PDA

View Full Version : 02 X-30 Gauge Issues

houtexX30
04-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Hello all. I am having some major issues with the gauges on my 02 X-30. For 2-3 seasons now several of our gauges have worked intermittently. We did a complete overhaul of the stereo a couple months ago and at that time were trying to resolve the gauge issues. We checked all the grounds and all the wiring under the dash looked good. Nothing was loose and all connections had no corrosion what so ever. After going through all the wiring and dis-connecting the gauges one at a time (to try and isolate a single gauge causing the issue) and talking to several dealers, we determined our problem was in the MMDC. Ordered a new one last week, put the boat in the water and the only thing that works is the speedo and depth finder. No tach, oil pressure, voltage, temp or fuel. The gauges seem to move once the ignition is turned on but then they just stay there. I have searched all over to no avail. Has anyone out there had a similar issue? Any help for a forum newbie would be greatly appreciated.

kskonn
04-13-2011, 01:42 PM
I had an issue like that on my fuel and oil pressure guage. Mine ended up being the guage needles were worn out and would not move much. Every now and then they would catch and work. I replaced the guages and have not had a problem since.

03-x30

houtexX30
04-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the input. Do you really think all my gauges could have gone out? They dont have a problem moving. When you first turn on the ignition the tach will move to a random spot and just stay there. When I say move, I mean it will go from 800 to 5000 but never moves once the engine is started. Voltage does the same. Anyone else have any ideas?

kskonn
04-13-2011, 03:37 PM
huh, that is weird. Mine would do that as well but it did not all go out at once.

maybe the sensors that feed the info to the guage have an issue?

bturner2
04-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Had a similar problem with my 03 X2 (couple gauges wouldn't work intermittently). Was told it was a bad ground causing noise on the data bus, a bad gauge putting noise on the data bus or a bad MDC. One recommendation was to run a new larger ground cable to the grounding bus behind the dash. This was supposed to eliminate the noise on the bus. Was also told that the dealer had a tool they could use to determine the a bad gauge or ground issue. Unfortunately (or fortunately for me) I sold the boat before actually fixing the problem.

As a side note the noise theory made sense as when I added perfect pass to the boat I had problems getting it to work consistently. PP sent me a noise filter to place in line going to the MDC which cleared up all the PP problems.

houtexX30
04-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Seems like I've read this post before in another thread. I suppose I could try and run a new ground cable to the grounding block behind the dash. All the cables looked good and we checked all the connections at the block and re-tightened everything. As I said, everyone that I talked to seemed to think it was a bad MMDC box so we replaced that and the gauges are doing exactly the same thing they were with the old MMDC. I find it hard to believe it is a grounding issue as the first gauge to go out was fuel(about 5 years ago), and it seems we have lost about a gauge a year to this point. I would think if it was a ground issue it would have all happened at the same time. If the gauges are bad will they still move when the ignition is powered on? Has anyone else experienced this issue with an early 2000's MC? I would take it to a dealer and have them scan it but the new MC dealer in houston has yet to get the necessary scan tool from MC. I'm really at a loss on this one and dont really want to spend any more money unless I'm sure it will fix the problem.

bturner2
04-15-2011, 09:03 AM
I hear you brother. That's the same thing I felt. When I was trouble shooting the problem I pulled the dash out and loosened, cleaned then tightened all the connections, no change. I then disconnected one gauge at a time to see if the problem would go away, no change. My next step was to either buy a complete new set of gauges off ebay or buy the MDC. By the sounds of your post the MDC wouldn't have fixed my problem either. From a cost perspective it sounds like running a good (large, high quality Marine grade) ground wire to all the terminal blocks would be the next step. After that you have nothing left but to replace all the gauges or all of them one at a time.

I was told that one bad gauge could cause one or all the gauges to act up and not even be the one effected by the problem. That's the problem with any technology implemented on a Bus which is why most newer technologies are implemented in a switched architecture these days. Another direction you may want to go would be to call the manufacture of the gauges to see if they would lend a hand in helping to determine the problem. Medallion makes all the gauges for MasterCraft. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first person to call them.

Jeff d
04-15-2011, 09:18 AM
I think the depth finder from that generation is completely standalone, as in not controlled via the MMDC. That would explain why it's working but doesn't explain why the speedometer would work.

My '00 is the opposite. The speedo was the only gauge not working. I messed with it a little bit, blowing out the tube with compressed air and what not, then just replaced it with a Perfect Pass.

On the fuel gauge it's not a conventional float based sending unit. It's a probe that somehow electrically detects fuel at different levels. Especially from that vintage they came from the factory calibrated for non-ethanol gas. So, if you're putting E10 in there it might give erratic readings. Mine would sometimes show that the tank was overfilled by 50% then other times it would be stuck at 3/4 regardless of the fill level. I found a gas station with regular gas and started using that and no more weird behavior from the gauge.