PDA

View Full Version : Gauges again

kev88
04-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Looking for some last minute suggestions before I trek back to the dealer. Last year all gauges died except for voltage....I have VDIG with perfect pass (VDID worked...perfect pass didnt). At winterization had dealer take a look and said battery terminals weren't tight enough...easy fix.....everything worked fine. Took the batteries out and stored with battery tender.

Fast forward to now...put batteries back in...tightened the heck out of the connections..no perfect pass and gauges don't work....except for voltage. Cleaned every ground block/ terminal in the boat and re-tightend. Even ran a wire from the mmdc ground back the block....still nothing.

Hoping for some last minute suggestions......thanks!

davidstan
04-14-2011, 09:26 AM
My Vdig went out completely and I switched the perko to off for 5 min then back on and all was well except fuel gauge is still quirky.

kev88
04-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Thanks - yes I've tried that. The gauges are getting power....they "jump" when I turn the key. Almost certain it's a ground/connection problem.

JimN
04-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Looking for some last minute suggestions before I trek back to the dealer. Last year all gauges died except for voltage....I have VDIG with perfect pass (VDID worked...perfect pass didnt). At winterization had dealer take a look and said battery terminals weren't tight enough...easy fix.....everything worked fine. Took the batteries out and stored with battery tender.

Fast forward to now...put batteries back in...tightened the heck out of the connections..no perfect pass and gauges don't work....except for voltage. Cleaned every ground block/ terminal in the boat and re-tightend. Even ran a wire from the mmdc ground back the block....still nothing.

Hoping for some last minute suggestions......thanks!

Ask if they have the test harness for those gauges. It's something all dealers should have, but some don't because it's not free. WHat kind of speedo pickup(s) does your boat have? If it has pitot-style, the lines need to be cleared when it's winterized. If you're in a place where sub-freezing temperatures are common, the water can freeze and get past the diaphragm, damaging the controller.

kev88
04-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks Jim. My boat has the paddle wheel speedo. Question: I cleaned all the ground points....should I clean the power points/connections too? Would low voltage cause the guages to not work maybe due to corrosion, etc? Although covered by a structure, my boat is exposed to the open air, etc during the winter....maybe it's moisture related?

JimN
04-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks Jim. My boat has the paddle wheel speedo. Question: I cleaned all the ground points....should I clean the power points/connections too? Would low voltage cause the gauges to not work maybe due to corrosion, etc? Although covered by a structure, my boat is exposed to the open air, etc during the winter....maybe it's moisture related?

The plug at the MDC usually has silicone grease on it, so that shouldn't be an issue. The battery terminals may be tight, but were they cleaned before they went on? Also, if the last cable going on touched the terminal repeatedly before it finally seated, it causes all kinds of voltage spikes and microprocessors hate that. I would remove the cables and clean them (sitting over the winter will cause enough corrosion on the lead posts or inserts to be a problem) and make contact once, not repeatedly. This should take enough time that the MDC should be able to reset.

kev88
04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks Jim. I did clean the connections.....going to once again following your instructions.

kev88
04-14-2011, 12:37 PM
At a loss....cleaned and tightened everything....just don't know how the dealer got them to work by cleaning and tightening connections......off to the dealer I'll go I guess.

robandrus
07-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Did you ever find the solution? I just bought a new mmdc, I have all new gauges and still can't get the gauges to even jump. The mmdc has power and a good ground. Boat starts and runs fine and all switches work. I'm going nuts over this. I need to get the boat on the water.

kev88
07-30-2011, 01:21 PM
No. Had an electrical engineer friend help me check grounds and power strength, etc....all checked out fine. He is thinking it's the box or the data transfer wires...think he called those can 1 wires.

agarabaghi
07-30-2011, 01:28 PM
start unplugging 1 gauge at a time

for me my oil pressure gauge went bad and cause all kinds of issues. left it unplugged and the rest worked.

gstringlover
07-31-2011, 01:28 AM
can plus or b plus. wat year is ur boat, those power wires if no good the scanner will not work so check that, also does the boat run, if so its prob the dash module on starboard side under dash depending on wat boat, its true if u store the boat outside and its cold unhook speedo if not lazy remove the box thats about 10x 10 under dssh for winter, need more help 514,891,0007

kev88
07-31-2011, 09:43 PM
My boat is a 2008. Actually this started last season after storing my boat outside for the first time......

JimN
08-01-2011, 09:48 AM
My boat is a 2008. Actually this started last season after storing my boat outside for the first time......

Pitot or star wheel for the speedo? If it has pitot tube(s) and you had weather that was cold enough for water to freeze, I would bet that they weren't drained and it blew out the diaphragm in the MDC box, which allowed water to get in and do whatever damage it could.

kev88
08-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Jim it's starwheel...no tubes. First season...no gauges or perfect pass...this season I've lost water temp and depth also (both in VDIG).