakeboarding will always hurt. The better you get, the more risks you will be willing to take.

On the bright side; as you get better at wakeboarding you will inevitably get better at falling. Just like barefooting...the first couple wipe outs feel like season/life enders...but then your body just learns to tuck and roll.

keep at it