PDA

View Full Version : Must haves on the boat

02ProstarSammyD
04-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Ok guys so it always turn you know far less than you think you do. I've been on boats for years with my brother and buddies but just bought my first boat this year. Trying to get ready for the season and trying to put together a shopping list to be prepared.

Heres what I have:
(1) 2 man tube......yea I have kids
(1) wake skate
(1) wakeboard
(1) set of skis
(1) charger for the house
various life vests
(1) tow rope for the tube

What would you guys suggest for ropes, jump starters, tools, etc?

Thanks guys. I hate to be noobish but I'd rather admit my shortfalls than fall short on the water.

DooSPX
04-13-2011, 10:58 AM
I usually carry my slalom stick, combo's, a few ropes, vests, jump start box and paddle.

flipper
04-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Half naked women is a must

scott023
04-13-2011, 11:01 AM
1) Dive goggles and a knife (for when you wrap said tow rope around the prop)
2) You didn't mention wakeboard rope :D
3) Oars
4) First Aid kit

thatsmrmastercraft
04-13-2011, 11:04 AM
2) You didn't mention wakeboard rope :D
3) Oars
4) First Aid kit

You have oarlocks in your X45? Is that standard or an option? :D

scott023
04-13-2011, 11:06 AM
You have oarlocks in your X45? Is that standard or an option? :D

Paddles. Call them what you want, I sure as heck can't see myself using them to get to shore with our barge. :D

thatsmrmastercraft
04-13-2011, 11:06 AM
A small tool kit
Spare impeller

jdl xstar
04-13-2011, 11:12 AM
1) Dive goggles and a knife (for when you wrap said tow rope around the prop)2) You didn't mention wakeboard rope :D
3) Oars
4) First Aid kit

Good call. Having these has saved more than one outing before. Plus its good to have a knife on board to slice up limes for tequila.

Get a couple quality bumpers too for when you tie up with another boat or at the dock. I say quality because the cheap plastic ones will leave scuff marks on your hull.

DooSPX
04-13-2011, 11:14 AM
A small tool kit
Spare impeller

Oh, you reminded me I forgot a few things.
well, the same as you. spare impeller and tool kit.

samgreazy
04-13-2011, 11:15 AM
I carry must have tools, just in case you run into any problems!!

agarabaghi
04-13-2011, 11:19 AM
i cary a duffler bag with:

(2) bumpers
(3) ropes
(1) belt
(1) impeller
tools to change each
oil / tranmission fluid are stored on boat

Justjoe
04-13-2011, 11:24 AM
A firearm just in case you encounter pirates.

Double D
04-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Ok guys so it always turn you know far less than you think you do. I've been on boats for years with my brother and buddies but just bought my first boat this year. Trying to get ready for the season and trying to put together a shopping list to be prepared.

Heres what I have:
(1) 2 man tube......yea I have kids
(1) wake skate
(1) wakeboard
(1) set of skis
(1) charger for the house
various life vests
(1) tow rope for the tube

What would you guys suggest for ropes, jump starters, tools, etc?

Thanks guys. I hate to be noobish but I'd rather admit my shortfalls than fall short on the water.

Here is my list: Geeezz, with the new extra battery and woofer in the boat, where am I going to put everything....... including the people...
(1) two-man Tube - deflated (Yes Kids)
(1) battery powered blower - for tube
(1) tow rope for tube
(3) wakeboards - to each his own
(2) wakeboard ropes - to each his own + in case you pull a Scott023 and cut one. :rolleyes:
(3) wakeboard vests - to each his own
(3) additional "Approved" vests so were legal
(3) sets of gloves - to each his own for us who like them
(2) kneeboards - duel riders
(1) barefoot boom
(1) barefoot rope
(2) barefoot suits - size matters
(1) set of Ski's
(1) Ski Rope
(2) noodles for the afore mentioned kids
(3) huggies - 2 for beer, one for soda pop :rolleyes:
(1) anchor
(2) fender pads
(2) tie ropes
(1) oar
(1) orange safety flag
(1) flotation device
(1) American Flag on the Light Pole!
(1) impeller
(1) set of tools
(4) Towels
(1) wipe down towel
(2) types of sun protection
(1) camera
(1) Water bowl for dog + treats
(1) iPod with cable
(1) bag of snacks
(1) 18 pack of beer (Busch Light) :o
(1) cooler for the afore mentioned drinks since I don't have a good built in cooler space available.
(1) waterproof bag with insurance and registration
(1) jumper cables

I'm sure I missed something....

scott023
04-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Good call. Having these has saved more than one outing before. Plus its good to have a knife on board to slice up limes for tequila.

Get a couple quality bumpers too for when you tie up with another boat or at the dock. I say quality because the cheap plastic ones will leave scuff marks on your hull.

I thought I have ''quality fenders'' until I got these ones. Absolutely terrific quality. Had others in our marina (non MC owners) buy them after checking ours out.

http://www.mastercraftbydesign.com/index_70.asp

scott023
04-13-2011, 11:38 AM
A firearm just in case you encounter pirates.

Stu? Is that you? 8p:D

scott023
04-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Here is my list: Geeezz, with the new extra battery and woofer in the boat, where am I going to put everything....... including the people...
(1) tow rope for tube
(2) wakeboard ropes - to each his own + in case you pull a Scott023 and cut one. :rolleyes:
(1) barefoot boom
(1) barefoot rope
(1) set of Ski's
(1) Ski Rope
(1) anchor
(2) fender pads
(2) tie ropes
(1) oar
(1) orange safety flag
(1) flotation device
(1) impeller
(1) set of tools
(4) Towels
(1) wipe down towel
(1) camera
(1) iPod with cable
(1) bag of snacks
(1) cooler for the afore mentioned drinks since I don't have a good built in cooler space available.
(1) jumper cables

I'm sure that we're the only ones that have done that. ;)

Double D
04-13-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm sure that we're the only ones that have done that. ;)

I have one on my record. My wife also has one....

Justjoe
04-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Zip ties
A wire stripping/crimping tool
A couple screwdrivers
Channel locks and/or vice grips.
A small assortment of hose clamps.
Razor blade.

Muttley
04-13-2011, 12:03 PM
Hmm... a mental invenory of what's on my boat at all times... Besides the cooler/snacks/skis/boards/towels/dry suit/wet suit/gloves etc...

Bumpers & dock ropes
CCGA life jackets
First aid kit
Fire extinguisher
Sunscreen
Lip balm
Extra sunglasses
Bio dish soap (ski lube)
A quart of oil
12v air pump
2 Ski ropes & handles and a wakeboard rope

Except for the paddle, all this fits in an ice cream bucket (for bailing):
Extra boat key/gas key
Razor knife
Electrical tape
Nylon ties
A wee bit of tie wire
3' of electrical wire
A multi-screwdriver
A folding multi plier tool with cutter
A cut down crescent wrench
Nail file
Various allen wrenches (to tighten tower)
Flashlight
Extra Impeller
Small rag
Vinyl repair kit
And most important, a 1/2 roll of biodegradable toilet paper, for the women. If it's cold, they don't want to get there little tushies wet.

frosty
04-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Here is my list:

Yup... I didn't see the aforementioned "half naked woman" but I'm sure you could substitute a completely naked babe, as long as the 1/2 naked woman doesn't find out about it... then, all could be lost!

rem_pss308
04-13-2011, 12:21 PM
This is what stays on the boat 24-7
(2) wakeboards
(2) wakeboard ropes
(5) orange vests
(6) wakeboard vests
(1) childs vest
(4)fat sacs
(1) sac pump
(3) bottles of various sunscreen
(1) small first aid kit
(1) medium size tool box with various wrenches, zip ties, knife, fuel pressure gauge, impeller for water pump, and ballast pumps, fuses, electrical tape,Bulbs for the nav lights and a volt meter. also spare belt for engine
(1) dry box with crackers, and snacks.
(1) case of bottled water
(2) bumpers
(1) old cap with if the sun gets in the eyes driving.
(1) collapsible paddle
(1) extra pair of sunglasses
Extra fire extinguisher
(1) flashlight " store with batteries out of it"
(1) roll of toilet paper store in ziplock

willyt
04-13-2011, 12:36 PM
I have one on my record. My wife also has one....

mastercraft has 2. Sorry matt hahah

I may have missed it, but paintcan opener for pulling the impeller and spare impellar gasket?

Extra prop/prop nut/SS cotter pin.

I have a buddy that keeps a full bar on his boat (no lie, like 20 bottle of liquor). I dont recommend that

GT500 MC
04-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Damn, after seeing some of these lists, I'm woefully unprepared. Some very good advice on here though.

02ProstarSammyD
04-13-2011, 12:51 PM
What kind of wake ropes/ski ropes do you suggest? Again hate to be dumb but I always just used what was put in my hand. Didn't think about the impeller. I always carry a knife (for limes...REDSTRIPE MON!) but didn't think of goggles haha

Huskie05
04-13-2011, 01:10 PM
You guys got everything I could think of except one, ship to shore radio... you can get a portable handheld for a couple hundred bucks. The one time you need it will really come in handy….

Dino Don
04-13-2011, 01:11 PM
(1) tow rope for tube
(1) barefoot boom
(1) barefoot rope
(1) set of Ski's
(1) Ski Rope
(1) anchor
(2) fender pads
(2) tie ropes
(1) oar
(1) orange safety flag
(1) flotation device
(1) impeller
(1) set of tools
(4) Towels
(1) wipe down towel
(1) camera
(1) iPod with cable
(1) bag of snacks
(1) jumper cables

I'm sure I missed something....[/QUOTE]

Man, I'd have to tow something to carry all the stuff! My '87 ProStar not that big on storage. Have a fair amount but not all---WOW!

Barefooter92
04-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Seriously guys...what kind of offshore rig you running? We are talking fine tuned tournament ski boats here. If I carried all the things on this list I would have to have the pontoon in tow.:D

Huskie05
04-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Seriously guys...what kind of offshore rig you running? We are talking fine tuned tournament ski boats here. If I carried all the things on this list I would have to have the pontoon in tow.:D

Depends on where you boat, if you are out in the middles of Powell, have issues, you will need to help your self out of a rough spot. if its really bad, ship to shore is a life saver...
if you are on a smaller boat and boat on a lake that is smaller, then you can skip a lot of the crap we have to pack in at Powell. But, half naked ladies are a must, unless your wife and kids are there like mine, then you have to have skip that... damn it

bobx1
04-13-2011, 01:18 PM
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=71783&pdesc=Hand_Bilge_Pump&aID=601Y1&merchID=4006

Barefooter92
04-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Yeah your right. Small inland lakes have many helping hands to get you back to the dock. But then again HUSKIE if I had your ride complete with Mastercraft lakeside service I would have room for it all!

rjracin240
04-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Just wanted to put in a PSA here for a few items that were not mentioned and would have made some peoples lifes a lot easier and gotten me to bed a lot sooner instead of turning dead dinosaurs into exhaust all night long searching, back in the day.

1)Signal mirror....you would be amazed at how far these can be seen when they had all the people leaving Cuba and floating in their innertubes/rafts etc, we would be able to spot their mirrors from several miles away.
2)ELT/EPIRB Emergency Locator Transmitter Always found the ELT/EPIRB but not necessarily the people who launched them.....in other words tie yourself off to it
3)Flare Gun not much to say about these pretty simple
4)Strobe Light.... the Coast Guard used to have a few Schweizers (spelling is probably wrong) one of them took off out of PR enroute to it's search pattern the Pilot and Air Crewman saw a orange glow coming out from the engine cowling, they suspected a engine fire and bailed out after they called a mayday, one of the Helo's was gettting ready to launch and were diverted to the SAR (Search And Rescue) case and as soon as they got airborne they were able to spot the Strobe Lights from approximately 10 miles away with their NVG Goggles (Night Vision Goggles)
5) VHF/FM radio installed on boat or portable one Cell phones are not always in range or able to be DF'd on. (Ability of radio receivers aboard rescue boats/helo's to home in on your radio signal) Secondly if you are being rescued by a helo and trying to vector the helo in to you.....cell phones just dont work that good inside a helo (TOO MUCH NOISE)
6)Outer wear commensurate with water and ambient temperature (answered lots of calls for PIW's (people in the water) while stationed in San Francisco, ambient temp might be nice and warm however if they went in the water, they were usually pretty much toast within 40 minutes or less. With that being said, if you have wound up getting yourself lost pretty good, or in a position that is incorrect from what you are reporting. As night falls and it cools you also open yourself up to hypothermia. Stay warm, towels are not very warm.
7)Plenty of water, stay hydrated.

That is it for equipment, will add if I think of anything else later.

Few survival tips since I am on a little roll:

A)Always stay together and as close to the boat as possible if you go in the water (bigger the target to see, better chance to be seen!)
B)Always know your position, and aware of your surroundings
C)Stay positive
D)If you get stuck in the mud when the tide goes out while anchored, dont jump in the mud and think you are going to walk to the shore, more than likely you will get stuck in the mud halfway between the boat and land (Happens all the time in San Francisco Bay and Delta)

Some of you boat on some pretty big bodies of water or go offshore, take the above list with a grain of salt and merely suggestions as what you might possibly need. Tried to relate some experiences, so that you wouldd know the reasoning behind them. Know the thread was containing list's to insure fun was had; but just wanted to address the often part of boating essential's that are forgotten or overlooked

MasterCraftByDesign
04-13-2011, 01:27 PM
I think that anything on www.mastercraftbydesign.com is absolutely necessary for any MasterCraft outing.

Hope you enjoy my shameless plug!

Thanks,

Jim D.
www.mastercraftbydesign.com

wakescene
04-13-2011, 01:39 PM
I'll add some items...

High powered flashlight, or spotlight (I may have missed this being mentioned)
Ratchet straps (long ones, they have helped me from time to time)

Cell Phone (it's a given, but not everyone brings one!)
SeaTow Membership!!! Or membership at your local lakes towing facility (very low-cost insurance)

73blue
04-13-2011, 01:56 PM
Damn, after seeing some of these lists, I'm woefully unprepared. Some very good advice on here though.

This. I'm lucky if I remember my ipod and a bottle of water. Fortunately my ride spot is <10 min from the marina, so if something is lost/broken/forgotten its a quick trip/tow.

flipper
04-13-2011, 02:14 PM
I had the same thought

Justjoe
04-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Getting a bit out of control here. Rein it in.

All I need are some cool tunes, and some tasty waves.

02ProstarSammyD
04-13-2011, 02:24 PM
So what wake rope/handles are you guys using?

Huskie05
04-13-2011, 02:27 PM

Everytime we go to Marine Products here in Utah we are buying new ropes and handles. I think we have a lot of Ronix gear. They are all pretty good. comes in handy when one breaks, but I have like 8 on the boat, pretty dumb.

Justjoe
04-13-2011, 02:39 PM

Just a crap load of binder-twine and a couple short axe handles. Anything else is just showing off.

scott023
04-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Everytime we go to Marine Products here in Utah we are buying new ropes and handles. I think we have a lot of Ronix gear. They are all pretty good. comes in handy when one breaks, but I have like 8 on the boat, pretty dumb.

We have all Ronix lines and handles for wakeboarding too. Great product.

Justjoe
04-13-2011, 02:57 PM
We have all Ronix lines and handles for wakeboarding too. Great product.

I had a friend....ok, a "friend", get herpes from a Ronix handle.

wakescene
04-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Just a crap load of binder-twine and a couple short axe handles. Anything else is just showing off.

LOL, this is totally my Wakesurf rope. It's from the late 80's. 3-4 short sections of knotted Nylon rope with a seriously old callous inducing handle. Of the different crews I board with, we all have a piece of water sports history on our boats that we still currently use.

scott023
04-13-2011, 02:58 PM
I had a friend....ok, a "friend", get herpes from a Ronix handle.

sounds like an episode from "Seinfeld". :D

thatsmrmastercraft
04-13-2011, 03:00 PM

Been using Proline for years. No complaints.

scott023
04-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Been using Proline for years. No complaints.

Our surf ropes are Proline. No complaints here either.

Justjoe
04-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Our surf ropes are Proline. No complaints here either.

Ha! You could use an old umbilical chord for surfing!

Not that I have...

Double D
04-13-2011, 04:57 PM

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205. And sometimes I have about all that in the boat, crazy as it may seem...

flipper
04-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Just wanted to put in a PSA here for a few items that were not mentioned and would have made some peoples lifes a lot easier and gotten me to bed a lot sooner instead of turning dead dinosaurs into exhaust all night long searching, back in the day.

1)Signal mirror....you would be amazed at how far these can be seen when they had all the people leaving Cuba and floating in their inner tubes/rafts etc, we would be able to spot their mirrors from several miles away.
2)ELT/EPIRB Emergency Locator Transmitter Always found the ELT/EPIRB but not necessarily the people who launched them.....in other words tie yourself off to it
4)Strobe Light.... the Coast Guard used to have a few Schweizers (spelling is probably wrong) one of them took off out of PR enroute to it's search pattern the Pilot and Air Crewman saw a orange glow coming out from the engine cowling, they suspected a engine fire and bailed out after they called a mayday, one of the Helo's was gettting ready to launch and were diverted to the SAR (Search And Rescue) case and as soon as they got airborne they were able to spot the Strobe Lights from approximately 10 miles away with their NVG Goggles (Night Vision Goggles)
5) VHF/FM radio installed on boat or portable one Cell phones are not always in range or able to be DF'd on. (Ability of radio receivers aboard rescue boats/helo's to home in on your radio signal) Secondly if you are being rescued by a helo and trying to vector the helo in to you.....cell phones just dont work that good inside a helo (TOO MUCH NOISE)
6)Outer wear commensurate with water and ambient temperature (answered lots of calls for PIW's (people in the water) while stationed in San Francisco ambient temp might be nice and warm however if they went in the water they were usually pretty much toast within 40 minutes or less. With that being said if you have wound up getting yourself lost pretty good or in a position that is incorrect from what you are reporting as night falls and it cools you also open yourself up to hypothermia. Always wished during those searches that we would come across that one group of females that needed that body to body warmth to bring them out of hypothermia!!! (what can I say got to keep yourself alert while searching).

A)Always stay together and as close to the boat as possible if you go in the water (bigger the target to see, better chance to be seen!)
C)Stay positive

Lunch is over will add more later, know the thread was containing list's to insure fun was had but just wanted to address the often part of boating essential's that are forgotten or overlooked

I like to stay on the safe side though, so when I go to the little lake in my ski boat I bring...

2 life jackets for each person
2 paddles
2 bailers
2 manual bilge pumps
2 anchors, 6 feet of chain, 400 feet of rope
1 horn
2 flash lights
2 life buoys and 100 feet of rope
6 red flares
6 red rockets
6 orange smokes
5 dye markers
2 mirrors
3 fire extinguishers
VHF radio
An emergency position indication radio beacon
single side band radio phone transceiver
life raft with patch kit
medium freq direction finder
radar reflector
Maps and charts
Extra clothes
sub zero survival dry suit
first aid kit
defibrillator
and 2 standby paramedics
night vision goggles

I'm sure there is more I keep with me, but that covers the basics.

east tx skier
04-13-2011, 05:54 PM
We carry this now. Recharge every other month.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/wxPIA011lbLkm0MtOIW5kvK4FNHIfS1a4y2LAWfUYkd_LKVOTZ MkQ13lHNL6XZxpiO8K-lqDYf3my3ZSILsaP5qd1RT8hyymLY-5vcFVDNlHEXKK6nsDZVj_xvCsBz-hV69wKGbms2UNgJ-8b_2H0sEXAR9dhfBEMKo2cl6T4T6Cyc8HP3phmw1M1hMHMduwx C-BGEXe4DhSBCo

A plug in Q-beam Spotlight is handy, too.

JohnE
04-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Wow, I thought the Ambassador was the only one to bring night vision goggles to the lake.

jeffbare
04-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Between the amount of space your inboards take up, and the crap required to keep them going is amazing. Mn I love the BF200 and ProV200, power, speed, only thing you have to make sure of is that it is always peeing.

Sodar
04-13-2011, 06:25 PM
I like to stay on the safe side though, so when I go to the little lake in my ski boat I bring...

2 paddles
2 bailers
2 manual bilge pumps
1 horn
2 flash lights
6 red flares
6 red rockets
6 orange smokes
5 dye markers
2 mirrors
3 fire extinguishers
VHF radio
life raft with patch kit
radar reflector
Maps and charts
Extra clothes
first aid kit
defibrillator
and 2 standby paramedics
night vision goggles

Good thinking. Safety first.

I failed to see your spare air canister and diving mask. What gives?

thatsmrmastercraft
04-13-2011, 06:35 PM

Missing EPIRB and back-up EPIRB too.

flipper
04-13-2011, 06:35 PM

I figured that's just a given.

tex
04-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Sky Ski
Jumpers
Wake Skis
Wife's Swivel
Kid's Kneeboard
Step-off ski
Barefoot suit
Jacket
Some type of rope.
Beer

JohnE
04-13-2011, 06:53 PM

He had an EPIRB on the original list. He just spelled it out to confuse the meechegun guys

Sodar
04-13-2011, 06:58 PM

Philip always has never lacked in the safety department. I am certain he has crash pumps mounted, as well as a self-inflating life raft.

Scooter, when you get those MBD Oarlocks installed, take some pics. I am sure with gas prices more than a few people will be interested.

Sodar
04-13-2011, 06:59 PM
He had an EPIRB on the original list. He just spelled it out to confuse the meechegun guys

Minni-soda guys, too.

CantRepeat
04-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Just a signal mirror to guide in the aircraft with the heavy drops full of beer and porn.

bobx1
04-13-2011, 07:06 PM
I think I saw an Xstar with a "kicker motor" hooked to the teak platform. Better add that to the list.....

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/39868-8hp-9-9hp-4-stroke-outboards-bigfoot-electric-start-outboard-96lb-20-shaft-length-r-2-42-1-gearing-integral-3-2-gallon-tank.html

flipper
04-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Philip always has never lacked in the safety department. I am certain he has crash pumps mounted, as well as a self-inflating life raft.

Scooter, when you get those MBD Oarlocks installed, take some pics. I am sure with gas prices more than a few people will be interested.
Life raft was on the list, along with a patch kit just incase. The life raft has a whole list of it's own for safety gear. :cool:

rjracin240
04-13-2011, 08:47 PM

2 paddles
2 bailers
2 manual bilge pumps
1 horn
2 flash lights
6 red flares
6 red rockets
6 orange smokes
5 dye markers
2 mirrors
3 fire extinguishers
VHF radio
life raft with patch kit
radar reflector
Maps and charts
Extra clothes
first aid kit
defibrillator
and 2 standby paramedics
night vision goggles

Should have figured I would have gotten a beat down on my post but seriously the post was to be used with some common sense and discretion.
Reading the post's on here there are some that boat on some pretty big boodies of water where the suggestions might be pertininent, also noticed a lot of people do some offshore boating as well.

So with all that being said just like in racing if you have a $10 head then buy a $10 helmet and keep the beat down coming getting some good laughs out of them.

BROUSSARD
04-13-2011, 09:08 PM

MasterLine with a Freestyler handle

Thrall
04-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Didn't read thru all the bs, but I carry alot of the stuff mentioned tools and all the boat crap like bumpers,etc.
Couple other things, spare fuel pump, fuel line tool and a serpentine belt.

Cmpdman
04-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Very entertaining thread! I think MC might be building an X4000 to be big enough to carry all thus stuff. That being said, I do carry a lot of safety gear.

Justjoe
04-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Should have figured I would have gotten a beat down on my post but seriously the post was to be used with some common sense and discretion.
Reading the post's on here there are some that boat on some pretty big boodies of water where the suggestions might be pertininent, also noticed a lot of people do some offshore boating as well.

So with all that being said just like in racing if you have a $10 head then buy a $10 helmet and keep the beat down coming getting some good laughs out of them.

I use a $20 helmet, cause I couldn't find one for under $10. Guess I can go in twice??

BROUSSARD
04-13-2011, 09:59 PM
O, and did i mention that spare fuel pump!!!!!!!!!!!

Mastercraft

Bring a spare fuel pump!

rand49er
04-13-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm sure these have been mentioned ...

- Fire extinguisher
- One of those compressed-air sound makers
- Throwable seat cushion
- Boat registration

nmcjr
04-14-2011, 12:43 AM

This is a great package, and my current favorite handle--stitched chamois, floats, and a good price (other colors available):

http://www.evo.com/wakeboard-handles-and-ropes/proline-lgs-custom-evo-15-handle-with-80-ft-neon-green-mainline-2010.aspx

As far as your original list, I'd add a box achor and shore spike and lines etc. to the "must have" list--best anchor out there and will save you a lot of hassle.

RMUDBUGS
04-14-2011, 01:16 AM
7 pages and no one list condoms, maybe they come with the "half naked ladies"

Doug G
04-14-2011, 01:18 AM
what about the fish finder, tackle box and rods?

thatsmrmastercraft
04-14-2011, 01:20 AM

Don't feel to bad about all us guys who would rather be out in our boats having some fun. In a short amount of time there will be a whole lot less of this going on.

gotta_ski
04-14-2011, 01:24 AM
Something not mentioned here is a 50 ft. coil of non-ski or wakeboard rope for towing/ being towed by other boats. I'd rather not use my expensive ski and wakeboard ropes for this. And if its windy and I can't get my rope back right away I'm not worried about getting my expensive rope back. I also keep a carabiner or two with the tow rope. I can tie a bowline, but the knucklehead on the other boat usually can't. Saves me having to jump in and do it myself or trying to untie his stupid granny knot later on after towing a 4000 lb boat with it.

02ProstarSammyD
04-14-2011, 09:28 AM
7 pages and no one list condoms, maybe they come with the "half naked ladies"

Condoms are for sailors

thatsmrmastercraft
04-14-2011, 10:02 AM

1)Signal mirror....you would be amazed at how far these can be seen when they had all the people leaving Cuba and floating in their innertubes/rafts etc, we would be able to spot their mirrors from several miles away.
6)Outer wear commensurate with water and ambient temperature (answered lots of calls for PIW's (people in the water) while stationed in San Francisco, ambient temp might be nice and warm however if they went in the water, they were usually pretty much toast within 40 minutes or less. With that being said, if you have wound up getting yourself lost pretty good, or in a position that is incorrect from what you are reporting. As night falls and it cools you also open yourself up to hypothermia. Stay warm, towels are not very warm.

C)Stay positive
D)If you get stuck in the mud when the tide goes out while anchored, dont jump in the mud and think you are going to walk to the shore, more than likely you will get stuck in the mud halfway between the boat and land (Happens all the time in San Francisco Bay and Delta)

Some of you boat on some pretty big bodies of water or go offshore, take the above list with a grain of salt and merely suggestions as what you might possibly need. Tried to relate some experiences, so that you wouldd know the reasoning behind them. Know the thread was containing list's to insure fun was had; but just wanted to address the often part of boating essential's that are forgotten or overlooked

Minni-soda guys, too.

Evidently I took a lunch break somewhere between chapter two and chapter three of the post and lost track of some of the items .:rolleyes:

CantRepeat
04-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Condoms are for sailors

And fresh horses for the men?

CantRepeat
04-14-2011, 10:17 AM

No, it's a great thread. Even though some of us are using it to pull the chain there's still some good info here. There are a lot of first time boat owners, not just first time MC owners, that come here and will still get a some value from your thread.

Double D
04-14-2011, 11:11 AM

Dude, I was serious with my list!!!

flipper
04-14-2011, 11:45 AM
We gotta have some fun around here.

CantRepeat
04-14-2011, 12:14 PM
We gotta have some fun around here.

Said the guy that likes Jim's bikini. Don't lie!

Hrkdrivr
04-14-2011, 11:17 PM

We actually had the goggles and a knife on board the one time I backed over a rope and spun it around the prop shaft. But it's a loooonng way to the prop shaft under our X-45. Many trips to the prop and back to get air. So I had an idea to bring along a length of hose to use as a breathing tube. We got some lawn irrigation pipe, half-inch I think, and tried it out next time. No worky. Once you get a little bit under water I guess the water pressure on your body makes it nearly impossible to inhale through the tube. I guess that's why SCUBA tanks are pressurized??

captain planet
04-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Barefoot suit
Barefoot rope
Boom
Slalom ski
Slalom rope
six-pack

barefoot
04-14-2011, 11:57 PM
bottle opener and some tools. Oh, yeah, a full tank of gas and a bunch of ladies. And beer. I always carry a few ski lines and the list that captain planet has. That about covers it for me....

kgrove
04-15-2011, 02:42 AM
a couple more handy items:
quart of motor oil
o-ring for strainer (in case you lose the existing one after clearing a clogged strainer)
extra boat key (I keep one screwed to the inside wall of one of my storage compartments)
extra car key (ditto above)

02ProstarSammyD
05-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Please add fuses of various size to the lists. When you blow your radio fuse 10 min after launch it makes for a quiet day

wheelerlake
05-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Love the 2 standby paramedics! We don't have to as I'm an ICU nurse and former EMT and husband is former FF/paramedic, just without all our work toys:) I have often thought of how to get a long board on the boat just in case, or what I would use in case of spine/head injuries:)

DooSPX
05-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Yesterday, I found out how great it is to have goggles and a knife onboard :rolleyes:

CantRepeat
05-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Yesterday, I found out how great it is to have goggles and a knife onboard :rolleyes:

I guess you're in the market for a new rope as well? :(