PDA

View Full Version : ballast for 1997 prostar 205

presnalk32
04-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Im trying to add weight to my 1997 prostar 205. Anyone out there have the same model boat and have put weight in it? any suggestions?

gatorguy
04-15-2011, 12:19 AM
I have the same boat. I bought two 750lb bags from wakemakers.com. They have a kit for the best deal I could find. http://www.wakemakers.com/direct-drive-1500-wakeboard-ballast-package.html It comes with 2 750lb bags, fittings, and pump.

I have used the bags a few times now. It takes about 15min to fill them both, and about the same to empty them. To board I put one on either side of the engine, and to surf I place one in the corner across the back, and the 2nd along the same side so they make an L. Just sitting still on the water the rear rub rail is at the water line, and when surfing the swim platform is underwater, and the wave is about knee to mid thigh high. I get a great wave at 10mph with the above set up and my 3 boys (all together they weigh less then 100lbs) sitting on the rear seat which is in the sundeck position.

When not using them I drain and roll them up and put them under the observers seat.

Good luck.

PS. I forgot to mention. Your boat will be totally overloaded. Plate on the side reads about 1375lbs people and gear. This is 1500lbs of H2O not counting any of your gear. Boat drives like a sluggish tank compared to unloaded, and if you stop too quickly the wave will come over the transom and swamp your boat. You have to have a very attentive driver. Also watch out for lake cops.

tommcat
04-17-2011, 05:16 PM
i have 3 bags in mine. a rear seat sack in the back which fits under the seat pretty well unless the bag is completely full, at which time i put the rear seat up into the sundeck position. then i have a bag under each bow seat, although i think i'm changing to the open bow, v shaped bag for the front this year.
i run 2 jabsco ballast puppy pumps in it, but those may go in favor of the new johnson pump since they are a bit faster.

it put out a great wake and doesnt cost me much room in the boat.

Tmoney
04-18-2011, 12:46 AM
Do you have pictures of your ballast? Are the pumps mounted, and where? Also, you just use bags under the front seats and under the orgional rear seat?

tommcat
04-18-2011, 11:28 AM
sorry i dont have any pics.
the pumps are mounted under the engine cover, bolted to the front on the piece that separates the cooler from the engine bay. i have two through hull intakes, one for each pump with a ball valve so i can shut them off completely in case something goes really wrong.
i have the flyhigh rear seat sac(W705) in the rear and a side sac(W703) under each bow seat.

http://www.barefootinternational.com/flyhigh/FATSACS.bifh

tommcat
04-18-2011, 09:45 PM
just curious, what engine and trans do you have in it?

presnalk32
04-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. Really looking forward to a great season on the lake

presnalk32
04-20-2011, 08:16 AM
quick question on the bow seat bags......The ones u say u have seem to be a little large after my measurements. Do they fit well or do u just not fill them up all the way. I would be willing to not fill them completely if they will fit under the seat

tommcat
04-20-2011, 02:04 PM
quick question on the bow seat bags......The ones u say u have seem to be a little large after my measurements. Do they fit well or do u just not fill them up all the way. I would be willing to not fill them completely if they will fit under the seat

they are technically too big for the area when full. i just fill them until they start picking people up off the seats up front. they fit in there fine empty

presnalk32
04-20-2011, 09:23 PM
350 gm 5.7L not sure what the trans is. what does urs have? and does it have a problem with the extra weight?

tommcat
04-21-2011, 04:35 PM
350 gm 5.7L not sure what the trans is. what does urs have? and does it have a problem with the extra weight?

i have the LT-1 with a powerslot trans, it is definitely working hard with full ballast and a bunch of people on board.
i'd suggest a new prop to better handle the weight. the biggest problem you experience is finding it hard to hold a consistent speed with a lot of weight.

presnalk32
04-25-2011, 10:14 PM
sounds good man. Already have a four blade prop that works great. But thanks for all the help man. Have a fun and safe summer!

supturb89
04-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks for this info as well. Probably going to pick up the kit from wakemakers.

lazerhawk
05-07-2011, 03:19 PM
In my experience, if you're after the best wake your boat will make, find out what waterskiers are adding for their kids to wakeboard and double it. I've got a 96' PS190 w/ an LT-1 when I add 1500 lbs (750 on each side of the doghouse) and 7 people the wake is pretty nice and it handles just fine. Sure, you can't do powerturn to pick up downed riders and you have to get off plane nice and easy, but if you're wanting to hot rod around go play in the chop and save the good water for the responsible/respectful riders.

B-rad
05-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Im cleaning my garage and found my old Hippo system that might be a great start for you. Ill get some pics if you or anyone else can use it. I have the switches, four old style bags I think 350 each. The bags are the waterbed fitting style, a three way manifold with servo's and the original manuel. Let me know if interested. or if anyone else reads this and knows someone who could use it. I dont wont this equipment to be wasted sitting in a closet, thanks

Brad