PDA

View Full Version : Relocating batteries, 06 X30.

CantRepeat
04-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Has anyone ever relocated their batteries from the port side to the starboard side in an 06 or newer X30?

Doug G
04-14-2011, 07:28 AM
I haven't. Curious what is motivating the desire?

CantRepeat
04-14-2011, 09:11 AM
A couple of reasons for moving them to starboard.

1. I want to make room for one very large ballast sack on the port side. I don't use the factory cooler so it's wasted space. If I move the batteries I can get one very large custom surf sack for the port side.

2. I want to add a second set of cabin speakers. The switch for the batteries is located to close to the back part of the wall where the port side speaker will mount.

I did a first look and what I'm planning on at this point is making a stainless steel tray that will get attached in the starboard under the seat behind the driver. This way I'll still have all the storage under the tray for anchors and what not.

The fact is, I'm not even close to max weight on the boat and the surf wake could use some help so I'll knock out the weight and speakers in one shot.

I was hoping someone else had look into it already as other ideas are always nice to look at.

jdhunt0
04-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Are you sure the battery doesn't weigh more than the same volume of water would?

Doug G
04-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Makes sense. I hear you about the surf wake. I use the cooler and the starboard big c rap catcher compartment is full of vests and such. I borrowed a set of sacks for a weekend and we loooved the wake but I struggle with the lost space. Space won last year we'll see this year. If there was a decent way to hide a bow sack I would proly be going down a similar road.

CantRepeat
04-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Moving the batteries over opens up more then 16k square inches of space / 231 per gallon x 8 lbs per gallon and you get roughly 600 more lbs of ballast. I rounded down on the numbers but it will be between 600 and 650 more pounds.

The biggest part is it's all in one bag so you don't need to mess with sacks all over your seats and floor. I'm thinking of adding two through hulls and two pumps to fill the bigger sack.

Doug - we tried the factory cooler but putting it in and taking it out was tight. We normally take more food drinks then the factory cooler could handle so we just ditch it. All that's in there now is the mirror and cushions for the walk-through to the swim platform.

On my 92 we had "stuff" out. Cooler behind the driver, towels and snack bag in front of observer seat and we were used to it. When we got the X30 I struggle to find a load plan that put "everything" under a seat in a storage locker. I've stop thinking that way so a cooler in the cabin isn't an issue any longer.

CantRepeat
04-14-2011, 07:17 PM
I got the battery tray cut and welded up today. I don't think I'm going to lose that much space in that compartment. I never stacked stuff up as high as the tray sits right now but we'll see in the end.

I figure there are couple phases to this and phase one is done. I'll move the batteries and reroute the cables next. Order the speakers and new fat sac and finish up the install.

jdhunt0
04-14-2011, 07:41 PM
Moving the batteries over opens up more then 16k square inches of space...

Your battery is much larger than mine.

CantRepeat
04-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Your battery is much larger than mine.

I don't think you understand. I have two batteries but they separate port side storage from the port side locker. Moving the batteries will allow me to use the entire port side of the boat for ballast.

jdhunt0
04-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Ok.

The tube sack fits under the seats perfectly on my X-10. But I guess you have a little more room under there than me.

CantRepeat
04-14-2011, 09:23 PM
If you take a look at this enzo sack...

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-enzo-surf-sac.html

you can see how it has a large end then a long runner.

The large end will go in the rear port locker and then the long runner will extend up the side. The only issue with this is the batteriers are in the way. Moving them to the starboard side will let me run a custom bag that should be about 1600 lbs. The big gain here is I can run max ballast and it will all be under the seat and in the locker.

CantRepeat
04-17-2011, 07:21 PM
So I got the tray done and mounted. If anyone needs ideas on moving their batteries here is one way.

I made the tray from 3/16 SS. I cut the carpet near the starboard side of the boat and put down about 3/4 of an inch of Kitty Hair to secure the tray on that side. I also made a strap that runs from the grab handle bolt down to the tray. Where the deck and the tub meet there is a gap that the tray slides into. There is also enough room to screw into the starboard side hard tank cover. So the tray ends up being attach at 3 points.

The tray is 20" long and 23" wide. I also tigged a little bar across the back and two diagonal supports on the bottom just to give it some added strength.

A test fit before drilling on the boat.
http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/battray1.jpg

It fit pretty well so I went with it.
http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/battray2.jpg

Just a photo of my welds on the bottom support.
http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/battray3.jpg

And here is the final with the battery boxes in place.
http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/battray4.jpg

The best part is I really don't lose any storage under the tray and I gain a ton of space on the port side for ballast.

Just need to reroute the cables and wiring. The other part of this was to make room for two more 7.7s in the back wall of the cabin so that's going to happen as well.